Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Babymoon!

(43 Posts)
ElleMcElle Wed 31-May-17 18:09:19

Hello! I would love suggestions for a UK based baby moon that doesn't cost an absolute bomb. Was looking at Scarlet Hotel in Cornwall, which we've been to before - but any other (less expensive) ideas would be much appreciated! A bit of spa time would be nice, but a lovely hotel in a relaxed setting is the priority. Thanks!

Nanasueathome Wed 31-May-17 18:10:29

What's a babymoon?

backaftera2yearbreak Wed 31-May-17 18:11:22

A baby moon is when you lick yourself away after the baby is born.

backaftera2yearbreak Wed 31-May-17 18:11:31

Lock

Mylittlestsunshine Wed 31-May-17 18:12:41

I thought a babymoon was when you went away one last time before baby arrives?

PotteringAlong Wed 31-May-17 18:14:09

It's meant to be after the baby arrives in the same way the honeymoon is after the wedding.

ElleMcElle Wed 31-May-17 18:14:24

Ha - I might well end up licking my wounds after the baby is born... But I meant @Mylittlestsunshine's definition of a little holiday towards the end of your pregnancy to get a bit of R&R in before the baby arrives.

ElleMcElle Wed 31-May-17 18:15:56

@PotteringAlong - It's a misleading name, but it definitely becomes before the baby! This will be my first, but as I understand it, life ain't no holiday once it arrives!

PotteringAlong Wed 31-May-17 18:16:33

So you just want holiday advice? Probably better off posting in travel then...!

ElleMcElle Wed 31-May-17 18:17:59

No - specific advice for hotels offering 'baby moon packages'. This sort of thing:
www.scarlethotel.co.uk/babymoon-break/
It's not unusual - I thought other expectant mothers might be planning them.

blueskyinmarch Wed 31-May-17 18:19:53

I dont really understand this babymoon idea. Towards the end of my pregnancies i was tired, cranky, hot and couldn’t sleep in my own bed, never mind a hotel bed. You can’t even have a drink to help you sleep. Has anyone done this and actually enjoyed it?

Dede124 Wed 31-May-17 18:22:52

What about a log cabin break? I'm
Following this too because I'm looking for suggestions for our baby moon smile

jmscp2015 Wed 31-May-17 18:26:10

I just about died of the price of that for 3 nights shock lol (I am a cheapskate)

But if it's what you want to do, go for it! smile

Another suggestion for a log cabin break or similar though - I would rather have the option of what I'm eating and when. And what I'm doing and when, rather than more of a 'set schedule'.

ElleMcElle Wed 31-May-17 18:30:20

@jmscp2015 - Yes, it's crazy expensive! Hoping to find somewhere cheaper.

We haven't been on holiday for 2 years for various reasons (well - mainly because we bought a house and need to do it up!). I'm determined to get away for at least a few days!

Log cabin idea sounds fun - although I think I'd like a bit more pampering / room service! I might not want to move far once we get there!

blueskyinmarch Wed 31-May-17 18:33:38

I would think a swimming pool would be a must? It will be the best place when you are feeling hot and heavy.

PotteringAlong Wed 31-May-17 18:33:49

I must be a bit sheltered then because 3 children in and I've never heard of it. I've definitely never heard of places offering specific packages. I think it is quite unusual.

backaftera2yearbreak Wed 31-May-17 18:38:59

It's a new weird twee thing. Like baby showers.

elQuintoConyo Wed 31-May-17 18:39:47

DH and I went on a 3-night break when I was 6m pregnant. It was about a 3hr drive with stops, I wasn't quite too whalesque to be ok in the car, although I had hippo feet and was in flip flops already!

We stayed in a Holiday Inn Express - the super basic ones. Clean, roomy, nice big bath - I did shout out Eureka! when I filled the bath then displaced half the water when I got in grin

We did small driving trips to local beauty spots and mooched, took photos (I'm quite the photographer), went to the cinema, had picnics. Zero luxury, but right up our street.

Cost all of about 150€

ElleMcElle Wed 31-May-17 18:40:18

Well - unusual or not, I fancy one! It's just an excuse for a mini-break, really - something we haven't done for a very long time. We'd both love to take some time out to read and sleep and gaze at a nice view... - and somewhere I could get some pampering would be lovely. Any tips much appreciated!

@blueskyinmarch - Yes to the swimming pool!

ElleMcElle Wed 31-May-17 18:40:43

@backaftera2yearbreak - Fear not, I won't be having one of those!

elQuintoConyo Wed 31-May-17 18:41:16

Oh and we certainly didn't call it a babymoon. More like 'one last hurrah'.

Until DS was 9mo and we started our small trips again.

ElleMcElle Wed 31-May-17 18:41:48

@elQuintoConyo - That sounds lovely - do you mind me asking which area of the country that was? I like the sound of your eureka moment!

elQuintoConyo Wed 31-May-17 18:43:36

Girona, Figueres and Cadaques grin sadly not in the UK (north of Barcelona).

jmscp2015 Wed 31-May-17 18:52:04

@ElleMcElle can totally understand you wanting to be pampered!

I'm just of one of those people that likes to be left alone and not stick to a schedule of any sort! blushgrin haha.

MiniMaxi Wed 31-May-17 18:55:03

We went to Watergate Bay (very near the Scarlet) when I was 4 months pregnant, it was lovely! Still expensive but I think slightly cheaper.

It wasn't a babymoon package though, just a nice break!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now