Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Heart-shaped uterus??!

(15 Posts)
Hevava Fri 28-Feb-14 16:19:18

Hi Everyone,

I'm 8 weeks + 5 and had an early scan on Weds to check everything was ok. We had a mmc just over a year ago and it had been hard to believe that things might be ok this time around. Huge relief to see a heartbeat and know that things are going well! :-)

The sonographer told me that I have a heart-shaped womb though which is something I'd never heard of. She was surprised that the NHS hadn't told me last time I was pregnant.

Does anyone know anything about abnormally shaped wombs and what risk they carry? I guess it's something I could ask about at my 12 week scan....

x0gawjus0x Fri 28-Feb-14 17:54:52

Pregnancies in a bicornuate uterus are usually considered high-risk and require extra monitoring because of association with poor reproduction potential.
A bicornuate uterus is associated with increased adverse reproductive outcomes like:
Recurrent pregnancy loss: the reproductive potential of a bicornuate uterus is usually measured by live birth rate (also called fetal survival rate).[3]
Preterm birth: with a 15 to 25% rate of preterm delivery. The reason that a pregnancy may not reach full-term in a bicornuate uterus often happens when the baby begins to grow in either of the protrusions at the top. A short cervical length seems to be a good predicter of preterm delivery in women with a bicornuate uterus.[4]
Malpresentation (breech birth or transverse presentation): a breech presentation occurs in 40-50% pregnancies with a partial bicornuate uterus and not at all (0%) in a complete bicornuate uterus.[5]
Deformity: Offspring of mothers with a bicornuate uterus are at high risk for "deformities and disruptions" and "malformations."[6]
Previously, a bicornuate uterus was thought to be associated with infertility,[7] but recent studies have not confirmed such an association.[8]

MostlyMama Fri 28-Feb-14 18:04:20

Could you not have softened that a bit rather than copy in a lot of brutally fearmongering info?

FabulousAbsolutely Fri 28-Feb-14 18:06:10

Hello OP, I was also told I had a heart shaped uterus, more in a passing sort of way, wasn't made a big deal of. Having had my own share of tragedies in this area, if it had been something to worry about I reckon they would have told me.

I went on to have a successful and happy pregnancy. Noone ever referred to shape ofwomb.

SPeak to your midwife for reassurance.

EyeoftheStorm Fri 28-Feb-14 18:06:39

Christ x0gawjus0x

I have a heart-shaped uterus and have 3 DCs. DC1 was breech. After he was born, I asked the obstetrician if there was any reason for it and that's when the heart-shaped uterus was mentioned.

My other DCs weren't breech. I think it is one of those things that many people have, but is not necessarily discovered unless there is a problem.

Slightly heart-shaped is very very different to bicornuate which can mean a septum or wall divides the uterus. That is not what the sonographer described.

I know you're going to worry, especially given your MMC, but try not to. It may have no bearing on your pregnancy at all. Talking it through at the 12 week scan sounds like a good plan.

x0gawjus0x Fri 28-Feb-14 18:07:39

No I couldn't as I haven't got a clue about it and didnt wanna re word it incase I got anything wrong, that's all I could find smile

toffeeboffin Fri 28-Feb-14 18:13:45

I too have a heart-shaped uterus - only realised this when my 2 month old DS was born via emergency c-section due to breech position. The doctors only realised that he was breech at the last minute - and this was due to the fact that my uterus was heart-shaped so he didn't have much room to move.

Several medical professionals failed to notice he was breech - they all thought he was head down and ready to go! Definitely verify via ultrasound what position he is in - would have been easier if I had known he was breech in advance!

DS is perfect and was born super healthy in my heart-shaped uterus - this in itself will not affect the health of the baby, he might have a bit less room to move around though.

My pregnancy was great - went overdue by 1 week, not much sickness etc etc. Not sure if x0gawjus0x has much personal experience of a heart-shpaed uterus but I can say my pregnancy and birth experience was great.

Enjoy your pregnancy!

OddFodd Fri 28-Feb-14 18:14:22

Same as fabulous. My womb carried my beautiful son to term and caused no additional risk. It was mentioned in a 'oh that's interesting way', nothing more sinister

I'm sure the OP has google x0gawjus0x hmm

racmun Fri 28-Feb-14 18:15:11

I have a heart shaped womb and have 2 dc. My best friend also has one and she has 2dc.

Ds was born at 34 weeks naturally. i was given extra scans throughtout as classed as high risk.

Dd was born at 36 weeks. She was breech so I had a section. They won't try and turn if you have a heart shaped womb. Dd got a bit wedged and I also had low fluid (not attributed to the shape of my womb) so she came out a bit squished but 18 weeks on everything is fine.

I was given lots of conflicting info from various professionals from being told I'll never carry a child long enough for it to be viable to its nothing to worry about.

From what I understand the risks are mainly that once the baby grows a heart shaped womb doesn't stretch as well hence a higher risk of prem babies.

I hope this helps a reassure you a bit and good luck !

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Fri 28-Feb-14 18:15:45

I have a slight bicornuate uterus and am 6 +5 weeks pregnant.

I had some gynea issues which is how it got diagnosed, I have been told not to worry although I will need extra monitoring throughout.

It can mean a higher chance of miscarriage but I find it really comforting that we know about it and the midwifeand obstetrician will monitor me carefully.

uptomyeyes Fri 28-Feb-14 18:18:27

Hi Hevava

I have a fully bicornute uterus - and have had three healthy boys.
I did have a couple of very early miscarriages prior to DS1- which may or may not have been caused by the shape of my womb. The diagnosis was made during an ERPC after my second miscarriage.

All three babies were delivered early. DS1 at 36 weeks due to IUGR - again this my or may not have been caused by the septum. DS 2 at 37 weeks - ELCS due to transverse lie and DS3 at 35 weeks, just because he fancied putting in an early appearance.

And as for x0gawjus0x 's list of stats - My children are not malformed, deformed or disrupted and I don't have a short cervix.

Good luck!

Hevava Fri 28-Feb-14 18:19:52

Yikes!

I'm trying not to worry too much about it at the moment- I suppose a lot depends on the extent of the abnormality and I'm not going to know that for a few weeks I guess. Thanks for the reassurances ladies- good to know it's not so rare.

When I asked the sonographer about whether it carried an increased risk of complications she didn't really give me a direct answer but just said that there might be more of a chance I'd have bleeding or spotting because of where the placenta is positioned.

Surely your womb will change shape during pregnancy anyway though right....plenty of time for it to fix itself??!

ladythatlunches Fri 28-Feb-14 19:12:59

me! I have one.

I have 5 children no miscarriages, all head down no breech and no early arrivals caused by it smile

also no probs at all getting pregnant. fell pregnant with all mine 1st goes (accidents and all)

2 of those babies are twins and still no probs from it
don't worry.

Hevava Fri 28-Feb-14 19:20:37

Thank you so much ladies :-) it is such a relief to understand it better. Glad to hear that in most cases it's not a problem.

Is it likely that I'm on track for automatically being put in the 'high-risk' box?

ladythatlunches Fri 28-Feb-14 19:24:17

I was never classed as high risk because of it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now