Talk

Advanced search

Cats: Why does mine fart when happy?

(36 Posts)
Grumpyoldcaaaaaaaa Sat 26-Sep-09 22:17:16

Keith is a relative newcomer to the family, just a week. He's a kitten, he's gorgeous, he's hugely friendly and fun and really loves DD3, to the extent of clambering in the pushchair with her at every available opportunity hmm.

We think he's great apart from the constant eggy boffs when he's happy (FFS we've even made up a song about it).

I've had lots of cats in the past but never one who shows affection through his anus.

Any advice anyone? He's on 'chaton' (kitten) dry food with water, which is what he was weaned on, same brand.

JackiePaper Sat 26-Sep-09 22:38:12

god my kitten does this, if you find the answer please let me know!

cheesesarnie Sat 26-Sep-09 22:41:18

no ideas but im in love with keith the happy farting kitten.

whats the song?grin

EsmeWeatherwax Sat 26-Sep-09 22:43:10

No advice, but I am Pmsl, sorry. You do have a way with words!

ClaireDeLoon Sat 26-Sep-09 22:50:42

My kitten grew out of this thankfully - they were vile farts. Remember, it's just a phase.

Go on, what is the song

I think the song is

Smelly cat, Smelly cat, what are they feeding yooou? wink

Grumpyoldcaaaaaaaa Sat 26-Sep-09 23:19:57

One version is to 'Ruby' by Kaisers:

'Oh eggy eggy eggy Boffster

a-aha-aha-aaaaa (holding nose)

Why d'you go and do the guffin'

a-aha-aha-aaaaa'

Generally improvise after this.

We also sing our dog's name to the same song, but howl for the a-aha etc bit.

And then we sing (kind of to the tune of Michael Finnegan Beginagain but it doesn't really sit happily with the tune, I'm working on it)

Keithy is an eggy boffster

He does guffs that blowyasocksoff

Keithy is an eggy boffster

Farting, guffing bum-head

I'll be honest, I sing songs about eggy boffs to whatever tune is in my head, in my defense, I have easily amused daughters and I am childish.

And he is a great kitten. Very mewy and purry.

Grumpyoldcaaaaaaaa Sat 26-Sep-09 23:20:59

Oh I'm properly embarrassed now!

VulgarAchesButCanRun5k Sat 26-Sep-09 23:27:39

I'm for a Keith Eggy Boff Kitten fan club! He sounds fab. Please post some pix.

All mine have gone through a farting stage but have grown out of it. I think they just get a bit overexcited and out they slip.
(this also happens when you are a lady of a certain age)

Grumpyoldcaaaaaaaa Sat 26-Sep-09 23:34:31

He went outside for the first time today. He's been up and down trees.

He's snoozing noisily and smellily on my lap. It's definitely affection-related trumping. It just smells so bad.

Unfortunately, DD2 does laughter boffs, so every time Keith does one, she starts sniggering and away she goes.

I will post some pictures when I work out how to. <doddery old fart> Sufficed to say, he's a pale ginger tab with amber eyes. He's a beaut.

ShinyAndNew Sat 26-Sep-09 23:40:20

My cat farts constantly happy or not. And he stinks worse than DH, I swear some one is feeding him curry and lager grin

The kitten doesn't fart much, but often smells when she is just of the litter <I don't think she cleans her bum properly>

VulgarAchesButCanRun5k Sat 26-Sep-09 23:41:32

awww! Keith sounds so cute.

Our Bengal always does one just as you pick him up and he manages to let out a really evil one when you are about to administer flea drops or pills. He also does a small jet of wee onto Dh's leg if Dh doesn't open the cat flap first thing in the morning. Despite the fact he has a perfectly clean and nice cat tray.

sorry, have been rambling about cat's bottoms a bitblush

Grumpyoldcaaaaaaaa Sat 26-Sep-09 23:43:17

shock you have a Bengal? envy

They're so gorgeous

VulgarAchesButCanRun5k Sat 26-Sep-09 23:57:33

Yes, he is gorgeous but very high maintenance (see above)

Bengals are very demanding. All the mogs I have had in the past have been a lot easier.

Grumpyoldcaaaaaaaa Sun 27-Sep-09 00:03:01

Now I had 2 Siamese and they were just the bees knees. Not meaning to make that into a rhyme.

One was a complete tart, the other was a typical Siamese, highly strung, vocal, cross-eyed.

I am liking the wee of annoyance vis-a-vie the catflap.

scroobiuspirate Sun 27-Sep-09 00:13:24

my tortie (1 yr old) is the same. bloody stinks, BUT i have def noticed it's worse after dried food.

the smell can clear the room, and it doesn't clear, just sits in the atmosphere!!

DD has a bed tent, and the cat likes to come in it with us for bedtime story.

It was eyewatering and hysterical at the same time when she let one go, me and dd7, could not get out of there quick enough!!!!

scroobiuspirate Sun 27-Sep-09 00:15:37

me and dd went to cat rescue place today, ( nice afternoon out fussing and cooing at poor moggies)amd there was the most darling siamese there. All regal and as you say cross eyed. Purring like mad.

Grumpyoldcaaaaaaaa Sun 27-Sep-09 00:17:41

scroobius.
My eyes are watering at the thought grin

Grumpyoldcaaaaaaaa Sun 27-Sep-09 00:19:30

And the Siamese, I love them. They look so regal and yet they're all mad as frogs or pretty dim.

I can't go to cat rescues without coming home with armfuls of the poor unfortunates that no-one else will take (think 3 legs, 1 eye, ugly).

Hence also my bi-coloured eye Collie, considered unlucky.

scroobiuspirate Sun 27-Sep-09 00:19:58

everytime we laffed we, of course had to breathe it in!!

gross eh.

Grumpyoldcaaaaaaaa Sun 27-Sep-09 00:22:28

grin

scroobiuspirate Sun 27-Sep-09 00:23:08

we went becuase our tortie came from there, we got her in jan, she is such a darling cat. very sleek, a bit cross eyed at times, egyptian looking really. talks alot and is so kind.

We go raound telling the cats they are lovely, and wish them luck (i know, but hey!!)

scroobiuspirate Sun 27-Sep-09 00:23:56

£65 for a kitten at our one.

thank god!

VulgarAchesButCanRun5k Sun 27-Sep-09 00:24:00

Ooo - I was only thinking today how I'd like a bi-coloured eye collie.

swap you for a farty peeing Bengal wink

Grumpyoldcaaaaaaaa Sun 27-Sep-09 00:27:27

My dog and Keith have not yet met as Beebs the dog is awaiting her passport in the UK. She will be here on Sunday though.

Should be hilarious!

She is beautiful. But very, very stupid.

I would like a farty peeing Bengal.......oh and scroobius, Keith's made friends with a tortie here - pitchun, who followed him around today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now