Talk

Advanced search

Grandad or Granddad?

(27 Posts)
thegingerwhinger Tue 04-Nov-08 20:33:33

Which is the correct spelling? I've always used Grandad but my mother is sure it's Granddad. All the cards in the shops seem to spell it with one 'd'.

nickytwotimes Tue 04-Nov-08 20:34:30

One 'd'.
Looks ridiculous with 2, imho.

LadyOfRoffle Tue 04-Nov-08 20:36:11

One D.

thegingerwhinger Tue 04-Nov-08 20:40:41

I thought it was one 'd', I agree it looks ridiculous with two. I only questioned it because my mother is usually always spot on with anything to do with spelling. I'll be sure to put her right!

sleepycatonabroomstick Tue 04-Nov-08 20:40:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

littlefrog Tue 04-Nov-08 20:44:17

I think your mother is right! You don't have granmothers, granfathers, granmas - but then, when was anything logical in this language. It does look stupid though with two ds.

thegingerwhinger Tue 04-Nov-08 20:52:06

Indeed littlefrog, that's her justification for the spelling and it does make sense.

scrambledhead Tue 04-Nov-08 20:53:40

I always use two 'd's. I did look it up once as DH thought I was wrong. Both are correct apparently.

thegingerwhinger Tue 04-Nov-08 21:03:26

Ahh, so we're both right! I imagine the original spelling was Granddad which gradually turned into the now more popular grandad.

LynetteScavo Tue 04-Nov-08 21:04:54

I have never, ever seen Granddad before, hmm

docket Tue 04-Nov-08 21:05:22

My FIL insists on Grand-Dad.

Plonker!

wheresthehamster Tue 04-Nov-08 21:07:54

Grandad's a bit of an odd one though. We don't have a Grandmum to go with it so you never know we might have spelt it Granmum...

Hulababy Tue 04-Nov-08 21:15:08

Grandad

thegingerwhinger Tue 04-Nov-08 21:40:23

So is it also Grandaughter as opposed to granddaughter? Again my mum favours the 'dd' version!

nellynaemates Wed 05-Nov-08 11:10:07

I always use two Ds. To me "granddad" = grand dad, "grandad" = gran dad, which just seems silly. You wouldn't write "granfather" or "granma" would you?

scrambledhead Wed 05-Nov-08 12:08:13

Nelly - I agree smile

Jimalomma Fri 20-Jan-12 10:13:37

Granddad is spelt with "dd" in the middle (see Fowler's Modern English usage and the Oxford Manual of Style, which states: granddad (not grandad, grand-dad). Misspelt words creep into the language through constant corruption.

coltec Thu 26-Nov-15 09:38:53

I am 68 and have a 2 year old grandson and the question regarding the correct spelling of "grandad" arose. I have only recently seen double "d" being used for granddad and granddaughter. I am a bit of a stickler when it comes to language. I loathe seeing apostrophes used in plurals, e.g. potato's. Also "should of" instead of "should have". As for Nel's argument that you wouldn't write "granma", of course you wouldn't but the issue is not whether you drop the "d" it is whether you use double "d". I agree that double "d" just doesn't look right. So, I will carry on using a single "d".

daveyw Sat 14-May-16 16:49:05

Does it really matter that much? I am 66 and have 4 beautiful grandchildren. One d or two, just follow it with "I love you," and I don't care how you spell it!

Botchit Sat 14-May-16 16:50:24

Both are correct but I always use one d.

Pirate77 Thu 30-Jun-16 21:48:48

Ahoy!

The spelling depends on which version of the English language is used, as in the UK it's spelled granddad. The are plenty of other examples, not least the word alluminium which is missing the last (i) in the American English language and is spoken differently (I have no idea why, but it's a matter of fact). If a similar rule was applied to the state of Arkansas which if spoken as spelled would be 'Are Kansas' as opposed to 'Ark In Saw' such is the complexity of the English language and in the country where it's spoken as it becomes disjointed and whether there are silent and/or missing letters as with Aluminium, Aluminum and pronunceation differences.

Cheerio, bye-bye, ta-ta . .

GranddaddyRay Fri 05-Aug-16 00:02:13

Really?

I have never noticed it spelt with one d until today when my grandson told me I'd spelt it wrong. Step daughter then pointed me this way.

Wheresthehampster; we do have grandmum (or grandmom in USA), albeit not very common but we have granny without a comparible male version

user1472008533 Wed 24-Aug-16 04:17:10

GRAND DAD? FLEENSTONES??

jamzoo Thu 11-May-17 10:45:54

mother --> grandmother grandma granny gran
father --> grandfather grandpa granddad gramp(s)
daughter --> granddaughter
son --> grandson

You might not say "grand...dad" but you certainly should spell it that way.

And I'm barely old enough to be a dad, let alone a granddad.

DadDadDad Thu 11-May-17 15:53:46

jamzoo - did you just try to use logic to determine how a word should be spelt? Ha, ha, ha, good luck with that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now