Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone decided not to have more DC for environmental reasons?

(119 Posts)
KlingybunFistelvase Tue 06-Dec-16 16:33:33

Just that really.

DH and I were about to start TTC DC2, but we're having a rethink ATM. One of the big factors for me is carbon footprint / impact on the environment. Wondered if this is something other people considered when deciding whether to try for a second / third / fourth?

ImYourMama Tue 06-Dec-16 16:37:35

No, it's not.

1Potato2 Tue 06-Dec-16 21:45:48

Nope. I don't think it would be the deciding factor for many.

KlingybunFistelvase Wed 07-Dec-16 08:27:18

Not the deciding factor; I think I was quite careful not to say that in the OP, but for clarity, I am asking if this is something (one of the things) people have considered when deciding whether to try for another.

Maxwellthecat Wed 07-Dec-16 08:29:20

Me and DH have discussed it in regards to having children. It's not the biggest factor but it's definitely up there.

KlingybunFistelvase Wed 07-Dec-16 08:29:53

TBH I would find it really surprising if it wasn't one of the considerations for at least some people.

KlingybunFistelvase Wed 07-Dec-16 08:30:11

Thanks maxwell.

KlingybunFistelvase Wed 07-Dec-16 08:30:37

And thanks others for comments too.

slinkymalinky33 Wed 07-Dec-16 08:31:00

Sad for your child though

I mean a child would rather have a sibling

KlingybunFistelvase Wed 07-Dec-16 08:33:07

"I mean a child would rather have a sibling"

Would they? What lead you to that assumption?

atticusclaw2 Wed 07-Dec-16 08:35:05

I think the majority of only children would want a sibling if given the choice.

I know the onlys in our friendship circle do masses of clubs and activities because there is nobody to play with at home.

TheCompanyOfCats Wed 07-Dec-16 08:35:10

Similarly, you hear a lot of people saying 'i'm worried about the world I'd be bringing my child into' etc. I wonder if those thought processes ever seriously put people off having dc?

Rumtopf Wed 07-Dec-16 08:35:38

Slinkymalinky, that's quite a thoughtless thing to say. My dd is an only child and isn't at all sad about it. I'm a little affronted by your comment.

OP, yes it is a concern for dh and I. We, unfortunately, don't seem to be able to conceive and have it stick so would have to go for private ivf. Considering the state of the environment and our responsibility for doing as much as we can to take care of it featured quite highly in our conversations over whether to try it or not.

ppeatfruit Wed 07-Dec-16 08:38:19

I couldn't help but think of the future because our 3 dcs were planned, we have 3 and I squared my conscience having a third child by taking into account the fact that both my siblings are never going to have children.

Now they are adults Iam proud that not one of them has a car. They live in London though where it is easy (easier not to have one).

Maxwellthecat Wed 07-Dec-16 08:39:40

I'd rather have enough resources in the world than a sibling tbf

HeddaGabbler Wed 07-Dec-16 08:40:13

Slinky Malinky why on earth do you feel it's acceptable to tell OP that you're sad for her child? Horrible comment.

KlingybunFistelvase Wed 07-Dec-16 08:42:22

It really was an unkind and thoughtless thing to say. But there we are. Sorry you've had a difficult time rum flowers.

It certainly wouldn't be the only reason I wouldn't TTC a second, but it is something I've thought about a lot. I just wondered if other did too, that's all. I certainly wouldn't want to get involved in other people's choice to have as many DCs as they like and are able to. Funny that some posters think it's fine to get involved in mine though.

bobbinpop Wed 07-Dec-16 08:44:32

Yes, probably the main reason we won't have another. I would, but my DP takes the issue very seriously. I think he's right, but my hormones and emotions disagree smile

Maxwellthecat Wed 07-Dec-16 08:46:18

We have been seriously looking at becoming foster carers instead

Rumtopf Wed 07-Dec-16 08:46:21

Ah, my first flowers Klingy thanks.
I agree, it wouldn't make me judge or have an opinion on others and how large their family is, but it is something that we personally find important.

ppeatfruit Wed 07-Dec-16 08:49:30

I think about our 2 GD's (and all the others) and hope they don't have a terrible time coping with rising sea levels etc. sad. I feel thankful to be having an easy life.

KlingybunFistelvase Wed 07-Dec-16 08:50:47

I've been wondering about that too maxwell. My DC is still very little but maybe something to look into for the future.

Totally agree rum. It's a decidedly personal choice and I was never likely to be able to have a very large family anyway as I couldn't afford it emotionally or financially.

KlingybunFistelvase Wed 07-Dec-16 08:51:48

Me too pp! I'm very worried for my DC's future and that of any GC.

PurpleDaisies Wed 07-Dec-16 08:52:53

Sad for your child though

I mean a child would rather have a sibling

What a daft thing to say. Children do not have the right to a sibling. It's totally up to their parents to come to the best decision they can based on whatever factors they think are important. Would you say that to someone who either couldn't conceive or couldn't afford to have another child?

Inthenick Wed 07-Dec-16 08:54:32

I think this is a very interesting and important topic. I have 3 little ones and we regularly discuss whether we should have a fourth. I do worry about overpopulation but selfishness wins out in the end really. I also think that we are lucky enough to be born into a developed country and are wealthy and educated enough to give our kids a very good shot of being contributors to society financially and hopefully physically with volunteering etc. I don't criticise anyone who can't due to not being as lucky as we were with our environments growing up or having a disability etc. But it does make me feel better about having the kids.

My plan was always to have 2 and adopt 2 but I discovered that there is only open adoption in the country we live in which puts me off. I will probably still seriously consider adoption or at least fostering in the future.

But yes OP, I think people should be aware of overpopulation as a problem. Most are simply not educated about this issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now