Talk

Advanced search

Stories of twins born 37+ and all ok..

(50 Posts)
Hobbes39 Fri 12-Apr-19 22:46:29

Hi - I'm 16w with twins - I have a 5 year old DS who was born at 40+6 and relatively uncomplicated pregnancy (I had issues with low blood pressure and pelvic pain, but otherwise fine)... I am however scared about these babies. They are much longed for IVF babies, after multiple early miscarriages they are our little miracles as I've just turned 42, so we've experienced a lot of things going wrong and I'm still finding it hard to believe that things will be ok...
I'm really scared about them being premature and poorly, I just want our babies safe after all we have been through. Please can people tell me their positive twin stories of twins born around full term and without major issues so I can know it is possible. Also if anyone knows of anything I should be doing that could make a difference then please tell me! Thank you x

tihsho Sat 13-Apr-19 12:05:18

Congratulations! My twins were born at 37 weeks. No complications, vaginal birth (2nd twin came out breech but there were no problems with that). They were small (4lbs and 5lbs) but totally healthy and didn't need any extra help or care. Obviously there is more chance that twins will come early compared to singleton (and also most hospitals don't like to let twin pregnancies get much beyond 38 weeks without induction). But lots and lots are born close to 38 weeks without needing any special care afterwards. Best of luck with your pregnancy.

doodlejump1980 Sat 13-Apr-19 12:11:05

Congratulations on your pregnancy! What kind of twins are you expecting? I had dcda twins - non-identical each with own sac and placenta, at 37+6. They were 7lbs5 and 6lbs4 so didn’t need any special care. Full term for non-ID twins is 38 weeks, for identical twins I think full term is classed at 36 weeks so you may be induced (I think?) Good luck, twins are ace!

chutneypig Sat 13-Apr-19 12:11:16

Mine were born at 37w6 by section. They were showing no signs of shifting, the section was booked because they were both thought to be 8lb and the drs were concerned for me. As it turned out one was 9lb2 and one 5lb10. Both healthy, DD was the smaller and gained weight quickly. They thought she couldn’t grow as much as she was lying on one side whereas her brother was sort of poking outwards so I just kept stretching.

Neolara Sat 13-Apr-19 12:14:57

I don't have twins but two of my dcs were born at 37 weeks and were absolutely fine.

BigSandyBalls2015 Sat 13-Apr-19 12:17:00

Congratulations, twins are fab. My two were born at 37 weeks and were in superb health - 5lb 12 and 6lb 2. Had a caesarean as one was transverse but recovery was quick and easy.

Potplant Sat 13-Apr-19 12:23:26

Was also going to say full term for DTs is 38 weeks. So 37 isn’t that early.
Mine were 35 weeks, both just over 4lbs. One was in SCBU for a few days, the other straight on the ward with me. Apart from being small they had no health issues at all. They were behind on ‘actual’ age assessments up till about 18 months. No trouble starting school but they are late September.
They’re both teens now, over 6ft and picture of health. I used to worry about how small they were!
Good luck. easier said than done, I know, but try not to worry.

Hobbes39 Sat 13-Apr-19 16:25:53

Thanks all. They are DCDA @doodlejump1980 - so I've been told 'term' would be 37w. If I get that far they will induce or c-section (I'm veering towards the latter as I had a long difficult labour with my DS and don't want problems with twin 2 if that happens again) between 37 & 38 weeks.
I know that 37w isn't that early @Potplant - it's what I'm aiming for as 'good' - I've just read so many stories of twins coming early & having IUGR that I'm scared and need to hear from folks that have had twins without issues so I'm not so terrified. I realise it's about 50/50 for whether we will make it to 'term' though, so I know we will be lucky to, I just need some reassurance - thanks to those of you who have given me some..! X

xxKatie9806xx Sat 13-Apr-19 16:29:05

My twins were induced at 37+1, came at 37+3 - assisted delivery with both (ventouse). Spent a couple of days in scbu for low blood sugar levels and to get feeding established but otherwise no complications or problems. Good luck x

Potplant Sat 13-Apr-19 16:38:07

Mine were breach and transverse at 30 weeks so my section was booked then for 38 weeks. It's very unlikely twins will turn at the last minute with a singleton. A lot of the twin mums I meet had similar experience.

I didn't get that far as they as my consultant was concerned about growth of DT1. He was 4lb3 when he was born and In SCBU for a few days. No long term effects at all, he's 6ft4!

One other thing is that you'll have a lot more scans and checkups than with a singleton and probably be under a consultant. I felt very looked after with mine.

Dauphinois Sat 13-Apr-19 17:06:56

I was induced at 38 weeks with mine. I ended up with a c section and they were in scbu for 3 days as a precaution really, and have been fine ever since.

They were 7lb 3 and 5lb 7 so decent weights and despite a bit of bottle feeing at the beginning, they both took to breastfeeding like ducks to water.

Like you I'd heard lots of horror stories but it was all pretty straight forward really. I do consider myself very lucky though.

DrinkSangriaInThePark Sat 13-Apr-19 17:13:10

My twins were both at 33 weeks and no problems whatsoever! Obviously they great to be in SCU for a couple of weeks but they're now very tall, intelligent 11 year olds!

DownToTheSeaAgain Sat 13-Apr-19 17:16:05

This isn't what you asked for but my DT's were born prematurely at 31.5 weeks. They were in special care for 4. They were 3Lb 14oz

What is important to stress though is at 14 years on they are absolutely fine. Being premature isn't the end. It really isn't.

DrinkSangriaInThePark Sat 13-Apr-19 17:17:53

And in answer to what you can do to help them along, it might sound trite but stop worrying! Consultant told me after move were born prem but healthy that it was my relaxed attitude that helped them.

mumwithovertime Sat 13-Apr-19 18:29:52

Mine are now 18 ! They were induced at 39weeks +2 days so were ultimately born 4 days before 40 weeks , I had 3 singletons before that all 8lb plus and the consultant was happy for me to keep going but I chose induction as at 5ft 2 I was huge .
They weighed 7lb 1 and 6lb 7 and were home within a couple of days , no issues for them or me ,twin 1 was ventuose, twin 2 was breech but delivered without help / any stitches ,
I managed breastfeeding for 6 weeks ( did much longer with my singletons ) but ultimately went for formula as it was quicker and one twin was putting weight on more slowly than the other .

Catsandbootsandbootsandcats Sat 13-Apr-19 18:47:04

Mine were born at 35 weeks, spent 10 days in SCBU, mainly getting feeding established. They were 4lb 12 and 4lb 13. They are 14 now, absolutely no problems and very tall (compared to short arse me!) about 5ft 7.

Phillpot12 Sat 13-Apr-19 19:09:56

Identical twins born at 34 weeks and no extra care needed, home a couple of days later so just had to keep them warm and inside. Winter babies and no body fat as prem. You should have lots of scans etc I had a csection booked for 36wjs due to previous csection and identical twins bring higher risk but my 2 decided they were ready so shot with a bit of gas and air - not my choice, no time for epidural etc. Good luck, exciting but terrifying at the same isn't it!?

comradelouise Wed 17-Apr-19 04:48:49

I'm a non identical twin born on my due date! I'm nearly 40 now with no health problems other than a bit of back pain :D

And I just gave birth to MCDA twins 2 months ago at 32 weeks! Like PP they're absolutely fine... they were small (3lb10 and 3lb3) so had a short 2 week stay in SCBU while they grew.

I think a stay in SCBU is pretty common for twins, and I actually found it a good way in. It means you start getting used to looking after them (feeding, changing) while someone else takes care of the night shift! And it also meant I got lots of support from a breastfeeding consultant who was attached to the SCBU

fabulous01 Wed 17-Apr-19 05:00:23

Mine were 35 weeks and no problem
I had the lung steroids which helped

willisurvive3under2 Sun 21-Apr-19 20:12:52

DCDA twins here. Induced at 36+6 as I had Cholestasis, born 12 hours later at 37 weeks exactly. 5.2 and 4 lbs. Twin 2 was born breech. It was a fantastic birth (my first was a bit traumatic, I expected a disaster with 2). Absolutely no issues other than smaller twin needing a bit of IV glucose for a couple of hours - ironically this meant we were in NICU for 4 days with a private double room, loads of staff available, all the comforts and no noise. I recovered brilliantly and felt rested and happy when we were allowed home on day 4. She was in with me after the first few hours, but as we had been admitted to NICU we were never moved to postnatal, I don't know if that's normal.

They've just turned 1 and are as healthy as can be.

To give a 100% honest picture, twin 2 never took to BF fully so she was mix fed a lot and moved to FF only at 6 months. That was my only problem with them, as I would have loved to feed them both.

I also had a 20 month old when they were born so I struggled with the logistics, it was tough. 3 under 2 is not for the faint hearted, but your other DC is older and you'll be fine.

Good luck, you'll be in good hands. If they come early there's so much they can do now.

Hobbes39 Sun 21-Apr-19 22:34:53

Thanks @willisurvive3under2 - that's good to hear - I like the sound of private room and staff on hand!!

TwinMama39 Wed 01-May-19 06:33:55

Congratulations! My identical boys were also DCDA and were born at 37 weeks. Delivered via c-section as baby A was complete breech. They were both absolutely fine, weighed 6lbs9 and 6lbs11 and stayed with me right from birth.
I was so worried throughout my pregnancy that they not going to be okay/come super early and eventually we had to evict our very healthy boys (they has no intention of coming out at 37!).

To also give you a full picture, our boys also struggled with breast feeding. I think this was also compounded by me being a first time mum and post natal care being very different in the US (where the boys were born) vs. the wonderful support given to mums here.

Best of luck with everything. My boys are now 3 and its been an incredible experience being a mum to twins.

ellesbellesxxx Wed 01-May-19 06:41:53

My twins were born at 36+4(induced day before) at 6lb15 and 5lb 13, assisted delivery (forceps/ventouse)
We had issues with low blood sugars/weight loss/jaundice but this was sorted by a tight feeding schedule and top ups with formula, we didn’t need SCBU (just a phototherapy incubator which they put in my room)
They are two in a month and are massive, feisty and permanently hungry!
Congratulations... twins are amazing 😍

MuchTooTired Sun 05-May-19 18:56:15

Mine are also ivf babies, and were born at 36+5 by elcs due to pe, and weighed 6lbs 6oz and 7lb 3oz. DT2 had a very brief spell in scbu as a precaution because she was born not breathing properly (less than 2 hours) then joined us in the recovery room. We stayed in hospital for 2 days afterwards (section was late in the afternoon because it was a surprise one!) to monitor their blood sugar because they were a little premature.

They’d shown zero signs of coming out at all, and my section was booked for 38+2. They’re now 15 months old, in to absolutely everything and are the best thing to have happened to me. Being a twin Mum is fab!

Congratulations!

Zillaindie Sun 05-May-19 19:00:08

My MCDA twins were born by csection at 35 weeks, plan was 36 weeks but they had other ideas.
No complications and stayed with me on the ward until discharge.

Congratulations, try and relax!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »