Talk

Advanced search

Sorry but the war in Gaza does not justify anti-semitic abuse or placards with swastikas on!

(238 Posts)
YaddaYaddaYadda Sat 10-Jan-09 20:23:08

I've just spoken to a friend who went on the march in London today and feel physically sick at what she told me about some of the anti-semitic comments and chants she heard. She also told me about people carrying home made placards with swastikas intertwined with a star of david. I know people feel very strongly but how is this level of racial hatred justified??

ilovelovemydog Sat 10-Jan-09 20:25:34

shock

moondog Sat 10-Jan-09 20:26:57

Blimey.
I must say, have done a lot of reading on this topic and learnt that Israel isn't quite as despicable as everynoe would have us believe.
Hamas are absolute immoral bastards who lead their own peopel to slaughter without a moment's thoguht.

nickytwotimes Sat 10-Jan-09 20:28:19

There will be arseholes who will use the issue to spout there abhorent views.
They are a poison to everyone.

nickytwotimes Sat 10-Jan-09 20:28:45

sorry - their, not there!! blush

WinkyWinkola Sat 10-Jan-09 20:28:59

Well, it's kind of obvious there are those who are just itching to jump on the Kill The Jew bandwagon regardless of their position on the Gaza crisis.

Please don't tell me you are really surprised?

Wait for the next wave of racial hatred. It's happening.

WinkyWinkola Sat 10-Jan-09 20:30:48

Children's Jewish schools in North London have have to up security on the schools because of threats.

Every synagogue always has burly security staff on the doors. Now it will be super tight. We're used to the death threats, I guess.

TheCrackFox Sat 10-Jan-09 20:34:09

The police should have arrested anyone carrying placards like that or found to be shouting racist abuse. These twats have completely undermined their own argument.

goingunderground Sat 10-Jan-09 20:36:01

blimey that's really bad.

FattipuffsandThinnifers Sat 10-Jan-09 20:38:45

A lot of ignorant twats morons continue to confuse Jewish with hardline Zionist Israelis, sadly. An excuse for basic racism.

Winky sad

WinkyWinkola Sat 10-Jan-09 20:40:53

Yes, I think "a lot of" are the operative words here. I think there are an awful lot of people who will be using this as a justification to attack Jews.

Call me paranoid but I guess 2,000+ years of persecution makes one a touch suspicious.........

AlistairSim Sat 10-Jan-09 20:42:16

Winky - That's horrifying!

sad

littleducks Sat 10-Jan-09 20:43:15

Every synagogue always has burly security staff on the doors. shock really?

with regard to the banners etc, people will prob be arrested later, that has happened in previous protest photographic eveidence has been collected and arrests made afterwards

WinkyWinkola Sat 10-Jan-09 20:43:40

But really not surprising surely?

PaddingtonBore Sat 10-Jan-09 20:43:50

I agree. I am not jewish (well, some distant lineage apart), but live in a Jewish area. I was so sad to see that the local schools currently employ security staff to oversea home time, due to anti-semitic threats.

nickytwotimes Sat 10-Jan-09 20:44:33

No, it is not surprising. It is just very, very sad.

WinkyWinkola Sat 10-Jan-09 20:44:55

It never ends for anyone

KayHarkerIsInDenial Sat 10-Jan-09 20:45:47

No, it absolutely doesn't. I've seen some jaw-dropping stuff, and it's just. not. on.

FattipuffsandThinnifers Sat 10-Jan-09 20:49:58

I don't think general media coverage helps either, simplifies things and does nothing to foster deep knowledge of a) the issue currently or the history of Israel, and b) the history/situation of Jews.

This makes me sick.

goingunderground Sat 10-Jan-09 20:51:09

i think it's only a very small minority of people though who think like that

S1ur Sat 10-Jan-09 20:54:06

Some friends of mine got called saboteurs (and worse) and leaned on to leave the rally because they had banners saying both No to Israeli Govn and No to Hamas.

They argued and stayed.

WinkyWinkola Sat 10-Jan-09 20:55:20

Hideous news of terrified Palestinians toddlers waiting, half starved by their mothers and aid for them being prevented really affects everyone and changes their views.

But higher up, there are a very few such innocents.

However, I suspect nobody claims innocence for the leaders of Hamas or the Israeli gov.t. It would be very naive to do so.

It's always the small people that get shat on, whatever side.

Bubble99 Sat 10-Jan-09 20:57:12

Very telling that the call was for the murder of Jews rather than Israelis.

[we need a sickened emoticon]

WinkyWinkola Sat 10-Jan-09 20:58:54

"i think it's only a very small minority of people though who think like that"

You think?

WinkyWinkola Sat 10-Jan-09 21:00:06

"Some friends of mine got called saboteurs (and worse) and leaned on to leave the rally because they had banners saying both No to Israeli Govn and No to Hamas."

Imagine that. You think that maybe a lot of people thought this was a march in support for Hamas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now