Talk

Advanced search

The decluttering one thing a day thread - part 12

(79 Posts)
AlexTheLittleCat Tue 19-May-20 12:16:56

For StealthNinjaMum

We’re still here.

After 11 threads my house still isn't tidy!

So join me and a lovely group of mumsnetters who simply get rid of one thing a day and report back. Gradually we’re developing good habits, reorganising ourselves, often improving our mental health and having friendly chatter along the way.

So newbies are welcome, just check in with your news and join in the general chat about recycling, organisation and housework.

Previous thread here.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/housekeeping/3799710-The-decluttering-on-thing-a-day-thread-part-11?pg=1

ALSO many of us have set a target to get rid of 2020 items this year and will report on that.

RaspberryBlonde Tue 19-May-20 16:42:37

Thanks Alex. Placemarking.

Today I've relocated 7 decorative plant pots from the utility room to the garage. The plants in them have all expired but somehow the pots have lingered! May charity shop a couple when I can but suppose I may use some again. I need to get on top of the utility room though, it's a real hot spot!

Also going out today are two pairs of DD's old shoes that are too scuffed to pass on.

Hope that your laptop is behaving Stealth.

Elenorrigbywoes Tue 19-May-20 19:31:00

I had an unexpected hour to myself today when DH brought the children for a walk so I decided to tackle the study of doom. I cleared a pile of books and old paperwork into the recycling bin. I moved the desk to a different place and it made more space. I cleaned the floor and the windows so feel I made a bit of progress - delighted cos it was unexpected!

pumpkinbump Wed 20-May-20 00:16:15

Hi all. I seriously need to declutter my house. One of the bedrooms looks like it belongs on a hoarders programme. Will be interesting to see hints and tips of how to decide to throw something out you think 'may come in handy one day'. I'm very sentimental too which doesn't help!

Times10 Wed 20-May-20 09:56:17

DH went to the tip, so we’ve gotten rid of a car load of stuff. Most was broken things that we now need to replace, so it hasn’t really helped with creating more space. I’ve also started a bag of clothes for the charity shop/clothes bank when those reopen.
Our bins are filling up a lot quicker these days, but the house still doesn’t improve much.

JigoloHarMegiddo Wed 20-May-20 10:59:54

Ooh, new thread, thanks Alex for standing in for Stealth and her iffy technology. And hello pumpkinbump, welcome!

Well, we had a lovely clear garage for two whole days... and now DS1 has put more University Shit in it until he can go back 😭. I am trying not to have a total sense of humour failure!

Lots of garden decluttering this week, as the green bin will be collected again this Thursday, so it's packed pretty solid with grass clippings and perennial weeds!

Today's out is going to be bolted radish plants that are now totally inedible.

SandAndSea Thu 21-May-20 00:07:12

Thanks, Alex! Hi everyone!

SandAndSea Thu 21-May-20 00:15:23

Welcome, pumpkinbump! I'm super sentimental too. I think I've got better though as my house is pretty clear in lots of places now.

SandAndSea Thu 21-May-20 04:35:09

I can't sleep so I've got up again and have been doing jobs.

I've tided the carrier bag shelf and have recycled 3 large bags which were packaging I thought I might be able to re-use, but haven't. The rest of the bags all fit nicely away now which is curiously satisfying.

I've tidied the dining room table, folded laundry and put a wash on.

I've also binned (nicely) a lovely 'Thank you' notelet from a neighbour. I had it on display for quite a few weeks and have really enjoyed seeing it, but it's time for it to go now. (I resisted the urge to file it away for ever more.)

busface999 Thu 21-May-20 11:56:32

Hi! I'm going to join you all. I often read these threads but never join in. We did a lot of decluttering when we moved house three years ago. I got rid of a lot of 'sentimental' things and can honestly say I haven't missed a single one. It's so freeing. I'm not a complete minimalist.. I do have some of my grandma's old jewellery etc which means a lot to me.

The main difficulty I have at the moment is an almost 2yo DS and a lot of generous family members and friends who like to buy all manner of things for him grin He's just gone down for his nap so I'm about to sort the kitchen and play room. 2020 things in 2020 is an amazing target!! Hats off to those of you doing that!

Vinorosso74 Thu 21-May-20 17:37:33

Ooh a new thread! I hope this motivates me to get back on things. As previously mentioned sticking point is the fact charity shops are closed. I have got some stuff for the dump/recycling centre but that can wait.
Still been focused on using stuff up. I finally used up the excess shampoos and conditioners; the ones I bought but didn't like so much.
One advantage of home schooling/learning is pens and pencils are being used up!

SandAndSea Thu 21-May-20 23:02:41

All I've got for you today is an empty washing-up liquid bottle. I was at that 'having 2 bottles' stage for ages but am finally able to go on to the next one.

SandAndSea Fri 22-May-20 03:50:57

I've just cleared out another file from my box of doom! It's a pile of papers, about 3-4cm thick. Tbh, it's not in the actual recycling bin yet, but it will be. I'm keeping it all out so I can compare it with other papers in the hope it helps me to stay on track. That's the plan anyway.

RaspberryBlonde Fri 22-May-20 06:47:15

Welcome Busface! Quite a few of us here share your pain on kids clutter. You do have the advantage of him being little enough to get rid without him noticing too much though.

Nice weather here has allowed me to get rid of the last of a bottle of sun cream. We currently have 4 at varying stages of use so I’m making a resolution now not to buy any this summer.

Like SandandSea paperwork is on the clutter radar here. Got rid of some old mortgage statements and receipts for work we did at our old house. Lots to go still though!

JigoloHarMegiddo Fri 22-May-20 07:40:03

Morning, and welcome busface! Raspberry, you reminded me that I have had an extra out this week, a bottle of suncream that had "split" and was rather more like curds and whey than cream! I read somewhere that although you don't have to adhere strictly to the "12 month lifespan" thing, if it's split it's a sure sign it's had it, so out it went.

All we need to do now is use up the three other bottles we have about two-thirds of a bottle remaining in, before we start the fancy pants organic paraben- and chemical-free one I bought last year and haven't opened. Although it helps that DS2, at 17 and paler than milk, has finally accepted he must wear suncream if he's outside between April and September, and is encouraging everyone else on the grounds that he's not suffering alone! He is my proper Celt, red beard and all (but don't mention that, he's hopping mad); all the others go lightly biscuit-coloured naturally, while he stays so pale he's blue, unless he gets it wrong and burns. Then he goes back to being milk-white. He feels we have very much let him down genetically there! grin

Plans today include a quick whizz through bookshelves and filing, as the half of term comes to an end. And thinking in advance of a way to shuffle out a year's worth of Y5 art that is culminating in a chimera creature being built in junk, about 18" high and a foot wide!

apropercatlady Fri 22-May-20 11:56:19

These storage containers are a godsend for my house
I'm normally get them here

LaneBoy Fri 22-May-20 13:09:42

Thank you! Having just joined at the end of the last one I hope to properly keep up with reading this one.

Not done anything for a few days - the last couple of weeks have been very up and down mood wise and the decluttering has suffered! Our nicely rearranged room is already messier again 🙄

Got a bit more home ed to do with DS when he gets home but then it’s half term and that means we can hopefully get more done again.

SandAndSea Fri 22-May-20 23:05:00

@apropercatlady - It's boxes like that that are the reason I'm always sorting out boxes! grin Talking of which, I've been brave tonight and actually thrown out the previous pile of papers, plus another wad. There's more.

LaneBoy Sat 23-May-20 07:30:29

Just caught up on the end of the old thread and wanted to come back to this if I may, from when I’d mentioned I’d found home ed books we could use: it’s always good to find things you’ll use. I found various reception / phonics type books i’d forgotten about when my youngest was year 2 and it had been a complete waste of money.

Totally relate to this! It’s the story of my parenting years TBH, especially since we started home ed. So, so many things I’ve bought with the best of intentions - and the best of discounts - only for it not to be used at all until the time has gone for it to be of any use. I’m ashamed to say that’s even gone for online resources - I can’t tell you how many bargain HE subscriptions I’ve had where we haven’t actually used them in the end.

A lot of it for me is that I wait until the perfect time to use something. Until we can cover a topic perfectly. I am finally learning that the perfect time doesn’t exist! Lockdown has helped with that because I’ve used so many freebies and have become more spontaneous - and maybe it’s a coincidence but HE is actually going better than ever for DS.

I’m also trying really hard not to bring more stuff in and only use what we have. Unfortunately both of us are emotional spenders at times and it’s currently me who is trying to keep DH in check (which is quite a change from normal). Lockdown has really highlighted the need to actually use what we have (possibly because of the food shopping difficulties?).

Right I must stop waffling - I’m the only one awake so I’m going to put a new series on and enjoy the peace! Hopefully will declutter later.

dudsville Sat 23-May-20 07:57:31

I'm not a party of the group but i just wanted a place to say that after 10 weeks of isolation/lockdown i FINALLY enjoyed cleaned and organised the pantry. Ice ven so envious of all the reports of jobs getting done. About a month ago i did my closet, wardrobe and drawers.

Clettercletterthatsbetter Sat 23-May-20 09:52:31

I’ve found you again!

Decluttering is going very slowly here. 3 kids under 5 at home (and staying that way until September as pre school is remaining closed!) means I have approximately zero time for any productivity. I’m definitely not going to meet my 2020 things target!

busface999 Sat 23-May-20 12:20:39

DS is having his nap so I'm on the hunt for things that we no longer need! I dream of a 'place for everything and everything in its place' type of house. Well, I would never stop DS playing with toys and creating mess of course, but I dream of putting everything back perfectly at the end of the day!

We are good at buying a lot less than we used to. I don't buy rubbish anymore. But people LOVE to buy us stuff. I try to ask for vouchers etc for Xmas and birthdays but some people aren't happy unless they're showering you in 'stuff' confused Off to find some off this stuff now!

busface999 Sat 23-May-20 13:19:38

Outs so far today:
- 8 stained bibs that have gone in the textile recycling
- 1 of DS's sun hats (too small)
- An oven glove lurking in the back of a cupboard that we bought on holiday one year, but was purely decorative and served no purpose protecting your hands!
- Two car sun shade things (pack of four, we only need two and the spare two had just been plonked)
- A carbon monoxide alarm left here by the previous owners, which we've never put fresh batteries in

Also consolidated two under-bed storage boxes into one (mine and DH's holiday clothes) then put the spare box to good use with some stuff that had no home. Feeling positive!

PickledLilly Sat 23-May-20 13:27:57

Today’s job is to go though the masses of jeans I have, try them on and list or charity shop the ones I don’t wear. I’ve noticed I only actually wear about three pairs on rotation despite having vast piles of them in my wardrobe.

PickledLilly Sat 23-May-20 14:10:17

Five pairs of brand new or only worn a handful of times jeans listed on eBay so far!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »