Talk

Advanced search

How long do your washing cycles take ?

(50 Posts)
jenni75 Wed 09-Nov-11 18:15:25

Hi, been looking at washers and couldn't beleive how long some of the cycles take, could you tell me how long it takes for your washer to do a 40/60 cottons and a 40 easycare,

Cheers, jen smile

PattySimcox Wed 09-Nov-11 18:26:48

Mine has got loads of different ones ranging from a 30 degree quick wash - 15 mins which is surprisingly good for all but the grubbiest stuff; to a 2h 30m 90 degree wash.

You may find that to be more environmentally friendly they have to take longer to use less water / energy.

Anyway to answer your question 40 cottons - 1h 40ish 60 cottons 2h; 40 easycare 50m

mousyfledermaus Wed 09-Nov-11 18:37:12

one hour and more. my mashine has no quick wash.
shortest 30 cotton or cold wool wash.
60 cotton take 2 hours...

Mandy2003 Wed 09-Nov-11 21:37:11

I wash nearly everything on a 40 degree synthetics wash. It takes 1 HOUR AND 55 MINUTES which at this time of year makes it really difficult to dry anything outdoors. I had to get up early to put the washing on today.

No quick wash programme. There is a 30 minute wash but it uses cold water. Great.

It is a 6 year old Beko. My previous machine (25 year old Hotpoint) would do the same wash in less than an hour. Why? Why? <stomps off muttering>

Beamur Wed 09-Nov-11 21:39:49

30 minute quick wash
1.5 hrs 40 degree cottons cycle
1.25 hrs 50 degree synthetics cycle
Hot 90 degree wash would be well over 2 hrs. Seems ludicrously long!

ASuitableGirl Wed 09-Nov-11 21:41:17

I never understand ours as you can do the same wash (40 degrees non fast coloureds) and it take 2 hours one day and about 45 minutes another day. Is odd.

Becaroooo Thu 10-Nov-11 13:55:27

I have a Bosch washer and I like it, but the cycles are ALL long except the 15 min quick wash!

A 60 degree wash with pre wash is nearly 3 hours!!!!

Seona1973 Thu 10-Nov-11 14:06:38

I think my 40 degree wash is about 1 1/2 hours but there is a time saver button that shortens it to around 1 hour which I will use if the clothes arent too dirty. It also has options for a 29 minute, 44 minute and 59 minute quick washes but the recommended load size is a lot smaller than on the normal washes. I have a hoover washer dryer.

ChippingInNeedsSleep Thu 10-Nov-11 14:12:22

ASuitableGirl - does it weigh your clothes? (Mine does and assesses how much time it requires hmm)

Jenni - I can't tell you as mine weights the clothes to determine how long it will take. However, for a full wash (well, I call it a full wash, others would jam the same amount again in, so I found out on another thread!!) it takes about 2:40. It has a variety of settings including a short wash which is 30 mins, it seems OK, but I prefer to use the full wash.

It's an LG 7kg and I'm happy with it, bought it from Boots Electrical on line and had fab service.

ASuitableGirl Thu 10-Nov-11 16:26:48

I had wondered about that but really don't think it's sophisticated enough for that. Plus it seems to take longer with smaller washes sometimes hmm

nannyl Sat 12-Nov-11 22:22:00

my 7kg john lewis machine does 7kg of cottons at 30 in 50mins, 40 55mins and 60 in an hour (so long as you press quick, which washes everything fine, including getting baby poo out of clothes)

a 7kg cotton on intensive (ie even more cleaning than normal) with an extra rinse is 2 hours 58 mins (thats my nappy setting)

ChippingInNeedsSleep Sun 13-Nov-11 03:47:48

I did a wash today - it was on the 'cottons' setting (so regular wash), 40 deg, 1200 spin, half load (as I say that depends on your definition, could probably be classed as a quarter load according to many MNers!!) it said it would take 1hr 37 mins. Quick enough for me to peg out before I went out - fab! Except I bloody well forgot grin

Have you bought it already? I thought you were looking around for one to buy? Bit confused confused I do like my LG though if you are still looking.

valiumredhead Sun 13-Nov-11 12:09:12

Quick wash is 31 minutes.

notcitrus Sun 13-Nov-11 12:24:29

1h29 for easycare 30/40 degrees, 2h12 for cottons. Both can be reduced to just under an hour if I press the 'Reduced Time' button but I only do that if the machine isn't full. I never use the 'intensive' washes or prewashes etc - if something's that stained I soak in a bucket first!

It's a Bosch Exxcel - can cope with all the bedding from a kingsize bed, no idea how many kg that is. It does have a timer which is wonderful - shove stuff in last thing at night, and it's ready to hang out when I get up.

valiumredhead Sun 13-Nov-11 12:55:02

I'd never get all my washing done with anything longer than a half hour cycle!

ChippingInNeedsSleep Sun 13-Nov-11 13:00:40

Valium - how many people live in your house shock grin

Mine does a 30 min quick wash, I just don't like to use it. If it was called a 30 min super efficient amazing wash - I'd probably use it grin It just doesn't feel enough - but I'm sure it is.

valiumredhead Sun 13-Nov-11 13:05:43

There's 3 of us and I am stunned at how much washing we create and I am NOT against wearing things more than once. I never seem to get on top of the washing and leave it until I need to do at least 3 loads, so a quick wash is essential and gets everything clean. I do the whites on a 50 min cycle.

OhYouBadBadkitten Sun 13-Nov-11 13:17:22

jumpers go on a wool wash which takes 50 mins, everything else goes on a jet thing wash (no idea what that is) at 30 deg full spin takes 2 12 minutes. Which is too long so I put the timer on so it finishes just before I get up in the morning.

ChippingInNeedsSleep Sun 13-Nov-11 13:30:11

valium - does it get you stressy or are you fine with how things are?

notcitrus Sun 13-Nov-11 13:40:30

valium - do you have a tiny machine or what do you wash?
There's 3 of us (me, MrNC, 3yo ds), and we have about 4-5 washes max a week - two loads of dark clothes which includes all ds's ones, one of light clothes, then say one of bedding and one of towels but usually mixed as they don't all need doing every week. Even when we had an extra couple loads a week from nappies or wet sheets and MrNC's sports kit once a week, it wasn't that much.

So I'm most confused at how you end up with so much!

valiumredhead Sun 13-Nov-11 13:53:12

Wait til your ds starts doing games at school! grin - I have to wash rugby kits 4 x a week and games kit twice and then our stuff too. I have a huge machine too, it's a big meile one. If I did it every day I expect it would be a load a day , maybe two but as I said I am never that organised so I leave it til I need to do it - I flap around making sure the rugby stuff is done but my washing skills end there! On the plus side I manage to keep the rest of the house very clean and tidy, something's got to give and with me it's the washing.

valiumredhead Sun 13-Nov-11 13:54:49

chipping not stressy at all - just really like being able to do it quickly with a 30 min cycle. I am sure if the machine had a longer cycle it would force me into doing it every day.

valiumredhead Sun 13-Nov-11 14:07:57

This morning I have managed to get 5 loads of washing and drying done - I had a mountain! grin

valiumredhead Sun 13-Nov-11 14:09:22

And towels and bedding - 2 loads for towels and one for bedding.

I am over thinking my washing habits now grin

notcitrus Sun 13-Nov-11 14:29:59

Ah, rugby - explains it all!
Suspect ds will be a rugby player when bigger, not to mention simply having bigger clothes, so pleasures to come... smile
I couldn't cope without the timer on my washer - I'm so glad MrNC talked me into that model!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: