Talk

Advanced search

What can I put in my hoover to stop the smell?

(25 Posts)
Deuce Tue 04-Oct-11 11:44:58

I have changed the filters and the bag but we have dogs and I hoover everyday I I presume that it is just a dog smell from it. The smell out of it when I am using it is horrible, I am sure I read somewhere that there is something you can pop into the bag to stop that.

Thanks.

4madboys Tue 04-Oct-11 11:53:55

you can put some bicarb of soda in that will absorb the odours smile

Deuce Tue 04-Oct-11 12:08:45

Thanks for that, how much and do I sprinke it into the bag?

4madboys Tue 04-Oct-11 12:34:05

i just put it in the opening bit before i put a new bag into the hoover and give it a shake around smile

4madboys Tue 04-Oct-11 12:34:26

oh you asked how much, um a tablespoon i guess smile

4madboys Tue 04-Oct-11 12:34:43

and by the opening bit i mean the open bit on the bag!

toddlerama Tue 04-Oct-11 12:35:56

SEBO do these little apple scented things that look like the inside of an old fashioned felt tip pen. You drop it in and smell spicy apples everytime you hoover. I hate 'airfreshener' smells, but this is good.

Deuce Tue 04-Oct-11 13:27:12

What is SEBO? I like the sounds of that!

CroissantNeuf Tue 04-Oct-11 13:29:21

Some heads of fresh lavender work well as I found out by accident when hoovering up some spilt lavender.

4madboys Tue 04-Oct-11 15:16:19

SEBO is a make of hoover and accessories, john lewis and most big deparment stores sell them smile we used to have a SEBO hoover, it was very good, lasted ages, we now have a miele, purely because it was on offer when we came to need a new hoover and it is recomended by the allergy foundation (i am allergic to lots of stuff) so needed a good filter on the hoover etc.

SmudgyDVDsAreEvil Tue 04-Oct-11 17:20:45

If you sprinkle the bicarb of soda on the carpet before hoovering that helps to deodorise the carpets too, and it all ends up in the hoover bag.

Avoid doing this on the rough very 'open' weave nylon sort though, as the bits tend to get stuck!

Deuce Tue 04-Oct-11 22:37:06

divedaisy Tue 04-Oct-11 22:59:29

i use the room sachets - you know the ones you sit on your radiator that heat up?? I pop one between the bag and the outer cover - works a treat! My house smells of vanilla (when I hoover that is....)

OChellyD Fri 18-Nov-11 13:28:42

hiya everyone im new to this site, i dont have kids at the moment but i do love cleaning ( hence the name) ive herd from a few people that if u put a few drops of oil on a cotton ball,and place in the hoover, it realease a nice smell,but this is where i have a problem.... im not sure where to put the cotton ball, Do i put it in the top section of my hoover where the filter is, or do i put it in the main bit of the hoover(my hoover is a bagless one,not sure if that makes a difference) can anyone help please,

UptownAbbie Fri 18-Nov-11 13:43:25

I sprinkle a few drops of essential oil - grapefruit - on a tissue, shred it a bit and hoover it up, lovely fresh smell. Also tuck oil+tissue behind radiators, smell lasts for ages.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 18-Nov-11 14:06:12

If its a cylinder vacuum take the hose off and wash it in the sink using hot water and washing up liquid. You will be surprised how muck comes out.

betterwhenthesunshines Sat 19-Nov-11 13:21:51

oooh! <goes off to wash hoover hose while wondering, surely there must be more to life!>

racingheart Sun 20-Nov-11 19:30:56

I finally found an answer to this one (same problem - lots of pets means the hoover is used often but smells rank even when the bag is new. I tried essential oils on cotton wool that smell gorgeous on the first day but go off. the best thing I've found is a cotton wool ball soaked in Zoflora disinfectant, which has a strong but very fresh floral smell. It seems yo deodorise everything in the hoover bag so however long the bag lasts, the smell stays fresh. Any thing to avoid that hideous smell of pets masked by air-freshener!

anitaacle Wed 03-Aug-16 04:19:52

Hi I am new to this site ,I have got a Dyson Hoover which also smells as soon as I use it ,I have got a little dog it is not a nice smell .I use zoflora in a fresh air globe which makes the room smell nice until I switch on the Hoover ,ugh not nice we do not like to think our houses smell .any advice would be helpful .many thanks Anita.

e1y1 Thu 04-Aug-16 11:46:18

A few of those Lenor Unstoppables scent beads work great in the hoover.

Serialweightwatcher Thu 04-Aug-16 15:29:41

Just looked up on internet because my hoover whiffs today from the dog - do you put the unstoppables in the actual hoover bag e1y1 - I have about 3 tubs full of those because if I use them in wash I can't smell them at all confused

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 04-Aug-16 15:34:40

I put a tissue soaked with lavender essential oil in the bag.

Serialweightwatcher Thu 04-Aug-16 18:03:24

Just used the unstoppables and used them when bag half full, so already very smelly and it worked yaaay smile

Keepingupwiththejonesys Thu 04-Aug-16 18:08:19

I hoover everyday (one dog and two toddlers) but also use shake and vac once a.week. I use loads and my hoover smells of it now which is lovely!

hairymuffet Sun 07-Aug-16 13:52:40

I use a few unstoppables

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now