Talk

Advanced search

1.5 sinks vs just one sink (utterly tedious I know), are they worth it?

(25 Posts)
docket Thu 25-Nov-10 13:08:23

As I say, very dull Q but can anyone pass an opinion on whether having one full bowl, one half one is worth it vs just a single one? Planning new kitchen, dh sinks necessary, I don't.

Many thanks

MaryBS Thu 25-Nov-10 13:10:07

Its not necessary, but really useful, particularly if you want to drain saucepan whilst washing up in sink, for instance! I would consider it very important in any kitchen I had.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 25-Nov-10 13:10:24

Yes! The half bowl is just fab for veggies. We have a macerator under our half bowl one.

porcupine11 Thu 25-Nov-10 13:10:41

take the half sink, i'm missing it soooooo much since we moved, one is a nightmare!

belgo Thu 25-Nov-10 13:10:50

lol at 'dh sinks necessary, '

I have one and a half sinks. Can't really think of why they are useful, but it is useful and you may as well get it done if you are planning a new kitchen.

Littlefish Thu 25-Nov-10 13:12:43

Always go for one and a half. I spent 6 months in a rented house when we were renovating our house. It only had one sink and it drove me absolutely nuts because I kept forgetting to empty mugs/saucepans etc. before I filled the sink up with washing up water.

doggiesayswoof Thu 25-Nov-10 13:19:04

Even if you have a dishwasher there will be times when you want to fill the big sink and the half sink will be useful for draining or emptying etc.

I would always go for 1.5

I like dull questions grin

marriednotdead Thu 25-Nov-10 13:32:56

Definitely 1.5, am envy

My kitchen is too small <sob> but would love to be able to rinse in the second sink rather than washing up under a running tap.

Beamur Thu 25-Nov-10 13:34:28

The extra sink is useful.

LadyPeterWimsey Thu 25-Nov-10 13:35:15

Would never dream of putting in single sink. And I don't even wash anything up in mine.

docket Thu 25-Nov-10 13:36:50

Oooh thanks. I sink wink you ladies are fab!

FerminaUrbinoDaza Thu 25-Nov-10 13:36:50

It's very, very useful to have two sinks. Even if it means the larger of the two is smaller than it would be if you just had a single sink IYSWIM.

Or, in other words, your DH is right

mousymouse Thu 25-Nov-10 14:00:49

wouldn*t want to be with just one sink. our half sink holds the containers that drain before going in the recycling bin.
my parents have a separate bucket sink in the kitchen only to be used for cleaning (large belfast style sink at knee hight)

Seona1973 Thu 25-Nov-10 14:24:26

I use the half sink bit for dirty cutlery before it goes into the dishwasher.

jalopy Thu 25-Nov-10 14:30:16

Mrsfred Thu 25-Nov-10 14:32:44

Definitely have the extra half.

jamaisjedors Thu 25-Nov-10 14:34:55

yes 1.5 minimum.

Sometimes you are washing vegetables and someone needs to rinse something, or drain, or wash their hands.

Shoppingveggie Thu 25-Nov-10 17:49:09

Yes definitely 1.5 sinks - if you have just got a nice hot bowl of soapy water and the kids want some water you can run the tap in the little sink til it is cold....

Also - sometimes if I just want to wash up a few little things I fill up that little sink.

Enjoy planning your new kitchen - I would love a new kitchen....

EssexBecca Thu 25-Nov-10 22:11:18

I used to have a 1.5 sink but went for a single butler in our new kitchen so now only have one. I did miss the missing 0.5 at the beginning but have got used to it now so would say it's not too bad if you can't fit 1.5 in (or just want the "look" of something else).
The saving grace on my butler sink is that there is a sort of big overflow hole thing to one side that you can pour mug dregs etc down even whilst the sink is full. Once I discovered this, I stopped missing my 0.5 sink. I can also run the tap into the hole thing to avoid disturbing my sinkful. Also, I'm guessing you'll have a water dispenser fridge so won't be taking drinking water from the tap any more..

RipMacWinkle Fri 26-Nov-10 10:56:39

Definitely do it.

I cannot believe it's something I feel so strongly about but I do. I totally underestimated it when we re-did our kitchen and just went for the one. Totally regret it.

It's so useful for all the reasons listed above.

I'm so envy

RubberDuck Fri 26-Nov-10 10:59:17

1.5 sinks and put in an insinkerator in the half side - awesome! Just do all the vegetable peelings directly into that side, easy peasy.

WreckoftheHesperus Fri 26-Nov-10 11:01:15

yes, don't hesitate. Saves arguments when 2 people are tryng to use the sink at once.

coatgate Fri 26-Nov-10 11:02:49

1.5 definitely. I have a lovely 1.5 Belfast sink which is fab. Spent brief period in old kitchen with only one and it was dreadful.

Snort - the things we get used to!

MilkNoSugarPlease Mon 29-Nov-10 22:26:11

At work it's a 1.5....at home it's a 1

Clearly in the minority, but makes no difference whatsoever to me! .5 is just more to clean

TheFarSide Mon 29-Nov-10 22:30:02

You can pile dirty cups/spoons in the little sink and leave the main sink free for washing veg etc.

Or you can keep your washing up sponges, brillo pads, etc in the little sink.

Even better, go for a one-and-three-quarter combo!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: