Talk

Advanced search

Oxford 2019 Offer Holders

(35 Posts)
Aurea Wed 31-Jul-19 18:16:55

I appreciate there have been similar threads, but I thought it may be nice to start a new thread to support those Mumsnetters going through the stress of results day with their DCs. For those of whom have conditional offers, of course.

My DS only has 5 days and 14 hours until his future is revealed 😂 of course I'm not on count down mode.
He is Scottish and finds out at 8am on Tuesday 6 August , by text, email and certificates in the post (delivery around 9.30am). It's all very organised for Scottish qualifications.

He has a law offer with requirements of AAB at Advanced Highers. We are feeling positive as he achieved AAA in his mocks, but of course there is still uncertainty hanging over his head. His back up is an unconditional offer from Edinburgh for Scots law which isn't too shabby.

How is everyone else feeling/coping? ......And their DCs of course? If anyone has already gone through this, what should we expect from the colleges come results day?

OP’s posts: |
Brain06626 Thu 01-Aug-19 03:19:07

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Coleoptera Thu 01-Aug-19 16:45:23

Aurea, DTs are not Oxbridge offer holders but I just wanted to say the very best of luck to your DS, who has done incredibly well and to all the others who were on the Oxbridge applicants thread for 2019 way back.

I'm sure your DS will succeed from everything you've said about him.

Hope those who got offers definitely make them and those who didn't (like DTs) find resolution.

Aurea Thu 01-Aug-19 16:56:49

Thank you Coleoptera.

It's kind of you to think of him. Please remind me of the latest with your DTs? One has a Durham offer if I recall? And the other unsure to reapply? Is that right?

Kids have so much pressure on them nowadays. I wish both your sons every success in their future paths.

Coleoptera Thu 01-Aug-19 17:10:30

Hi Aurea. Thanks for asking.

DT2 has a Durham offer and Warwick as his insurance but isn't showing much interest in either and may not even make the grades as he lost his focus after the Oxbridge rejection and I don't think will have performed as well as he can at A levels. There were no disasterous exams but I just get the feeling he'll not make A*s and he needs at least one for Durham. He's the one who can't get over his Oxford rejection and not even Durham feels as good to him as what he'd originally desired.

DT1 has firmed Exeter and only needs AAB I think and I think he's likely (though nothing's certain) to make those grades. However, he was rejected by Durham - his second choice and Exeter then came a long way down after that, although the actual course content is the best for him of any. He's less affected by his Cambridge rejection but just not enamoured by the idea of Exeter.

Basically, if they both got a very minimum of 2 A*s and then As at A level, they might think of reapplying to Oxbridge/Durham. However, the school has warned them that they will still have contextually low 'marks' for their cohort for GCSEs (most of their peers gets all A*s for GCSEs and they didn't) and even with 3 or 4 A*s at A level, then they'd have to do exceptionally well at the entrance tests and interviews to pull themselves up from this.

I really have no idea what to advise them on results day as in some ways they're wanting a life change/ to leave home etc but in other ways aren't really relishing their possible uni destinations so may not get the best out of them. Deferring might be an option but I'm not even sure how that works or if it's possible and in any case, in the next year, they may have changed their uni choices again. So it's all unknown at present.

Sometimes it all feels a bit ridiculous with this focus on exams and unis when a happy life isn't related to academic success or even earning potential. We're having lost of discussions about that this summer and just trying to stay in the moment as much as possible.

Aurea Thu 01-Aug-19 18:31:21

You sound like a fantastic, caring and supportive mum. Their anticipated grades are just great, so I'm certain the world will be their oyster and they will find their right paths. Keep us posted, either here, or on the other thread.

Aurea Thu 01-Aug-19 20:07:20

You sound like a fantastic, caring and supportive mum. Their anticipated grades are just great, so I'm certain the world will be their oyster and they will find their right paths. Keep us posted, either here, or on the other thread.

sandybayley Thu 01-Aug-19 20:43:30

@Aurea - wishing you and your son the very best of luck. I hope he gets what he needs but Edinburgh is a fine insurance to have. I'm a bit biased as an alumni!

DS1 will be applying for Oxford in 2020 so I'm watching with interest this year!

PantTwizzler Thu 01-Aug-19 22:32:50

15th August for us. DD did not feel her exams went well. At all. From my perspective she didn’t work hard enough, didn’t start revising early enough, didn’t curtail her social life really... but I fervently hope I’m wrong and that she’ll get the grades she needs. She really doesn’t want to go Warwick (her insurance offer); all her other offers were the same as Oxford. Argh!

PantTwizzler Thu 01-Aug-19 22:34:46

Sounds like your DS is in a much better position Aurea.

Aurea Fri 02-Aug-19 08:34:34

What's her subject and what grades does she need, Panttwizzler? Hopefully things will all work out.. Best of luck!

Indicative Fri 02-Aug-19 08:55:28

PantTwizzler - although her other offers were the sane grade requirements as Oxford I hope her school gave her information about the possibility of them still accepting her on lower than offer grades as insurance. You can put firm and insurance as same offers as many do accept with a lower than offer. A friend's daughter had Durham as insurance, didn't meet the offer grades but was still accepted

PantTwizzler Fri 02-Aug-19 11:05:31

Aurea — Classics AAA
Indicative — no she didn’t get that advice. I’m really gutted because she would have been very happy with eg Durham where she even got her first choice of college.

Indicative Fri 02-Aug-19 11:11:01

If she doesn't make her firm choice it would definitely be worth looking at what is in clearing with a view to being released by her insurance choice.

PantTwizzler Fri 02-Aug-19 11:23:28

I regard myself as reasonably well informed about university entrance but I’ve really dropped the ball on this one. There was absolutely no advice from school AFAIK about this.

zxcv123 Fri 02-Aug-19 21:14:21

Well hello all. I'm also fretting about the possibility of a missed offer. DS did work hard, revised well etc but had one random, very difficult paper which I'm concerned means he might not get the necessary A*.

Judging by what he said about his other subjects, I can see him potentially getting A*s in all of them, but not in the one that matters sad. Hope I'm wrong.

Aurea Sat 03-Aug-19 17:16:39

*Zxcv
Hopefully all will be well. Worrying is a natural reaction and will get worse the nearer you are to results day.

Aurea Tue 06-Aug-19 12:03:46

He's got in! He achieved his offer for law. Scottish results out today
Hopefully more will follow soon. ....🍀

Hollybollybingbong Tue 06-Aug-19 14:00:11

Fantastic news Aurea, congratulations to DS and good luck to everyone else.

goodbyestranger Tue 06-Aug-19 14:23:32

Very well done to Aurea DS.

PantTwizzler the reason DS3 didn't put down Durham as his insurance (History) was because when he e-mailed the department to ask what would happen if he missed his grades as an insurance applicant, he got a very full reply (which he gave me to read) saying that as a matter of policy the department refuses to consider insurance applicants with missed grades. A series of statistics were then given to show that they had more firm applicants with missed grades than they could accommodate so the insurance applicants simply went on the heap. It must vary between departments given Indicative's friend, but I'd be very, very cautious on that front with Durham. If DD gets into that happy position this year, of having an offer from her top two choices, then I'll strongly advise her to e-mail the same question to the Classics dept at Durham before wasting the place.

PortusCale Tue 06-Aug-19 14:27:41

Many congratulations to your DS Aurea - what fantastic news. You must be very happy I'm sure.

My DS isn't an Oxbridge offer holder, waiting until 15th August to see what options he might have.

Good luck to any other offer holders waiting - I saw some students on BBC breakfast news this morning. Stressful times all round.

goodbyestranger Tue 06-Aug-19 14:29:14

(In a curious twist on results day Bristol - the insurance he went with, which had given a much more encouraging response to the question asked of Durham - offered him a place as well as Oxford. Bristol was A*AA and Oxford AAA so no idea what happened there!).

PantTwizzler Tue 06-Aug-19 15:23:24

Wonderful Aurea. What a feeling!

Feeling like a wally that neither DD nor I thought to email the other places which offered the same grades as Oxford. But reassuring that at least Durham may not have been a possibility anyway.

zxcv123 Tue 06-Aug-19 15:29:46

Oh that's great news Aurea. I bet you are celebrating in your house wine wine star

goodbyestranger Tue 06-Aug-19 15:31:44

PantTwizzler none of the five older DC ever e-mailed either and three of those blithely put Durham down as insurance with the same offer as their firm, hoping to haggle if it came to it....

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in