Talk

Advanced search

The Landscapers are here, it is better than the arrival of Santa

(59 Posts)
pithivier Sat 10-Dec-16 12:02:29

Back in late summer, I posted asking for advice about changing my garden into low maintenance. The reason is my deteriorating health and physical ability. Well the advice and support I got was wonderful, particularly from those who recognised the emotional difficulty of destroying a garden I cared for for 40 years and having dispose of lots of plants.

I spent weeks drawing plans, making plant lists. Anyone would have thought I was developing the whole of Kew Gardens rather than by 26feet by 14 feet plot. The landscaper introduced me to a designer who I liked immediately. She produced 2 designs one of which was exactly what I had sketched out, but just improved.

So now they are here and I am so happy, I have let go of the angst and am now happily antipating the new garden. Thank you again for all the hand (spade) holding.

pithivier Sat 10-Dec-16 12:04:37

Old garden

bookbook Sat 10-Dec-16 22:08:07

ooh - name change? I'm sure I remember your kind offer of Japanese anemones smile
Sounds like you are going to be all ready for Christmas ?, which is a wonderful present for you .

pithivier Sun 11-Dec-16 08:18:47

Yes, name change, how is your garden bookbook?

bookbook Sun 11-Dec-16 23:11:22

damp around the edges pithvier.
We DH has revamped and planted a new bed at the front, and everything is settling in nicely. But we had a sharp cold spell, followed by rain and warm, and now its looking a bit miserable tbh.
it's all the damp leaves that are a bit depressing - I have raked them up off the grass, but not really had the chance to do the beds, so all the plants are poking out their heads above 3" of damp leaf mulch smile

pithivier Mon 12-Dec-16 07:15:14

All of my plantsI am saving are now in pots and are huddled together in front of my house. This is quite a small area close to the pavement, so I am hoping they are safe. I live on a housing estate so no drive by traffic and little foot traffic, but I did take the precaution of taking my two recent Acer purchases to my daughter's.

shovetheholly Mon 12-Dec-16 07:18:25

This time of year is peak plant misery - my garden is the same book. I'm sure it'll perk up in a few weeks!

pithiver I've not had anything stolen from a front garden ever - plants are pretty heavy things to move, I guess, and probably hard to shift once pinched as well! I really hope the garden is coming on apace - it's lovely to have read about this through all the stages and for the time finally to be here! Hooray!

bookbook Mon 12-Dec-16 09:37:32

I've not had anything stolen either , thank goodness. But I can see the worry, as these plants mean a lot to you, as you have saved them from your garden.
I'm glad it's not just me shove - I haven't done much in the garden or the allotment this week. Today DH and I are assessing trees . Now the branches are bare, we need to stand back, look at them from all angles and check to see if any more lopping/pruning is necessary. We have done the basic stuff already - the diseased and overhanging branches. Now its the shape and checking . And I may get to rid myself of some leaves into the compost bin. I tend to leave them at the back of the border, under the hedges for some winter protection for wildlife, but like to have it a bit tidier at the front smile

pithivier Mon 12-Dec-16 10:04:45

I used to have huge pots in my front garden, one of which I hated. It was totally pot bound and impossible to move. Someone. 'did me a huge favour one night n by stealing it. That is the only thing I have ever lost. It must of taken two very strong guys to move it.

shovetheholly Mon 12-Dec-16 12:21:25

pithivier - shock They must have come prepared for that one! Not an opportunistic theft, is it?

And YY to it being that time of year for trees. I need to take the half of the water shoots out of my apple tree that I didn't remove in the summer. Many of them still have the leaves on! I'm seriously hoping that this twice-a-year regime starts to slow the tree down soon like it's supposed to! It really is a bit of a beast.

bookbook Mon 12-Dec-16 15:04:39

Water shoots are a pain. Luckily we don't seem to get many, but some trees are prone to them more than others i believe.
And yes to what shove says - they must have come prepared to steal something like that.
How long do the landscapers expect the work will take pithivier ?

pithivier Mon 12-Dec-16 15:15:57

They think January. The are only a small team, really nice though.

pithivier Fri 16-Dec-16 07:50:04

The first two underlayers of the paving are down, fences painted and the trellis is going up today. Then the drainage and lighting . Beds are going to be filled with soil next week and then the boys are going to plant the big stuff before the paying goes down?

My plant list is gradually whittled down to a third of its size and possibly some might. It make the final cut.

pithivier Fri 16-Dec-16 07:52:42

Just a slight alteration to the plan, as I am not having the two beds closest to house. I have lots of pots, so will put them there. The beds will be permanent low maintenance planting but the pots will allow me to still garden and make seasonal changes.

shovetheholly Fri 16-Dec-16 08:58:13

It's going to be amazing pithivier! It can be strange seeing the diggers raise the space, but your plan is lovely. I really adore the way that you snake up the garden so there is a sense of mystery and revelation - so important, even in a small space!

bookbook Fri 16-Dec-16 09:22:50

Gosh pithvier - that plan looks impressive , and I quite see why not the two beds - it's nice to change things for the seasons . It is going to look lovely!

pithivier Sat 17-Dec-16 08:41:41

It has been amazing watching the transformation. The trellis is now up and there is a possibility that it could be ready bu Christmas.

pithivier Sat 24-Dec-16 07:56:43

The best Christmas present I have ever had. Next week they are planting the stuff I have decided to keep. So the back area will have Rose's and pyracantha all around. I have ordered 6 trees to be planted I. The right angled bed, hopefully to create the illusion of a Woodland Walk.

pithivier Sat 24-Dec-16 07:58:45

Oops

pithivier Sat 24-Dec-16 08:02:35

Meant to post this one instead of 2 the same

bookbook Sat 24-Dec-16 08:14:28

It is looking incredibly smart. No wonder you are pleased.
Happy Christmas ! smile

pithivier Sat 24-Dec-16 08:34:16

Happy Christmas BookBook

pithivier Sun 25-Dec-16 20:36:19

Christmas present from my granddaughter.

bookbook Tue 27-Dec-16 17:10:38

They are lovely! And a good make too smile Clever granddaughter

pithivier Tue 27-Dec-16 17:30:48

Delivering the top soil tomorrow and they will do the first stage of the planting. Can't wait.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now