Advanced search

Waitrose Deliver vs Ocado

(46 Posts)
TrillianAstra Wed 23-Sep-09 21:41:46

Any thoughts?

Which one is likely to be:

#cheaper

#better able to deliver the things I want

#more likely to give me random free stuff (or is all that just a myth?)

FlamingoDuBeke Wed 23-Sep-09 21:50:15

You're right. That is a boring thread.

FlamingoDuBeke Wed 23-Sep-09 21:50:35

grin

TrillianAstra Wed 23-Sep-09 21:51:49

Thanks. grin

Think I should probably stick to Tesco anyway, I like my clubcard points and am poor stingy.

<reminds self never to claim to be poor on MN>

FlamingoDuBeke Wed 23-Sep-09 21:52:23

I like Sainsburys myself. Hate Tesco with a passion.

stainesmassif Wed 23-Sep-09 21:52:32

good question trillian - am i missing the point? i would like to know the difference!

Salsavita Wed 23-Sep-09 21:53:45

<< sucks in air between teeth >>

Hmmm, I love Ocado and have used them a few times. Waitrose don't deliver round these parts!

Tesco will be cheaper...

TrillianAstra Wed 23-Sep-09 21:54:56

Maybe I should tart myself between them, staying away long enough to be sent discount vouchers to lure me back grin

Sainsburys Basics is supposed to be awful.

TrillianAstra Wed 23-Sep-09 21:56:45

I know Salsavita, I'm not asking for opinions on Tesco, I already know Tesco

DP mentioned trying Waitrose (possbly a result of all their adverts for their essentials range - which I know is not actually as cheap as another supermarket's cheapo range) and I realised there are two ways to get Waitrose things.

FlamingoDuBeke Wed 23-Sep-09 21:57:02

Hmmm....I've read the opposite in other articles.

I have to say I haven't compared their basic range with other value ranges, but we don't have a problem with their basic stuff at all. Only a few things - ham, because you have to buy ginormous packs of it that you can't get through in the three days you're meant to once it's opened. And a few odd other things. The rest has been fine for us.

Salsavita Wed 23-Sep-09 22:01:48

Just to say though Trill, everytime Ocado have delivered, they have delivered everything I have asked for and it has all been nice and the dates are usually good.

TrillianAstra Wed 23-Sep-09 22:05:03

I guess the Times test only looked at a limited number of things. It backs up my 'not bothering to buy organic' stance though.

silverfrog Wed 23-Sep-09 22:08:30

I use Ocado - am signed up to their pay monthly delivery scheme.

I went for Ocado because Waitrose deliver didn't deliver where I used to live.

Ocado are fab. Always have everything I order (or tell you at point of order it's unavailable, so you can choose your own alternative).

and they have weirdo unusual products too, like buffalo milk (seriously - you should try it, it's great) which works for us as a food freak allergic family

FlamingoDuBeke Wed 23-Sep-09 22:10:39

I buy organic for other reasons than taste though, TA. But our organic stuff comes from Riverford and the milkman, not Sainsburys.

TrillianAstra Wed 23-Sep-09 22:21:27

Oooh, posh wink

SardineQueen Wed 23-Sep-09 22:21:43

I asked myself this very question earlier trillian.

I came up with:

waitrose deliver pick from the store near to you and deliver it (duh!)

ocado have warehouses that they pick from so ecologically better as not being delivered to store then onto you

probably better use by dates etc on ocado for same reason, and better stocks

ocado do offers which are ocado only ie cheaper than instore

the only reason I can see for using waitrose deliver is that they are wholly owned by partners so all profits to staff, while ocado is part JLP part for profit so not quite so feel-good in that way.

God I spend too much time thinking about JL/waitrose. I get it from my mum.

TrillianAstra Wed 23-Sep-09 22:21:54

(all lentil-weavers can ignore anything I say about shops, obviously)

hanaflowerhatestheDM Wed 23-Sep-09 22:24:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TrillianAstra Wed 23-Sep-09 22:31:04

Thanks for taking the time to answer my very boring query everyone.

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Wed 23-Sep-09 22:31:13

Ocado website is better, ecological reasons also apply. plus you know the sell-by dates before you buy as they're displayed on the website.

They rarely seem to substitute, the delivery men have always been cheerful and helpful ime, and you get a free copy of the Times.

stainesmassif Wed 23-Sep-09 22:32:01

love the comprehensive answer SQ, that's the kind of answer i was hoping to see!

silverfrog Wed 23-Sep-09 22:34:19

oh, and one of the best things about Ocado is the iphone app. really handy

TrillianAstra Wed 23-Sep-09 22:36:48

Will they give me a free iphone so I can use the app? wink

stainesmassif Wed 23-Sep-09 22:44:37

funny, i would have expected the guardian from a jl co.

SardineQueen Wed 23-Sep-09 22:47:28

Was on another thread that ocado/times having mutual advertising love-in sessions.

I want the Independent. And an iphone. And a hot efficient person to deliver it all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now