Talk

Advanced search

Soupdragon, please come and tell me about condensed milk in flap jacks

(37 Posts)
Bumperlicious Sat 12-Feb-11 20:57:07

I've read you recommending this a few times, but saying they can be too sweet. Do you have a definitive recipe? How much condensed milk. I've got jumbo oats, are they not so good?

Help me please, I need a sweet treat!

Bumperlicious Sat 12-Feb-11 22:33:39

Bump

Bumperlicious Sun 13-Feb-11 10:21:15

Bump again

Bumperlicious Sun 13-Feb-11 14:55:38

Hellooooo? I could just pm you but it's a pita on my iPhone.

SoupDragon Mon 14-Feb-11 10:30:41

LOL.

I leave out all the sugar now. I think it is unnecessary.

I don't know what the argument against posh oats is - perhaps the bigger ones don't hold together so well?

Condensed milk is half a tin for the recipe I posted I think (I halved the recipe I had as it made vast quantities and the amount of butter was horrendous)

SoupDragon Mon 14-Feb-11 10:33:00

wrt the sugar, its a matter of taste. The amount I listed in the recipe was already a reduced amount and it's still too sweet for me (and I do have a sweet tooth). No sugar at all was probably a little too drastic though.

maryz Mon 14-Feb-11 10:38:19

Where is the recipe [nosy].

And do they stay in one piece, every time I make flapjacks we end up eating half of them with a spoon because they turn into muesli blush.

moogalicious Mon 14-Feb-11 10:41:23

maryz you're overcooking them. I found a smaller tin and reducing the heat and cooking time helps. Gas mark 3 30 mins.

SoupDragon Mon 14-Feb-11 11:29:41

Here

And many other places if you search for the word flapjack posted by soupdragon

maryz Mon 14-Feb-11 11:47:38

Thanks - I probably have been overcooking. Soupdragon, in all these years I didn't realise that I could search under "posted by" and "includes words" at the same time blush.

I wondered how everyone found links to old threads so easily shock.

eeky Mon 14-Feb-11 15:41:57

Soupdragon, I love you! Ihave been trying to make perfect flapjacks for years. Tried your recipe yesterday and the result is delicious! Condensed milk definitely the secret star ingredient. I used athird of the amount of sugar you had and it was perfect.
Thank you grin

SoupDragon Mon 14-Feb-11 16:31:38

Oooh, my first Valentine's Day declaration of love

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Mon 14-Feb-11 16:34:25

Soupdragon, I DON'T love you. I have put on at least a stone since I started making your flapjacks, at least once a week, a month ago!! Obviously, I don't have to eat them all, but I can't help myself. They are AMAZING. The DCs adore them. Interested to hear your take on the sugar, though, and will reduce the amount next time. Haven't dared until now in case it ruined them!

I made some just last night, in fact, and had one for ninrses elevenses this morning.

SoupDragon Mon 14-Feb-11 16:47:11

I wish I could find the original recipe - it was horrendously sweet! It came about after a MN thread trying to find a recipe to make shop bought flapjacks which all seemed to contain condensed milk.

I had to do extensive research to perfect the recipe I found. Nothing is too much work for my fellow MNers.

Bumperlicious Mon 14-Feb-11 17:44:37

Thanks soupy. I'm going to give them a try. The posh oats must have been on offer or something when I bought them. Should I whizz them up a bit do you thing?

SoupDragon Mon 14-Feb-11 17:45:11

No idea

[helpful]

oxocube Mon 14-Feb-11 17:58:23

Have also just made them and they smell and look perfect - too hot to eat but am very excited. Have added this to 'favourites' along with Mars' lemon drizzle and SuzyWong's brownies grin

Thank you!!

maryz Mon 14-Feb-11 23:36:33

ok, you have all convinced me.

Now, what do you do with the other half of the tin of condensed milk? Would it be unreasonable to eat it with a spoon, or do I have to make double quantities?

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Tue 15-Feb-11 09:11:40

You HAVE to make double the quantities, because otherwise they'll be gone in a blink!

I added some ginger to my last lot and they are delish.

SoupDragon Tue 15-Feb-11 10:03:41

I froze half a tin once. interestingly, it didn't freeze solid (but kept fine). Eating with a spoon is perfectly acceptable though as is making double quantities.

SoupDragon Tue 15-Feb-11 10:05:43

Additions I"ve made... All fab (not all together mind you)

Ground ginger
Chocolate
raisins
assorted seeds (keep the total oats + seeds to the weight of the oats in the original)
Exchanged the syrup for honey when I had no syrup.

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Tue 15-Feb-11 12:21:43

How about vanilla? I did that a couple of weeks ago and was tres popular.

DD2 eats the mixture with ice cream!

Honestly, Soupdragon, it's the most popular recipe I've ever tried. smile

Bumperlicious Tue 15-Feb-11 12:40:24

Wrt the rest of the tin, you could make half a batch of nigella's chocolate fudge.

maryz Tue 15-Feb-11 13:14:20

Or I could open another tin, and make a whole batch of nigella's chocolate fudge grin. Oh dear, I feel a couple of stone diet coming on.

Bumperlicious Tue 15-Feb-11 13:23:24

The good thing about nigella's fudge is you can freeze it and eat it straight from the freezer which means it lasts for two days a bit longer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now