Talk

Advanced search

Annoying movie cliches

(40 Posts)
ZingDramaQueenOfSheeba Sat 08-Aug-15 23:02:43

the sheets - always L shaped, to cover the woman up to her shoulders but the man's chest can be seen

every phone number in America starts with or includes 555

nick a car and drive off? no problem, the person you took it from is your exact height which is why you don't need to adjust the seats or the mirrors
grin

fish tanks - the bigger they are the more likely they will at some point be demolished in a spectacular fashion

blood stains - stays bright red even after months or years

bruises, broken bones and even gunshot wounds heal incredibly quickly

fingerprints taken off buttons are almost always perfectly intact

mobile phones - never need charging, nor do they run out of batteries, unless....

mobile phones run out of battery at the exact moment the hiding person's pursuers are just about to walk off.
darn it, who saw that coming?grin

drivers do not need to watch the road. looking at and talking to the person in front passanger seat will suffice, the longer they hold each others gaze the faster they can go!

bombs with timer counting back - they get diffused the very last second. count on it!
also the hero must close their eyes and make faces when cutting the wire as these gestures will ensure protection just in case the bomb explodes.

underwater scenes - apart from in Saving Private Ryan's opening scene jumping into water will ensure your safety acting as an invisible shield against a hail of bullets

grin

Pottypourpianos Sat 08-Aug-15 23:08:52

Lurve scenes - man on top.

Labour - woman inevitably on her back sometimes in stirrups confused

Using product placements / props/ clothing as a shortcut to conveying personality/replacement for character development

Children always put to bed with lamps on .

Characters having ridiculously unrealistic conversations with small children. All about making the emotional connection with kids showing sort of native wisdom beyond their years....

HappyHippyChick Sat 08-Aug-15 23:13:07

I was just coming on to mention the L shaped sheets! The 555 number is done deliberately so they never use a real number, which happened a couple of times before they started using it. Not sure who rings random numbers from films, but apparently they do!

ZingDramaQueenOfSheeba Sat 08-Aug-15 23:18:34

woman wearing a nightie and going down the stairs to investigate the noises she'd heard
lights suddenly not working and in likelihood it's raining outside

Samcro Sat 08-Aug-15 23:20:49

we just watched Faster. ok its not high brow film, but it involves a lot of driving.....yet he NEVER EVER GOT GAS(its in the USA)

ZingDramaQueenOfSheeba Sat 08-Aug-15 23:26:53

bank robbery - there tends to be a pg woman

reddaisy Sat 08-Aug-15 23:30:35

I hate the near misses - boy and girl made for each other in big city but one leaves Fifth Avenue just before the other one drives down it.

If someone walks off in a huff, you are only allowed to call after them "Sandy! Sandy! Sandyyyy wait!" - but never actually follow them.

Woman thinks man is a twat but gets with him in the end because they are made for each other.

ashtrayheart Sat 08-Aug-15 23:30:41

Make up stays intact whatever the situation
No one ever needs the toilet unless it's part of a death scene

reddaisy Sat 08-Aug-15 23:32:00

Best friend scenes, best friend is always willing to debate relationship situation of leading man/woman for hours without ever being asked: "Sorry, I've been banging on, what's new with you?"

reddaisy Sat 08-Aug-15 23:35:05

Best friend scenes, best friend is always willing to debate relationship situation of leading man/woman for hours without ever being asked about their day: "Sorry, I've been banging on, what's new with you?"

RuffDiamond Sat 08-Aug-15 23:46:32

Woman waking up with full face of make up.

annandale Sat 08-Aug-15 23:52:05

The public proposal with massive round of applause afterwards.

The dad who treats his daughter's boyfriend like a - what, exactly? Like a criminal? None of my partners would have put up with it for a minute. Luckily my dad doesn't see my sex life as his special protected area hmm

ZingDramaQueenOfSheeba Sun 09-Aug-15 00:54:38

last minute airport dash

I loved it in Friends though, because Ross went to the wrong airport. that was good

ZingDramaQueenOfSheeba Tue 11-Aug-15 14:49:27

when sneaking in somewhere they leave the door open. how stupid is that?

mondayhangover Wed 12-Aug-15 15:47:11

Flirting. It's always really OTT and in your face. Like with the whole "hey, gimme a call some time....anytime" and the wink and come to bed eyes. Smoooooth as butter wink

In rl, is it ever like that?? confused

WalfordEast Wed 12-Aug-15 17:24:16

I hate the "pick you up later"

Where- WHEN?!!

MadHattersWineParty Wed 12-Aug-15 17:31:53

Yes! And when two people arrange a date, and just magically all the information of what time and where to meet just floats into their brains through osmosis or something.

iklboo Wed 12-Aug-15 17:33:28

DH did a public proposal. We got a massive round of applause. And loads of free drinks for the rest of the night from complete strangers grin

SisterNancySinatra Wed 12-Aug-15 17:34:12

The top police detective lives in skanky run down apartment with nothing in fridge but beer.

iklboo Wed 12-Aug-15 17:36:37

Women immediately going into end stage labour with waters spectacularly breaking - with no early signs whatsoever.

ZingDramaQueenOfSheeba Wed 12-Aug-15 18:23:11

oh how about being tied up, gun to his head, his children's lives threatened unless he speaks and what comes out of his mouth, but:
"if you touch my children I kill you!"

really? REALLY?!
angry

RolyPolierThanThou Wed 12-Aug-15 18:23:48

Animals always make their animal noise the moment they appear on screen.

Computer geeks never use a mouse, its all clickety clack on a keyboard, even if its photoshop or image software they're using.

FuturePerfect Wed 12-Aug-15 18:27:54

Young, attractive woman inexplicably fancies leathery, miserable old man (Lost in Translation, anything by Woody Allen etc)

Cacofonix Wed 12-Aug-15 18:32:06

No one actually says goodbye at the end of a phone call. They just hang up. Bloody rude!

Cacofonix Wed 12-Aug-15 18:33:10

Oh oh and the one when it is an action film and the lead male and female have a quiet moment and end up having a smoochy kiss. FFS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now