Talk

Advanced search

Guiders Staff Room Part 3

(440 Posts)
Groovee Tue 08-Nov-16 17:51:40

Reconvening over here ladies.

Groovee Fri 11-Nov-16 13:32:33

Need to buy a box for our games night. Keep finding our cupboard unlocked at the hall.

SquirrelWatcher Sun 13-Nov-16 13:27:08

Toadstool corks look great, might have to use that idea!

Eek, no to the "borrowing" of money!

Groovee Sun 13-Nov-16 15:42:48

Thanks Squirrel. We also did Snowmen too which are effective too.

RueDeWakening Sun 13-Nov-16 18:37:48

Yes. Am steering well clear till that's all sorted!

My AL was up at the Albert Hall volunteering for the festival of remembrance yesterday, I hope she managed to figure out what was happening - last I heard, she'd had 5 different emails, all completely contradicting the last one grin

Groovee Sun 13-Nov-16 19:35:27

Oh cripes.

Trying to see what interest would be in a sleepover. Numerous mums have asked if they can come as a helper as their daughter has never stayed away from home. Have replied saying no to all of them. If it drops my numbers it is better than struggling to bite my tongue.

drspouse Sun 13-Nov-16 19:58:58

What section are you Groovee?

Groovee Sun 13-Nov-16 20:02:05

Brownies. I'm not organising a mum and daughter one!

drspouse Sun 13-Nov-16 20:22:02

No, maybe for Rainbows!

RueDeWakening Sun 13-Nov-16 20:42:13

We're taking a parent on Brownie holiday in March. Hopefully it'll work out OK - her oldest girl is best friends with my DD and I've known her since they started school together - hopefully the two girls will roll their eyes at embarrassing mothers and pretend they don't know us all weekend grin

It's definitely not the preferred option though, I wouldn't be letting parents stay unless you need ONE for ratios!

Groovee Sun 13-Nov-16 20:50:21

We're fortunate to have 5 PVG'ed leaders and only 3 of us can go judging by the numbers who have said yes. As it's an organised one, going down the road of taking parents is not one I want to go down.

soontobemrsmckeown Mon 14-Nov-16 20:46:47

Hiya all. I'm starting my training for leadership on Thursday. How long does it take to complete the course- what's the quickest it can be completed?

RueDeWakening Mon 14-Nov-16 22:00:16

Welcome smile Following info is on the assumption that the ALQ hasn't changed massively in the last 2 years...take it with a pinch of salt grin

It's not a "course" in the way you might be expecting - it's a list of clauses, in 4 separate modules, to complete. You can do them in your own time but 6-12 months is pretty standard I took 3 years

Most of the stuff in there you will cover by regularly attending unit meetings, and taking an active part in running meetings. Planning, coming up with ideas, runnings games etc. Actual "courses" I think are only safe spaces, first aid, and sectional training (which I don't think is compulsory but is v helpful!).

Module 4 is about running accounts for a unit, you don't have to complete that one if you're not intending to run a unit yourself. Best to get it out of the way though if possible.

soontobemrsmckeown Mon 14-Nov-16 22:48:43

The leader of the group I'm at is not sure what the future holds for the group so I'd like to get it completed asap so I can continue the group if she cannot. Is it possible to complete in 4.5 months if I work full time too?

InflagranteDelicto Mon 14-Nov-16 23:13:48

Welcome, soon. The LQ isn't difficult, there's two or three courses that are needed, but the rest can be covered easily. I was in a similar situation, and did it in 3 months.

Groovee Tue 15-Nov-16 06:57:16

My Tawny Owl did her LQ in 6 months. My new leaders hopes to do it in about 6-9 months.

RueDeWakening Tue 15-Nov-16 11:59:09

You can run a unit without your LQ, so long as you have DC approval. I did, that's why it took me so damn long to get my shit together and hand everything in!

RiaOverTheRainbow Tue 15-Nov-16 19:23:39

Just seen a tutorial for a funky fleece scarf. Probably have to do the cutting out in advance for my Rainbows but Brownies and Guides could do the whole thing themselves.

harderandharder2breathe Wed 16-Nov-16 15:26:25

New leaders have to do Safe Space training (already qualified leaders can do it online but new ones have to attend) so it depends how often training is locally.

I took 3 years but only because i didn't get round to the paperwork for it

Groovee Wed 16-Nov-16 16:12:28

Someone said the online safe space had been removed.

Deadlines! 4 days post dealing, parent emails saying her daughter is looking forward to the even! Booking form went on Monday angry

Groovee Thu 17-Nov-16 07:27:32

Nice night doing games. Next week is the world culture badge.

drspouse Thu 17-Nov-16 09:51:33

We are doing these next time - it's a big packet so sharing with the Brownies and the Rainbows (none of the units are huge). We're crossing our fingers the Rainbows will cope with lots of help!

RiaOverTheRainbow Thu 17-Nov-16 19:11:57

Wow!

soontobemrsmckeown Thu 17-Nov-16 19:36:45

Rainbow promise activity, I've been looking on line as we have decided to do our promise party at our Christmas party so we need to do a promise activity with the 10 new girls. What's the best sort to do? I was thinking a game liked what time is it mr Wolf but I promise to keep my room tidy, I promise to eat a rainbow and then after talk about promises that can be kept and ones that cannot be. Does that sound OK?

RueDeWakening Thu 17-Nov-16 23:45:53

Sounds good to me.

I have a few regular promise related activities depending on how many new girls I have at the time. One is 2 sets of laminated promise words/phrases that they have to collect and rearrange into the right order - do it in a relay as a race, or just use one set and have the Rainbows hold them up while one or two older one(s) has to rearrange them into the right order without speaking. Another is a set of balloons with bits of the promise written on, again they have to collect the balloons in a relay, but then blow them up (at least enough to read the words on them) then put the balloons in the right order.

Are you on Facebook? If so, there's a Rainbow Leaders group on there which is really useful and frequently has promise activity ideas posted, PM me if you need the link.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now