Talk

Advanced search

Am I being incompetent? Swimming cap hysteria

(25 Posts)
Firepile Thu 20-Oct-11 20:40:46

Every time I take DS to his swimming lesson I have flashbacks to the pain of getting a swimming cap on when I was little. DS is 5, and I make him cry every single week trying to get the bloody thing on and straight.

Surely there must be a no-tears technique? I feel like I am torturing him as things stand, and remember how much I hated it when I was his age. Any advice very welcome.

Pinner35 Thu 20-Oct-11 20:48:57

My DD has a fabric swimming cap as she has long hair and trying to get one of those rubbery ones on was a nightmare. Its not totally waterproof but keeps hair off the face and its easy to put on without any hair snagging.

Try these

Firepile Thu 20-Oct-11 20:56:20

OOOH Pinner they look soft and smooth and lovely. But I forgot to add that the swimming caps are standard issue latex ones, colour coded and badged to the class they're in. So ideally I need a foolproof technique for a bogstandard one. Or I could try and get a white Zoggs one and superglue the latex seahorse from the existing hat onto it. (DIY disaster potential).

CroissantNeuf Thu 20-Oct-11 21:01:50

They have the colour coded latex type ones at DSs lessons.

The funniest way of putting them on is a method I saw a swimming teacher use once and thats to turn the hat inside out, fill with water and then drop from a height over the childs head. Believe it or not, it works ! grin

On a more practical level I tend to put the hat over DS's forehead, get him to brace himself and then (in one very quick, smooth action) pull the hat over the back of his head. Its a bit trial and error but the secret is to make sure the child is ready for the quick movement otherwise they'll fall over !

Firepile Thu 20-Oct-11 21:06:11

Not convinced that DS would go a bundle on the water torture, but it may yet come to that. Thanks!

Btw, am liking your name, CN. But it begs a question: Croissantneuf: annee calorifique? (Sorry, couldn't resist the Gainsbourg reference)

belindarose Thu 20-Oct-11 21:07:09

Hold hat with open bit upwards. Dc holds the edge ('rim'?) nearest them and pulls. You pull your end and pop over the head. If you can make sense of that explanation, it works (primary teacher taking 30 kids swimming in a previous life!)

Haagendazs Thu 20-Oct-11 21:10:58

Croissant grin
Put a small sprinkle of talc inside the hat.. It really helps.

Bunbaker Thu 20-Oct-11 21:14:09

No-one wears swimming hats at our local pool, especially not boys. I thought swimming hats were only worn back in the 1960s when I were a lass.

CroissantNeuf Thu 20-Oct-11 21:19:26

Heres the dropping a full cap of water on the head method I mentioned

It works I tell you!

Firepile Fri 21-Oct-11 00:58:31

Thanks very much everyone. DS very excited about the internetwomen coming to our aid! Will report back if he's up for some practise tomorrow. Am finding the youtube tutorials strangely compelling as well.

Sleepwhenidie Fri 21-Oct-11 08:08:48

I too get DS to use his fingers (imagine impersonating bunny ears but in the middle of forehead) to go inside the cap while I stretch it back over his head. Unless he has his fingers too low (in which case the cap end up over his eyebrows hmm this works pretty well grin

TheLittlestNarwhal Fri 21-Oct-11 08:14:42

Talc inside the hat while it is still dry works a treat - but don't use too much or dc's look like they have really bad dandruff when the hat comes off! grin

fivegomadindorset Fri 21-Oct-11 08:19:26

And it is at the point and painful recollections of school that I thank the powers that be at DC's swimming pool who don't see th epoint of swimming caps.

brighthair Fri 21-Oct-11 09:23:30

Talc. I used to find back to front easier - pulling it on from the back of the head

Ephiny Fri 21-Oct-11 21:01:50

Yes talc should help. I remember my mum using this trick when I was young!

I have a fabric one myself to avoid this problem. I wouldn't bother at all if I had short hair though, the only reason I wear it is because otherwise when I come up for air doing front crawl, I get a mouthful of wet hair instead...

flowermonkey Wed 26-Oct-11 19:26:30

I've got a Nike swimming hat. It's thick and really stretchy - not like those horrid swimming caps when I was a kid...

Put both hands inside cap (thumbs outside) and stretch it. Then place it over his head and release.

Isn't this what everyone does?!

DamselInDisarray Wed 26-Oct-11 19:32:47

DS1 (11) puts his swimming cap on himself. He always has loads of hair hanging out the bottom and looks vaguely ridiculous. I just leave him to it. I dont care if his hair gets wet. The younger kids have all started copying him. They obviously think it's a good look.

sevenoften Thu 27-Oct-11 08:20:02

Get child to hold it in place against forehead. Then count to 3 (so they know when to brace) and you pull it back and over - but really wide, so that it doesn't really touch their head until you let it back in towards the head.

bluedomino Fri 11-Nov-11 22:31:52

Do you wet his hair first? Soak hair first, (also good because once your hair is wet it doesn't absorb any chloriney stuff) and then get him to hold it down nearly on his eyebrows while you stretch it back. Your could also try a bit of conditioner on his hair to make it slide on easier but his had may ride up a bit.

Another tip for if his googles steam up is to use a tiny bit of liquid soap on toilet paper and wipe on inside of googles, then polish off with a clean bit of toilet paper and they won't steam up.

Hope that helps.

gabygawel Thu 20-Apr-17 10:55:34

Any advise on best swimming cap for 9 year old with long hair please

StrangeAndUnusual Thu 20-Apr-17 11:00:53

I leave my boys to sort out their latex hats themselves (and have done since their first swimming lesson!) No idea how they put them on, but I will ask tonight.

TheBitterBoy Thu 20-Apr-17 11:06:06

Talc definitely - DS hat goes on very easily since I discovered this. As previous posters have said, get him to help by putting his fingers in the front by his forehead. You diont need a lot of talc, just a shake into the hat , rub it around and tip out the excess. I am still using the talc I was given when DS was born and he is 9 now!

ragged Thu 20-Apr-17 20:52:24

they have designated colour caps in DC lessons, but they can wear any colour they like (& do). Plus you can buy fabric caps in most colours. Fabric is wildly easier.

TanteJeanne Thu 20-Apr-17 22:44:10

Speedo do caps especially for long hair- bigger with a slightly different shape . £7ish.

Urglewurgle Thu 20-Apr-17 22:55:42

Definitely talc them.

And the full cap of water and dropping it on their head works, but is hard to get straight plus it kind of defeats the whole 'keeping the hair dry' thing.

Pp have recommended having the kid hold the front on their forehead then you stretch back and over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now