Talk

Advanced search

The NI border issue can never be resolved can it?

(459 Posts)
Bearbehind Sun 14-Jul-19 20:39:23

We would have left by now if is wasn’t for the border issue in NI and I genuinely can’t see a positive outcome.

If, 20 years after the GFA, peace is still so fragile a border is incompressible and any other option basically breaks up the union - how can it ever end well?

Clavinova Thu 25-Jul-19 20:27:32

prettybird
I don't think you realised that EU Regional Development Funds etc. were our contributions sent back to us.

Outsomnia
I really fear for NI/ROI if there is any semblance of a border put in place now.

"9 July 2019 The Irish government has again said it will have no new checks at or near the border if there is a no-deal Brexit."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-48929182

jasjas1973 Thu 25-Jul-19 20:32:36

You've not read your own link have you?

Outsomnia Thu 25-Jul-19 20:36:23

Clavinova,

It is all about perception and upholding the GFA, but the many Brexiteers don't even realise that NI is actually part of the Union, and they don't care either.

Any comment on the DUP stance in all this, when they know that many of their voters are successful farmers all exporting to ROI, milk products especially. They don't care. Because I suspect those most affected are afraid to speak out now. Such is the tinderbox in NI.

The DUP are despicable.

But it might just result in a border poll resulting in a UI. ROI cannot afford to take on NI that is largely funded by Westminster though, not many independent or indigenous industry up there apart from a humungous Civil and Public Sector. And maybe a bit of tourism.

It is very shameful of a country like UK to throw ROI under a bus like this, but I am not surprised.

prettybird Thu 25-Jul-19 20:50:31

Of course I do, we're a net contributor and I've never denied that confused: but it's not the UK's fund and the net contribution is no longer the "UK's money" confused.

Since you like links so much, here's are two for you

eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=LEGISSUM:2602_3

..and how to apply

ec.europa.eu/regional_policy/en/funding/accessing-funds/#2

But given how obtuse you're being, that's the last time I'll engage with you. I have better things to be doing.

Isthisafreename Thu 25-Jul-19 20:57:01

Any comment on the DUP stance in all this, when they know that many of their voters are successful farmers all exporting to ROI, milk products especially.

This us a very simplistic view of what happens. The dairy industry is effectively all-Ireland. For example, raw milk goes south to be processed. Cream from that milk goes north to be used to make baileys. Farms straddle the border, with farmers going back and forth multiple times a day.

Clavinova Thu 25-Jul-19 20:58:49

jasjas1973
You've not read your own link have you?

Yes, I did - which is why I only referred to checks at the border - I might have misunderstood Outsomnia though - I thought her comment 'any semblance of a border' was referring to possible violence at checkpoints.

Mistigri Thu 25-Jul-19 21:02:09

Farms straddle the border, with farmers going back and forth multiple times a day.

Not just farmers. As you say, milk processing is done on an all-island basis, with milk potentially crossing the border several times during the production process. Any Brexit that takes Ireland out of the customs union and single market will disrupt that business model.

Mistigri Thu 25-Jul-19 21:02:33

Northern Ireland that should say.

Clavinova Thu 25-Jul-19 21:09:03

prettybird
But given how obtuse you're being, that's the last time I'll engage with you.I have better things to be doing.

Yes, I see, you've already posted this on the previous page;

^"if you can't understand the point I was making about variable costs, then I really can't be bothered explaining them to you."

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »