Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What kind of marks do you need to pass the 11+

(103 Posts)
gigglinggoblin Sat 23-May-09 11:44:19

I know it probably varies year to year but is there a rough percentage they must get to pass? Am trying to get ds interested and he would feel better if he knew he was doing well but all google comes up with is a load of companies trying to sell practice papers

smartiejake Sat 23-May-09 13:24:51

I think my DDs tutor told me that at least 80% is needed in verbal reasoning to be in with a chance of getting in to grammar schools round here. But it's not really done on a pass fail system- children are ranked by their test scores and the top 120 get the places. Not sure if age comes into it- hope not as my dd is one of the oldest in the year!

ICANDOTHAT Sat 23-May-09 13:25:00

Totally depends on the school you sitting for. My son sat for 3 schools and each asked for a different pass mark .... one was 50%, one wanted 75% and the hardest was 80%. These pass marks will greatly affecting by the calibre of children sitting that particular exam ie: if they have a bright bunch and most are getting above 90%, then the guys reaching 80% may not get in iyswim. A lot may also depend on an interview if that is part of their admission policy.

If he is in a private school now, they should be able to indicate a rough pass mark for the schools he would sit for. Good luck smile

ICANDOTHAT Sat 23-May-09 13:25:46

Age is taken into consideration ie: Summer borns are given a bit of slack on their marks

Quattrocento Sat 23-May-09 13:32:08

I understand your frustration - same happened here. DD passed an entry exam to a state grammar (about 300 of the 1000+ children who sat the 11+ passed it) so there was an absolute passmark. But then only 120 got offered places. So it varies from school to school and ability of entrants.

My understanding from DDs school is that they needed roughly 85% on the maths and 90% on the verbal reasoning.

MrsBartlet Sat 23-May-09 13:54:17

As others have said it really depends where you are. Here in Essex, there is no pass mark. It is done purely on ranking with top 120 getting into a school. There is a sort of hierarchy of grammars in this area and so you need a higher ranking to get into the top ones. Also in Essex there is no standardising for age but I believe other areas do this. My dd's school say that they don't take age into account as there is no age standardisation in public exams.

gigglinggoblin Sat 23-May-09 15:21:38

Not in private school, I wonder if the grammar would tell us? Would it be really awful if I asked?

I have told him that 80% is pretty good and he is really pleased with himself, it has def helped his confidence so we have a more clear aim now. He is in the middle for age so I guess thats not a big factor for him. Lets just hope there arent too many brainboxes his age lol

Quattrocento Sat 23-May-09 15:24:28

Oh btw there is an 11+ website with people who are keen on getting their DCs into grammar schools. I'll find it. They'll be able to tell you roughly the marks needed for your grammar and help on tutoring if you want it (seems nonsensical to me but LOADS of parents do it)

seeker Sat 23-May-09 15:26:05

gigglinggoblin - I know LOADS about this - have been through it once and will again in a couple of years. Could you tell me what county you live in - and I'll tell you what I can!

seeker Sat 23-May-09 15:27:13

The 80% is a bit of a myth unless you are trying for one of the super selectives.

Quattrocento Sat 23-May-09 15:28:29

here it is

MrsBartlet Sat 23-May-09 15:30:35

I would ask the school - there is no reason why they shouldn't tell you. In this area it is a consortium which organises the 11+ for all the grammars and they are always very helpful at answering any questions. You may have something similar in your area.

QOD Sat 23-May-09 15:32:50

In Kent, they have to score over 360 standardised points, but who the heck knows what it all really means LOL

seeker Sat 23-May-09 15:57:36

You do need to be very careful with the 11+ site. There's lots of good stuff there, and some really good free downloads and information, but the parents tend to be a bit scarily obsessive and their children all seem to be scarily bright!

stuffitlllama Sat 23-May-09 15:59:45

I was told once that most children would get over 90 and all the children that were accepted were 97pc plus

that was a London grammar, I was told that by the school

I don't know about any other schools

Joggler Sat 23-May-09 16:04:02

75 here.

"tutoring" normally means practising past papers.

silk purse sows ear etc

Quattrocento Sat 23-May-09 17:21:35

Apparently something like 60% of prospective grammar school parents hire (yes hire!!!) tutors to get their DCs through the 11+. Some pay thousands.

I was of the silk-purse-sows-ear school of thought. Also even if you can turn them into something approximating a purse - what would be the point? Surely if they are going to struggle to get in, surely they might struggle to keep up? Or doesn't it work like that?

smartiejake Sat 23-May-09 17:42:14

Problem is that in the grammar schools around here, 2/3 of the schools are populated by kids who have been to a private prep school where they do verbal reasoning from a very young age and 11+work is covered as part of their curriculum. So many children from state schools do go for private tutoring so they have the same advantage as the privately schooled kids.

DD1 was never interested in going to a grammar school and I knew she wouldn't cope. DD2wanted to try (totally not my idea)and was assessed as being a likely candidate for the 11+ by her Kip Mcgrath tutor and unless I thought she had a chance of passing and keeping up with the rigours of grammar school then I wouldn't be bothering with the tutoring.

stillenacht Sat 23-May-09 18:03:20

I teach in a GS - about 70% of our intake are tutored (and yes parents pay thousands) and another 15% or so i reckon come from independent prep schools - the figure of those who just do a few practice papers with mum and dad is about 15%...its full on 11plus warfare out there!

stillenacht Sat 23-May-09 18:05:26

..and my DS is in year 5 and will not be sitting the test...unless by some sheer fluke he manages to get all the multiple choice questions right its just not gonna happen....

Also seeker you are spot on that 11plus forum is soooooooo unbelievably scary and the parents are beyond belief.

Joggler Sat 23-May-09 18:09:33

No
you cant do the test if you are really dumb - it is hard and its unlike anything you do at primary school.
Its just practising.

Joggler Sat 23-May-09 18:10:13

REALLY clever kids walk it - no practice reqd, but some need it.

holdingittogether Sat 23-May-09 18:20:14

Our local grammar has a set pass mark but not sure what it is. If your child reaches that mark then you are then subject to very strict selection criteria. At our school they look for having been baptised and being a regular church goer, having a relative already at the school, living close to school things like that. I think children in the care of social services get priority as well. We would really like to try and get in but feel even if he gets great marks in the test he may loose out due to the other selection criteria so are looking into alternative schools too.

MrsBartlet Sat 23-May-09 18:27:50

Something like 50% of the girls at dd's grammar come from private schools and, like smartiejake said, they are coached for the 11+ as part of their curriculum. Dd went to a state school which is why we had her tutored - to level the playing field somewhat. We wouldn't have tutored her if we didn't know she was bright enough to cope with life at a grammar school.

Quattrocento Sat 23-May-09 18:59:54

My DCs attend a private school and they are not tutored for the 11+. I'm sure there are some independent schools that do tutor for the 11+ but it's quite rare, I think. Which leads me to question whether some parents get tutors because they imagine that their DC's might be disadvantaged?

Honestly people worry too much. All you have to do is walk them through a couple of practice papers. This gives them the hang of the type of question and answering questions in the given times. You can buy a pack of 4 or something for less than £10. Bob's yer proverbial uncle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now