Advanced search

Looking for the most comfortable ladies bike in the world

(49 Posts)
katymac Thu 09-Mar-17 10:56:27

Or at least the best I can afford grin

My undercarriage is delicate!! & I need good suspension as I have bad joints

What should I buy? Where should I look?

FlaviaAlbia Thu 09-Mar-17 10:59:43

That's one of those how long is a bit of string questions grin everyone's bum is different and what's really comfortable for one won't be comfortable for another.

What kind of cycling do you want to do?

katymac Thu 09-Mar-17 11:10:16

We are going on a motorhome holiday (for 4 months) & need transport to pop & get a pint of milk or ride to the station if the parking is unsuitable for the van

Maybe a bit of leisure cycling (but tbh that is more DH's thing) we were considering a moped between us but because of liceses that isn't suitable

My brother has told me I can't afford an eletric bike as they cost way more than the moped would have!!

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Thu 09-Mar-17 11:12:35

I have this one: www.evanscycles.com/ridgeback-avenida-3-2017-womens-hybrid-bike-EV289240?esvt=52836-GOUKE2175356&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-1146738-1&esvcrea=166226882593&esvplace=&esvd=m&esvtg=pla-286055356065&esvo=EV289240-17-BLK&esvaid=50080&gclid=COSz_YSlydICFdU_GwodjN8FaA

I love it.

leonardthelemming Thu 09-Mar-17 11:13:32

I suggest you don't get one with a gel saddle! A Brooks leather saddle takes a bit of getting used to but it actually moulds to fit you. They do different versions for different riding styles too - and specific ladies' versions of course. This is what my wife uses:
www.brooksengland.com/en_uk/saddles/leather/b17-s-imperial-3.html
You could also fit a suspension seatpost, although the better ones are not cheap ~ £150 just for the seatpost. (I know - you could just about get a whole bike for that!)
www.sjscycles.co.uk/seat-posts/cane-creek-thudbuster-st-anodised-suspension-seat-post-shorter-linkage-design-254-mm-black/?geoc=US
You might get it cheaper if you shop around.

leonardthelemming Thu 09-Mar-17 11:16:13

Just read your update. Perhaps my suggestion is a bit OTT if you only plan short trips. On the other hand, if you were comfortable then you might feel more inclined to do longer trips...

FlaviaAlbia Thu 09-Mar-17 11:24:12

That sounds amazing! envy I'm jealous grin

My first adult bike was a ridgeback avenida too, I upgraded it with a brooks saddle and I love it. It has some suspension built into the seat post and it was the only one I could ride when pregnant as I could step though the frame.

It takes a while to break in a brooks saddle though, so padded shorts would help until its been on a while. I think I've got the B17-s too.

It sounds pretty good for what you need. Of course, depending where you're going, you could always buy a bike there as Holland is amazing for bikes...

FlaviaAlbia Thu 09-Mar-17 11:25:55

Oh, meant to say, mine is still going strong after about 11 years of use and it has hub gears so it's easy to maintain.

katymac Thu 09-Mar-17 11:33:17

The seat suspension looks good - I will add it to my wish list

The seat looks, umm, challenging still!

FlaviaAlbia Thu 09-Mar-17 12:09:44

It sounds mad, but a flat hard looking saddle can be much comfier than a padded gel one. It sort of moulds to you and the sit points in your bum are bone anyway.

Do you have any bike shops near you where you could go and try some out? Avoid Halford's if you can, a good independent bike shop or something like Evans will be better. Halford's will sell you anything regardless of how well it's fitted or what it's for..

katymac Thu 09-Mar-17 12:19:59

I'm travelling in this counrty - up the East coast accross Scotland & down the west - so no dutch bikes for me

I have found our local Evans & my brother builds bikes.....but in Sweden!! So not much use atm
DH also wants to upgrade his bike- but that is way more complicated!!

I will try different saddles - but I am having an op on 29th so may be limited for a while

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 09-Mar-17 12:25:06

Having to carry it on a motorhome is an issue, but for comfort what you need is a recumbent trike! grin

katymac Thu 09-Mar-17 12:46:20

Umm, I'll think about that.....round here they are good for being flattened (high hedges/steep curves)- so scary (& that is just as a driver!)

grannycake Thu 09-Mar-17 12:55:39

I have several bikes - different ones for long distances, etc. But the one I use for the sort of riding you talk about is my Genesis. No lycra, no padded shorts, can fit panniers. Used it loads on hol in Annecy last year. Link below

www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/urban/bridge/columbia-road/columbia-rd

I also second the brooks saddle. I love it

grannycake Thu 09-Mar-17 12:57:41

PS Also have the motorhome

katymac Thu 09-Mar-17 13:22:19

Ok - I'll look at the saddle...I promise wink

I think a trip to Evans approaches....

leonardthelemming Thu 09-Mar-17 16:05:07

PS Also have the motorhome

We have the canal boat. And two Jango Flik folding bikes which we can keep inside it. These bikes are no longer made, unfortunately - we got ours at "Clearance" (about 60% off list price) and although we bought them specifically to go on the boat - before we actually bought the boat - for some reason we ended up cycling from Land's End to John o' Groats on them...

byjango.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/a-detour-via-whitby/

BikeRunSki Thu 09-Mar-17 16:14:38

Well fitting saddles are about the spacing of your sit bones, rather than the size of your bottom. Specialized Concept Stores and the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-Op (branches nationwide) do a saddle-fit service.

But I hate to say it.... the best way to make a saddle comfortable is to ride on it for a few hundred miles. Many cyclists keep their saddles for years, and move them onto new bikes as they upgrade.

katymac Thu 09-Mar-17 16:20:01

Oh Wow! I started reading & will continue...Lemmings!!

We are taking our cat (I hope the campsites will take us & not shove us with the dogs.....I have a bit of an issue with dogs!!)

I'm getting excited now I have picked my motor home

katymac Thu 09-Mar-17 16:22:18

Oh dear bikeskirun - that doesn't sound hopeful sad

katymac Thu 09-Mar-17 16:42:33

this looks mad!

<<as does this one

leonardthelemming Thu 09-Mar-17 16:44:29

Oh Wow! I started reading & will continue...Lemmings!!

Not sure if it's obvious, but if you click on the photos you can get the full-size versions.

FlaviaAlbia Thu 09-Mar-17 17:30:56

It would definitely be worth checking out padded shorts, women's specific ones. Most of them you can get away with wearing under normal clothes and they will help delicate bits.

katymac Thu 09-Mar-17 17:35:21

Thanks - that helps - it's great (so far everything is referenced my dessert!!)

katymac Thu 09-Mar-17 17:50:55

I think they might make things worse I get recurrent thrush & cystitis so I avoid tight anythings!! grin

I am considering a clip on my right pedal as my left hp can be unreliable

The more I think about it the more I am convinced my brother is wrong about the electric bike

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now