Talk

Advanced search

Contractions every 7-10 min lasting 1 min

(60 Posts)
heathery Mon 03-Oct-16 21:04:09

Been having them since 6am this morning at this rate and length.

They're getting extremely painful to the point I can't speak or move during them.

Called hospital and they said I need to wait until they're closer and to rest. I can't rest as the pain has me in agony every 10mins or less!

I've had paracetamol and baths but pain is just ramping up more and more :-(

Any tips? I'm feeling exhausted and sounds like I'm not even in 'proper' labour yet.

FATEdestiny Mon 03-Oct-16 21:10:42

I'd recommend going to bed.

Yes, you'll probably have a disturbed night but at least you'll get some rest. Your contractions might slow overnight and you might get some better rest.

Very long first labours are really common. Mine was 56 hours from them being 10 minutes apart. Some subsequent labours are long too. My second, third and fourth labours were all over 20 hours. Id learnt by then to not get myself too excited when things start - knowing the birth would be days away.

heathery Mon 03-Oct-16 21:12:24

I'd really love to try and sleep but I'm writhing in pain every 7-10mins! So not sure how much rest I'll get.

I'm trying to rest on the sofa but the pain is just getting worse and worse with every contraction

Bagina Mon 03-Oct-16 21:13:49

You need to loan a TENS machine but I think tescos pharmacies will be closed now?? What about Boots? If you were on the ward they'd say baths and walking. My labour was the same. Nothing could be done until my waters went. A bath made them pop. You could always go in???

BananaPie Mon 03-Oct-16 21:17:09

I'd recommend going to hospital and having them check you. My contractions were 7-10 mins apart when I was 7cm dilated.

Flisspaps Mon 03-Oct-16 21:19:56

Mine were 6 minutes apart at 6cm (2-3 minutes long though, hell!)

The 'standard' pattern isn't the same for all women

heathery Mon 03-Oct-16 21:20:07

My hospital is 45mins away so don't want to risk travelling in to be sent home. They told me on phone not to come in yet. Don't know if I could stomach the long car ride there and back with these pains!

I'm so frustrated as they've not got any closer all day but pain is getting worse and hospital doesn't seem interested until they get closer, but what if they don't?

Bagina Mon 03-Oct-16 21:20:23

Yes, I'd go in. Let them check. If you're not ready they'll send you home, but at least you'll know.

PurpleThursday Mon 03-Oct-16 21:23:39

I would go in. Waters breaking isn't a sign for anyone - mine never did with both my children. It's true first labours can be longer but it's also true that everyone is different. I think you need to go in and find out how dilated you are to get some idea. Especially as you are quite far away. I think it is irresponsible of them to tell you not to go in . Maybe call again and speak to someone different and explain how painful it is getting? Each midwife has different ideas too. Best of luck. It is bloody painful but oh so worth it! I am excited for you!! hmmflowers

Bagina Mon 03-Oct-16 21:24:33

That's a long way. Well, they're only going to get more painful, so you're going to have to make the journey at some point anyway. If you can't manage at home you'll have to go in. I really feel for you. Mine were horrendous. Order your epidural now!!!

FATEdestiny Mon 03-Oct-16 21:27:47

You could practice your breathing exercises through these early contractions.

If you have enegy, go for a late night walk with your partner. If not, try to relax. It will hurt. It does hurt. Relaxing helps the pain.

Also - don't forget to eat. You will need the energy.

Afreshstartplease Mon 03-Oct-16 21:29:04

I'd go in op you sound like you need to

YoullNeverWeeAlone Mon 03-Oct-16 21:34:42

With my first I was waiting for contractions to get closer together / longer. Like you was told bath, paracetamol, bed & see you tomorrow by midwives.

An hour later couldn't talk through contractions and went in. Dc1 arrived 40 mins later.

Don't wait for the classic checklist, I never had 2 minute contractions, no show, waters went 5 mins before baby arrived. If you can't talk at all in contractions, call back and say you want to be seen.

If not, I found rocking on all fours was much less painful than lying / sitting on sofa.

Good luck x

BananaPie Mon 03-Oct-16 21:43:45

Go in! I phoned when they were 7-10 mins apart and painful and was basically told that I was unlikely to be in established labour but that I could come if I insisted. When I got there they were pretty sceptical of me (contractions had got even further apart on the way there). But I was 7cm when they examined me, and therefore allowed to stay. In fact they were really surprised when I asked whether that meant I could stay. Not everyone follows the same pattern. Good luck!

mineofuselessinformation Mon 03-Oct-16 21:48:57

Another one here saying if you're finding them painful, and you don't feel you can face the journey, go now.
It's a sign you're moving on, or otherwise need some help with the pain. Go now. Good luck!

heathery Mon 03-Oct-16 21:50:07

Thanks all. The pain is getting very bad now so hoping it's real labour and not prelabour. Maybe I'm just a big wuss!

I'm going to call the birth centre soon (I had called the delivery ward before, who told me I should have called birth centre!! I just had the no down as 'maternity assessment line' so didn't realise)

Hopefully they may be a bit more helpful. DH is reluctant to take me in unless they say so as he's been so drilled in to the 'every 3/5min' rule from antenatal and nct classes...

Similarly though I don't want to get there for this to all be nothing and have to come all the way home again! Wish I didn't live so far from the hospital :-(

NapQueen Mon 03-Oct-16 21:51:57

Go in. Even if they say "go home" you could always just pace around there or try and get some food from the cafe. 45mins drive in early labour would be bad. Full blown labour? Hideous!

Bagina Mon 03-Oct-16 21:53:49

It all an unknown though. If you're struggling with the pain then get in the car and go. Dh doesn't get to have an opinion!!!

Afreshstartplease Mon 03-Oct-16 22:35:28

Good luck op

Ilovewillow Mon 03-Oct-16 22:44:13

I'd go and let them check. My contractions with my second didn't get closer than every 5 mins even when pushing. Good luck

LillianFullStop Tue 04-Oct-16 00:28:25

I would go in OP - follow your instincts! That 45min drive is going to be a nightmare as it is!

Bagina Tue 04-Oct-16 06:31:31

How are you?? Wishing you all the best!!

ninenicknames Tue 04-Oct-16 06:46:08

How are you? Still going ......?

flowers

amysmummy12345 Tue 04-Oct-16 06:49:29

Mine were every five minutes, next thing you know I had dd in the car at the side of the road 😌

heathery Tue 04-Oct-16 07:13:08

Still every 7-10 and horrendously painful. Been holding on all night to see if they become closer.

Now having pain in between contractions too so no respite

Going to call hospital again in a minute

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now