Talk

Advanced search

speedos & eurocamping in france

(32 Posts)
shouldactmyage Mon 02-Aug-10 10:28:12

somebody please tell me dh is being wound up - he's been told he can't wear bathers in the pool at l'atlantique in brittany - and that he has to wear speedos. believe me, the world is not ready for 16st of dh in lycra.....

suwoo Mon 02-Aug-10 10:48:19

It said that on the website for the camp we went to. There wasn't a soul in them, everyone was in shorts.

BrigitBigKnickers Mon 02-Aug-10 11:02:38

This is a common rule in France. Not sure if all pools are so strict but I know of at least 2 people who have been refused entry into the pool at Keycamps for not wearing the correct swimwear.

I think they can be close fitting shorts though.

IloveJudgeJudy Mon 02-Aug-10 17:12:26

That is definitely a very tightly regulated rule on a lot of French campsites. When we camped in Le Vieux Port in Messanges the lifeguards would not allow people in the pool complex even if they were not wearing speedos. My DS (15) who is very slim and tall does not want to wear them either as he much prefers swim shorts, but he knows that he will not be allowed in the pool without them. He, like your DH, did not believe me until he spoke to the people at reception himself and saw the sign for the pool with a pair of shorts with a red cross through them.

Tell your DH not to worry, though. He certainly won't be the biggest there.

IloveJudgeJudy Mon 02-Aug-10 17:14:06

Just to add. Some places will allow close fitting shorts, but some absolutely insist on speedos that are cut like men's pants. They will not allow any bit of leg coverage.

They are very difficult to buy at the moment as all the shops are selling autumnwear. I did find some for my DH in M&S.

Evenstar Mon 02-Aug-10 17:50:59

We had this problem a few years back in France, my DH and DS1 and DS2 were able to wear shorts at 2 stopover campsites on the journey, but the one we had our main holiday at insisted on proper trunks. I too saw people refused entry. I found that M & S had them and was so glad that I had taken them in case after seeing the rule in the holiday brochure, even if they are not needed it will mean that your DH doesn't miss out on swimming if the rule is enforced.

BrigitBigKnickers Mon 02-Aug-10 18:55:32

Out of interest, why exactly do they have this rule. I can't think of a reason.

DontCallMeBaby Mon 02-Aug-10 19:18:30

I remember reading about it a while ago ... IIRC correctly it's to ensure that men don't go into the pool in normal shorts they've been wearing all day, which is a bit yuck. Rather draconian still.

shhhgobacktosleep Mon 02-Aug-10 20:30:47

Yep we found it strictly enforced whilst staying in France last year. Thankfully we had gone prepared. We were told by the owner of the site that it was to keep the pool clean preventing someone having previously worn the shorts on the beach etc then bringing all the sand and dross into the pool.

prawnsmum Mon 02-Aug-10 20:37:37

Sorry but it is true. Just back from a campsite in France and it was strictly enforced. Apparently its to keep the pools clean e.g not coming off the beach with sand in your shorts then jumping straight into the pool.

Lizzylou Mon 02-Aug-10 20:43:03

We have just come back from L'atlantique in Beg Meil (it's fab, am envy, would go back tomorrow) and DH wore swim shorts, as did most men tbh.
No problems, no signs or anything suggesting otherwise.
There were some lovely speedos on display though grin Bleurgh.

Have fun, it is lovely!

fluffles Mon 02-Aug-10 20:46:10

yup, common in french public pools in ski resorts too.

DH has a pair of square cut ones - like james bond grin

QOD Mon 02-Aug-10 20:52:10

my friends had this experience, strictly enforced. Nearly every English man was wearing very very expensive speedos from the shop down the road - matching ones! They entertained themselves by guessing the sizes! (friends dh medium - his friend extra large...)

SuzieHomemaker Mon 02-Aug-10 21:47:31

I remember when I used to be a lifeguard that one of the reasons was to stop people swimming in unlined shorts when all was not safely gathered in!

I think that the rule generally applies where the pool allows the public in as well rather than just people on site.

shouldactmyage Tue 03-Aug-10 18:15:27

we're off to beg on 14th what do i need to know?

Lizzylou Tue 03-Aug-10 18:38:28

Lucky you!

Hmm, firstly no speedos are necessary, no worries there grin

Book early/in advance if you have young DC for the Go-Karts/Pony rides (mine are 6 and 4).

Beg Meil itself is lovely, some nice restaurants and if you walk over the rocks, some lovely beaches that are very quiet.

Benodet is lovely, expensive to eat out there though.

Quimper is gorgeous, we stopped on the drive home and wished we'd spent more time there.

The beach near the campsite is gorgeous and we often stayed there until 7.30pm, it was still warm, though the sea is bloody cold. We found it best to go to the pool in the morning and the beach in the afternoon, though the slides are only on at 2pm, it is busy then though.

The camp shop is actually very well priced for most stuff, we went to Fouesnant (there is a "Dia" and lots of little shops in the town centre and a Carrefour just outside) for a bigger shop.

Umm, that is it I think.

We had a fab time, my DH is massively depressed now he's home and back at work and we've been deciding where we'll go next year, think we'll go to the Vendee, though I'd happily go back to Beg Meil to be honest.
Have a lovely holiday.

weepootle Tue 03-Aug-10 18:45:03

We've just come back from visiting 2 campsites in France where it was on
the rules board but was not enforced at all, neither was it enforced at the one we went to last year.

Sazisi Tue 03-Aug-10 22:27:33

We stayed at L'Atlantique before and DH wore baggy swimshorts with no problem.

I started a thread on this for the place we're going this year

shouldactmyage Thu 05-Aug-10 09:10:37

thanks for your help. what did you do about laundry?

amizzymummy Thu 05-Aug-10 15:12:33

We have just come back from Sequoia Parc in Marennes, the 'speedo' rule was very strictly enforced while we were there, however my OH have been pre warned and got some short type speedos from intersport before we went, much to our daughters disgust!!

mind you we have been camping for years and this was the first time we encountered this issue

Sazisi Thu 05-Aug-10 17:01:37

There's a little laundry room at L'atlantique. I think it was expensive but took big loads. It's quite near the bar, handily wink

Sazisi Thu 05-Aug-10 17:03:52

Amizzymummy, we are going to Sequoia Parc next week
Was it brilliant? (I've been looking forward to it since JAnuary )
Any local tips?

Lizzylou Thu 05-Aug-10 18:11:40

Yep, there is a laundry room, though we just took loads of clothes, which mostly went unworn, so didn't need to wash anything.
First time at a Keycamp/Eurocamp, we'll know for next time grin

BollockBrain Thu 05-Aug-10 18:14:45

enforced in the cote d'azur campsites.

we are used to it, but i have to snigger at dh on day 1 with the whiteness of the thighs

Iloveclimbinghills Thu 05-Aug-10 18:23:22

I have told my DH of this but he is refusing to believe me. We are staying at St Avit Loisirs in the Dordogne.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now