Talk

Advanced search

in thinking that the word 'chav' is an overused and lazy term to describe anything we feel is vulgar ?

(186 Posts)
MaryAnnSingleton Wed 16-Jul-08 12:19:43

it annoys me that it's applied so often on mumsnet

AuntieMaggie Wed 16-Jul-08 12:22:38

I agree totally

Also used to describe anything that doesn't meet up to some peoples standards (and who are they to judge anyway?!)

ranting Wed 16-Jul-08 12:22:56

Totally agree, it has the bizarre effect on me of actually wanting to go out and be a chav just to get up peoples' noses.
If only I actually knew what a chav was, I am a little bit unclear on that to be honest. I always think of it as the kind of term that replaced what my mother used to describe as 'common' and I also loathe that phrase too. Makes me cringe and think 'SNOB'.

yorkshirepudding Wed 16-Jul-08 12:23:41

Message withdrawn

southeastastra Wed 16-Jul-08 12:28:21

hate hate hate the word. it's offensive yet acceptable

MaryAnnSingleton Wed 16-Jul-08 12:28:35

'chav' does mean something - there was a thing on the radio this morning and I vaguely recollect it being possibly a Romany word - I think people have just taken it and are using it willy nilly regardless of it's original meaning - I'd rather people said 'common' if they meant it that way

ExterminAitch Wed 16-Jul-08 12:29:37

it's ghastly and ill-mannered. i hate it, and i think it says more about the user than the person being described, tbh.

FioFio Wed 16-Jul-08 12:30:45

Message withdrawn

ExterminAitch Wed 16-Jul-08 12:32:32

but at least if someone uses common they know they are setting themselves up as a right old snob. chav is so acceptable... hmm

MaryAnnSingleton Wed 16-Jul-08 12:32:41

OUP says this...
chav /tæv/ noun (BrE, slang) a young person, often without a high level of education, who follows a particular fashion: There are always loads of chavs hanging round the shopping centre. Chavs usually wear designer labels, and if they’re girls, very short skirts and stilettos. Chavs still see branded baseball caps as a status symbol and wear them at every opportunity.
adj. [only before noun]: The bus was full of chav kids. chav girls with their big gold jewellery
In Britain there are many words to describe people from this social group, and they are often limited to a particular town or region. Other words with a similar meaning to chav are townie, scally, ned and charver. The word chav has become common in southern England, and is generally thought to come from Chatham girls (Chatham is a town in Kent.) Some people think, however, that the word comes originally from the Romany word chavo (boy), which is also the origin of the Spanish word chaval.

HermanMunster Wed 16-Jul-08 12:33:34

"Makes me cringe and think 'SNOB'"

surely your use of the word snob' is just as bad though?

it annoys me as it's an english term but has gotten into the irish mainstream when it has no basis here.

southeastastra Wed 16-Jul-08 12:34:14

look at the comments on our local site (if you're interested!)

hatrick Wed 16-Jul-08 12:34:19

Message withdrawn

NumberJill Wed 16-Jul-08 12:36:02

To hear someone describe something or someone as 'chav' screams to me of a substandard vocabulary. There are many words that can be used in place of 'chav'.

Amusingly, I hear it spouted most from the be-baseballed capped proletariat to whom it indirectly refers.

To hear the term 'chav' very often will lead me to believe the person using it to be both vulgar, snobbish (in a 'Dorien' from 'Birds of a feather' way) and ignorant.

DaisySteiner Wed 16-Jul-08 12:36:35

There was an article on this very subject in The Guardian yesterday: www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/jul/15/socialexclusion

MaryAnnSingleton Wed 16-Jul-08 12:37:04

different thing, but I feel similarly about the laziness of 'acholic' being attached to any thing, particularly 'chocoholic'- 'workaholic' - it has no sense !

MaryAnnSingleton Wed 16-Jul-08 12:38:01

Daisy (love your name I'm guessing where it came from !) that was what the radio piece was based on

FioFio Wed 16-Jul-08 12:38:07

Message withdrawn

OrmIrian Wed 16-Jul-08 12:38:12

I hate it. Nasty, lazy and indiscriminate.
I am glad to say I don't know any chavs. All my friends are real human beings.

FioFio Wed 16-Jul-08 12:38:43

Message withdrawn

MaryAnnSingleton Wed 16-Jul-08 12:39:09

dreoles sounds better !

OrmIrian Wed 16-Jul-08 12:39:41

I did wonder fio.

FioFio Wed 16-Jul-08 12:40:48

Message withdrawn

OrmIrian Wed 16-Jul-08 12:42:03

But.... sorry... what are they blush

I thought that creoles were people of mixed race from the New Orleans area.

ranting Wed 16-Jul-08 12:43:30

Well I own some creoles and I shall now be wearing them with pride. Would love to know what a dreole is thoughgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now