Talk

Advanced search

Alesha Dixon BLM necklace

(36 Posts)
Thedogscollar Sat 19-Sep-20 21:59:05

Big up to Alesha Dixon for wearing BLM necklace on BGT tonight. No doubt a fuck you to all the racists moaning about Diversity's performance a few weeks ago.

Well done Alesha grin

OP’s posts: |
LetsGoFlyAKiteee Sat 19-Sep-20 23:48:45

I think the semis were all pre recorded weeks ago.Maybe she just had a feeling lol

Bonesy1 Sat 19-Sep-20 23:50:48

Tonight’s was recorded last Saturday

Thedogscollar Sat 19-Sep-20 23:55:59

After the flack Diversity had to put up with I think Alesha got her point across beautifully.

Banyantree1990 Sat 19-Sep-20 23:58:21

Good for her. Who’s going to speak up for BLM? Not most white people that’s clear from the number of ‘complaints’ about the Diversity performance.

louderthan Sat 19-Sep-20 23:58:30

Who are these 42% voting YABU? Racists.

Quaagars Sun 20-Sep-20 00:00:47

Good for her, YANBU!

SchrodingersImmigrant Sun 20-Sep-20 00:00:55

Banyantree1990

Good for her. Who’s going to speak up for BLM? Not most white people that’s clear from the number of ‘complaints’ about the Diversity performance.

25000 is not "most white people"... It most likely wasn't even all white people🤷🏻

Haenow Sun 20-Sep-20 00:08:15

louderthan

They’ll identify themselves soon enough by declaring “but all lives matter”.

Havaiana Sun 20-Sep-20 00:08:26

I must admit 25,000 is a huge number of complaints to Ofcom, when usually it's just 2 or 3. I suspect it must been organised, which is quite scary.

Prig Sun 20-Sep-20 00:09:41

I would say that a lot of the complaints will be from the same people who consistently didn't vote for black celebrities on Strictly.... Who sympathise with edl, voted strongly for Brexit (but hard right) and still would. But there are many white people who strongly oppose this mentality. Especially those from mixed heritage backgrounds who have experienced more xenophobia in recent years than ever before.

Prig Sun 20-Sep-20 00:11:22

That wasn't meant to downplay blm movement though - it deserves all of the attention and support it has been getting and it's a brilliant thing to be open about this support.

DimityandDeNimes Sun 20-Sep-20 00:23:59

Big up? For wearing a necklace?

She’s not exactly Rosa Parks, is she?

AriettyHomily Sun 20-Sep-20 00:25:38

I thought it was great. Understated but made her point.

Why compare her to Rosa Parks?

Thedogscollar Sun 20-Sep-20 00:26:12

It was the statement she was making or don't you get that??

BlueThistles Sun 20-Sep-20 00:28:01

Rosa Parks was classy strong, fought hard and won.

She is to be truly respected. 🌺

Barrowmanfan22 Sun 20-Sep-20 00:29:25

louderthan

I have issues with the BLM movement but liked and supported the performance. My father is South African and I am far from a racist.

Many of these problems stem from words like that being flung about.

Barrowmanfan22 Sun 20-Sep-20 00:30:27

Prig

I would say that a lot of the complaints will be from the same people who consistently didn't vote for black celebrities on Strictly.... Who sympathise with edl, voted strongly for Brexit (but hard right) and still would. But there are many white people who strongly oppose this mentality. Especially those from mixed heritage backgrounds who have experienced more xenophobia in recent years than ever before.

Generalisations are the issue here.

How on earth can you know that people support EDL but wouldn't vote for a black celebrity. This is made up nonsense.

Pobblebonk Sun 20-Sep-20 00:31:05

She's got the Mail commenters having apoplexy yet again. Good for her.

BlueThistles Sun 20-Sep-20 00:32:15

Do people still read the Daily Mail 🤣

DimityandDeNimes Sun 20-Sep-20 00:32:47

Well of course black lives matter to Alesha Dixon - she is black! So I don’t think she’s doing anything that deserves bigging up because she wore a necklace whilst appearing on a TV show. She was just virtue signalling.

Torvean32 Sun 20-Sep-20 00:34:53

I agree with you @Barrowmanfan22

Barrowmanfan22 Sun 20-Sep-20 00:35:29

DimityandDeNimes

Well of course black lives matter to Alesha Dixon - she is black! So I don’t think she’s doing anything that deserves bigging up because she wore a necklace whilst appearing on a TV show. She was just virtue signalling.

Alesha is mixed race.

Virtue signalling isn't a thing. It's a cause that matters to her. Whether she should promote that is a different matter but virtue signalling is pretending to care when you don't - a contradiction to your post.

DimityandDeNimes Sun 20-Sep-20 00:39:30

“noun: virtue signaling
the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue“

Ponoka7 Sun 20-Sep-20 00:40:03

@louderthan
"Who are these 42% voting YABU? Racists."

Are the Black people who don't agree with the political movement, BLM, also racists?

My Nigerian, Zimbabwean and Ghanaian friends are of the opinion that if BLM (especially women's) then they wouldn't have had to leave Africa.

BLM as a statement is correct, but if someone can wear a piece of Jewellery on television supprting a political movement, when upto now that hasn't been allowed, then people can question that.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in