Talk

Advanced search

to think this school policy is really odd?

(241 Posts)
Oakmaiden Wed 29-Jan-20 13:49:36

My daughter is 16. Her school have just implemented a new toilet policy. If you wish to go to the toilet you have to go in 2 minutes, and you have to be chaperoned to and from the toilet by a senior member of staff.

I just think this is really odd. From my daughter's point of view she has food intolerances and sometimes it can take her a fair while on the loo if her tummy is unsettled (just to add, as a general rule she will avoid going to the toilet at school at all, if she can possibly manage it). But even without that, as she has said, she doesn't want to have to go to and from the toilet with an adult, or to discuss her toileting needs with anyone.

I do get that toilets in secondary schools are an ENORMOUS problem, but this just seems a totally bizarre way of managing it.

Not to forget - you now have the headteacher accompanying children to the toilet. Surely she has better things to do?

I don't know - am I wrong to think this is a very strange, and not quite right, policy?

latheritup Wed 29-Jan-20 13:52:57

2 minutes and chaperoned? I think that's bizarre. You should be allowed an adequate amount of time to do your business and in private. I wouldn't be happy with that as a pupil or parent.

PhilomenaChristmasPie Wed 29-Jan-20 13:53:16

She should be able to get a toilet pass if she has food intolerances, like for when girls have their periods.

Whichoneofyoudidthat Wed 29-Jan-20 13:54:52

Secondary toilets are an enormous problem? What am I missing?

SheSaidNoFuckThat Wed 29-Jan-20 13:57:15

My DCs don't allow them to go toilet in lesson time full stop (mine have no specific issues, not sure if there are passes for those that do)

Oakmaiden Wed 29-Jan-20 13:58:37

@SheSaidNoFuckThat sorry, I wasn't clear. The toilets are locked and inaccessible without a chaperone during break and lunch times too.

SarahTancredi Wed 29-Jan-20 13:59:06

Why haven't the school given her a medical pass card ?

Timing toilet visits? Gods sake. Surely by 16 the school know who the piss takers are and who isnt . Why are they making everyones lives miserable. Do they need to explain why they went over their allotted time? hmm

Ponoka7 Wed 29-Jan-20 13:59:57

Has there been a rise in knife crime or gang involvement?

Has anything locally happened to prompt this?

CarrotVan Wed 29-Jan-20 14:00:31

Firstly ask for a medical exemption for your daughter

Then have a discussion about whether they've considered that this might cause students to avoid going to the toilets and therefore more likely to develop UTIs, struggle to manage periods etc

JuniLoolaPalooza Wed 29-Jan-20 14:01:14

How long is the school day?! Because from what you've said, it sounds like they don't expect the children to use the toilet whole at school at all. Or is this an accessible toilet which has been vandalised if available to all?
Surely they must just unlock them at break times and have a teacher nearby to prevent vandalism?

byvirtue Wed 29-Jan-20 14:01:16

Good god teenagers are being chaperoned to the loo now, even on their breaks??? FFS the world has gone mad!

crochetandshit Wed 29-Jan-20 14:01:26

No children have free access to a toilet during school hours?
I'd be sad-facing the shit out of any newspaper that would listen!

Oakmaiden Wed 29-Jan-20 14:02:00

You see, the getting as pass when you have a period thing strikes me as problematic too - what 13 year old wants to have to go up to someone and explain they have just "come on" and need a toilet pass?

And yes, @Whichoneofyoudidthat secondary toilets are a nightmare. Sweeping statement - but the boys loos get trashed on a regular basis, and then you have the youngsters who sneak out of lessons either on the pretext of going to the loo (and disappear off for a fag or whatever) or who hang around in the loos and intimidate other users.

Ponoka7 Wed 29-Jan-20 14:02:02

Locked toilets? Normally that's to stop criminal activity.

Has there been a hint of any sexual activity or assault/harassment?

This hasn't come from nowhere.

LagunaBubbles Wed 29-Jan-20 14:02:51

Locking toilets? Timing loo trips? What happens if you're still not finished after 2 minutes, dues the chaierine open the toilet door, nothing would surprise me!

LagunaBubbles Wed 29-Jan-20 14:03:04

Chaperone!

Hercwasonaroll Wed 29-Jan-20 14:03:32

The school may have had a serious safeguarding incident happen in the toilets. Therefore a blanket policy they apply to everyone is fairer than singling out students who can and can't be trusted to go to the toilet.

From the outside with no context it looks bonkers. But if they had found a child using drugs/having sex in the toilets then they have to protect those children.

Ponoka7 Wed 29-Jan-20 14:04:22

"but the boys loos get trashed on a regular basis, or who hang around in the loos and intimidate other users."

Which partly explains it.

It's an anti crime, anti bullying policy.

SarahTancredi Wed 29-Jan-20 14:06:56

Except its just the adults bullying now and not the kids....

How the hell are girls supposed to manage periods if the toilets are locked all day.

They shluldnt have to announce it to a teacher to be able to change a pad.

SheSaidNoFuckThat Wed 29-Jan-20 14:06:57

@Oakmaiden oh that's harsh! Assumed you just meant lesson times, my DCs school haven't had the damage/bullying issues though

Stabbitha Wed 29-Jan-20 14:07:20

I hated the toilets at school. They were a bullies haven. Very intimidating.

Oakmaiden Wed 29-Jan-20 14:08:00

I think I will contact the school and get their new policy in writing - I am not relying entirely on my daughter's say so - I phoned and talked to the receptionist who said they have 2 minutes and have to be accompanied by a member of SLT. My daughter said her friend asked to go yesterday and had to go with the Head. And that they are locked at breaktimes and lunch.

But, yeah. Badly thought out policy, I think. I will check the details before I go charging in waving my pitchfork though...

motheroftwoboys Wed 29-Jan-20 14:10:21

senior member of staff to accompany pupils to the loo? Really?

drspouse Wed 29-Jan-20 14:11:24

Surely if they have problems break and lunchtimes they could just have a supervisor during those times? And only a medical pass the other times?

MillicentMartha Wed 29-Jan-20 14:11:46

Locked at break times and lunch? That really is bizarre!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »