Talk

Advanced search

To think that anyone that thinks Ed Sheeran isn't talented hasn't got a clue!

(144 Posts)
Ohbehave1 Wed 11-Sep-19 20:09:24

Just been listening to some of his stuff and he has dueted with so many different styles of people and is so versatile as both a singer and a song writer. If you can't see that you must be blind...

IDontDrinkTea Wed 11-Sep-19 20:12:39

Plus if you watch him live, he does it all himself. Just him on stage with a guitar and a loop pedal. Doesn’t mime like half the artists out there. Doesn’t even have a back up band. It’s incredible

Hannah021 Wed 11-Sep-19 20:14:00

why do u care what ppl think of him?
What about your talents and skills? I think we're more keen on that, than someone already earning for his talent what we can't afford all our lives lol

Shouldibeworriedaboutthis Wed 11-Sep-19 20:14:36

People seem to equate talent with whether or not something is to their taste.

I think the people who say he isn’t talented are jealous. How could you deny he’s talented?

His shows are fantastic with none of the guff that Take That etc need to make a show. It’s all him.

SimonJT Wed 11-Sep-19 20:14:51

Really not that different to most performers, he is however rather big headed and a bit up himself.

Bapman Wed 11-Sep-19 20:16:18

I don’t think he’s that talented really

Sparklingbrook Wed 11-Sep-19 20:16:49

Not my cup of tea but I assume he's a nice person and his huge fan base suggests a lot of people think he's talented.

But it doesn't really matter.

elQuintoConyo Wed 11-Sep-19 20:18:01

Talented - yes. Bland as arseholes - definitely.

cushioncovers Wed 11-Sep-19 20:18:27

I like quite a few of his songs. Can't say I find him interesting to watch him performing on stage. Does he write his own songs? If he does then yes he is talented imo

Sallycanwait1 Wed 11-Sep-19 20:20:50

You know most of his song are plagiarised

Tobebythesea Wed 11-Sep-19 20:20:56

He is amazing live.

Ohbehave1 Wed 11-Sep-19 20:21:56

@sallycanwait. Aren't most these days.

Sux2buthen Wed 11-Sep-19 20:23:02

Bores the shit out of me personally.

Ravenblack Wed 11-Sep-19 20:24:29

@Ohbehave1

Oh yeah he is talented for sure, but I think he is a bit overrated.

I think he cornered a niche in the market for an ordinary-but-cute boy with a guitar, and he has a song for every occasion.

There have been a hundred boys trying to do the same thing for the last 7-8 years. Always a few on X Factor - every year. No-one will do as well as him though.

He is good and I like him, but don't get the fuss and the hype. Same with Adele. Nice girl, pretty, quite a decent voice, good songs, but the hysteria around her - and people acting like she is the best thing since sliced bread - baffles me.

They both conquered America though, and they both came from fairly humble backgrounds. So good for them. smile

MeowTseTung Wed 11-Sep-19 20:24:55

He has a knack for a melody and reasonably memorable lyrics. However, let's face it, it's not down to the quality of the music any more, heart and capital would play to death 3 minutes of him farting in the bath and it'd get to number one for six weeks.

x2boys Wed 11-Sep-19 20:25:45

It's a question of taste surely?.I think he's a good singer but they I'm not really into his type of music , I have always preferred Rock music to more mainstream stuff ,but again it's a question of taste.

100PercentThatBitch Wed 11-Sep-19 20:25:52

Some of his lyrics are cringey

My insides turn inside out from cringe when he raps

But in general he is talented and I do like him

Pinkblueberry Wed 11-Sep-19 20:26:21

I think hype creates hype - I personally wouldn’t have taken much notice of him or any of his songs if other people didn’t go on about them and radio didn’t replay them all the time. Talented? Yes. Overated? Also yes.

colourlessgreenidea Wed 11-Sep-19 20:27:02

If you can't see that you must be blind...

Surely you mean ‘if you can’t hear that, you must be deaf’, what with music being an aural rather than a visual medium?

I agree that he’s talented at what he does. However, what he does is dull as fuck.

TheMaestro Wed 11-Sep-19 20:27:37

He's no more talented than half the people you see busking on the street. Why a big label decided to come in and "make" him I have no idea, but they've obviously done well out of it. I guess that's why...

Borisdaspide Wed 11-Sep-19 20:29:05

He wrote Galway Girl and then sang it in public. He is not talented.

colourlessgreenidea Wed 11-Sep-19 20:29:35

Aren't most these days

confused

How do you reconcile acknowledging his potential plagiarism with him being a versatile songwriter?

onanothertrain Wed 11-Sep-19 20:30:34

I think he's shite

Borisdaspide Wed 11-Sep-19 20:30:46

Also he does folky stuff and rap-adjacent stuff. I shan't regard him as versatile until he puts out a death metal Thinking Out Loud.

DarkDarkNight Wed 11-Sep-19 20:32:54

Talented? Maybe. Original? Nah.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »