Drying washing on our balcony

(494 Posts)
Emmabryant123 Sat 03-Aug-19 11:37:39

We private rent in a block of 16 flats
The flats vary from rented to owned .
We put our washing on two airers today on our balcony
No offensive clothing etc on show
We came down to this message on the main front door
Are we being unreasonable!? Or is this person who wrote this note being unreasonable?

CrotchetyQuaver Sat 03-Aug-19 12:14:00

I think it's a fairly standard clause in the main leasehold agreement the owner of your flat would have agreed to when they bought the property. they haven't passed that information on to you,
I used to use the ones that hang on the back of a door in my flat and they were very efficient.

Sarcelle Sat 03-Aug-19 12:14:17

I would buy really big lurid print y-fronts and make them a permanent feature on the balcony.

Breathlessness Sat 03-Aug-19 12:14:39

It was a shitty and unnecessary note and I would be very tempted to stick up a print out of the environmental benefits of line drying and the carbon footprint of tumble dryers.

dudsville Sat 03-Aug-19 12:14:58

That note made me laugh. As only certain people care to line dry their clothing. Also, what even would be an offensive item of clothing?

Boilingfrog Sat 03-Aug-19 12:15:44

Turn the paper round.

Write:

NO excessively bossy notes on matters outside your concern! This is NOT a police state!

PS I must ask you not to contact me again as I will be forced to take it to the police as a harassment matter.

PPS I have hidden cctv and know who you are.

soapona Sat 03-Aug-19 12:17:03

My titles deeds state no washing outside. I have a townhouse with a roof terrace, garden and balcony. It's just so that it doesn't look trashy. I do put my washing out in a hot day (as do my neighbours) but I know it's not allowed. If it's a new build it's probably in the title deeds.

Passthecherrycoke Sat 03-Aug-19 12:18:06

I would say the majority of flats don’t allow this. However if you’re renting it may well be in the owners deeds but not your rental agreement (so many landlords just use standard ones) so I can totally see how you’d be unaware

To be honest, the reason most blocks don’t allow it because it does look unpleasant. There is a sort of holy grail of things that make your estate look a bit shit- laundry on balconies, old fridges in the garden, banged up old cars being repaired, etc etc. You can call snobbery but when it’s your property price going down you might not be so fast to criticise

BlueSkiesLies Sat 03-Aug-19 12:19:30

99.9999% of new build flats have a no washing on the balcony clause

Just put it on a rack inside next to the open balcony door.

Daisychainsgetbroken Sat 03-Aug-19 12:21:50

This was on gmtv yesterday maybe they had been watching that and got ideas

MrsWombat Sat 03-Aug-19 12:22:00

I would clarify things with your landlord then go to the charity shop for some brightly coloured clothing to have permanently installed on the balcony. I think some African national dress would do nicely.

Emmabryant123 Sat 03-Aug-19 12:22:14

This isn't a new build but I hate confrontation so will probably just dry indoors like normal and use dryer in winter as usual

IWannaSeeHowItEnds Sat 03-Aug-19 12:22:47

People who refuse to put their name to these notes don't deserve to be listened to! Keep doing what you want - if it's against the covenants then rude note keaver can contact your landlord and take it up with them. So long as you are not in breach of your lease, this is not your problem. It is up to your ll to inform you of what isn't allowed, not done snotty, cowardly neighbour.
I'd not waste all this sunshine on account of this.

BlueCornsihPixie Sat 03-Aug-19 12:23:51

Surely the no washing on balconies rule is always just pure snobbery? It's always used to me "we are not a council estate" anyway tbh. It's a ridiculous rule even if it is there

Everyone needs to dry clothes, the best way to dry clothes is outside to a) prevent damp and b) save the environment. No wonder the environment is fucked if people have decided drying washing outside looks unsightly!

IWannaSeeHowItEnds Sat 03-Aug-19 12:24:24

You might as well have doormat stamped on your forehead! Stand up for yourself. You can't go through life avoiding all confrontation.

TheHandsOfNeilBuchanan Sat 03-Aug-19 12:24:50

What fresh hell is this? I understand not hanging laundry over the balcony, but on an airer? Also people with private gardens aren't allowed to dry laundry outside?? Wtf surely if it's freehold you can do what you like. My first owned property was a leasehold ground floor flat with a private garden on a 'naice' new development, most were huge houses. Everyone dried their laundry on lines in the gardens, how is it trashy? Most people don't put their underwear on the washing line anyway it's dried inside or on an airer in a fenced garden.

PapaShango Sat 03-Aug-19 12:24:55

Agree most flats don't allow this. Our old flat had a balcony and communal garden. We weren’t allowed washing or any unsightly items on either of them.

The note, however would make my blood boil. I don’t think I’d be able to let it go. I would definitely be leaving a reply for them. I like a pp about council tenants having more class! Or the carbon footprint thing.

On another note, I know it doesn’t look that nice but shouldn’t we be encouraging people to line dry more? In an age where we’re all trying to be more environmentally friendly, should we really care if it looks unsightly?

BlueCornsihPixie Sat 03-Aug-19 12:25:05

No! They confronted you OP so you confront back! Don't let them get away with writing snobby shite like that

BlueCornsihPixie Sat 03-Aug-19 12:27:21

Also at the end of the day does it really matter if something looks 'trashy'. Like really surely we should all be over caring about what people think by now, line dried clothes are the best clothes

Passthecherrycoke Sat 03-Aug-19 12:27:40

I don’t think it is snobbery- older estates usually have this rule too- it just that it’s not always enforced, and that’s classically how you’d tell a “good” estate from a bad one, when both were council estates. They’re were always the estates people didn’t want to be housed. Usually it meant the residents were so out of control the council / HA couldn’t get them to follow the rules or were too scared to confront them.

In a good HA this will all be enforced and you’ll have people who have been evicted for ie dumping white goods in their front garden, purely because it brings down the look and reputation of the estate (and technically because it’s against their tenancy agreement)

BigChocFrenzy Sat 03-Aug-19 12:27:54

"I hate confrontation "

That's what this anonymous snob was counting on

Check with the letting agency / LL

When I was an LL, I put any lease requirements in the letting contract - that's usual practice

Obviously if the LL states the lease rules forbid hanging out washing, then obey
Otherwise, enjoy hanging

Luxesoap Sat 03-Aug-19 12:28:40

I agree, if your tenancy agreement says hanging out washing isn’t allowed then you’ll have to dry it indoors but if there’s nothing to say that I’d carry on as you are. I live on a council estate and am one of a tiny minority who hang washing out. Hardly anyone dries outdoors here for some reason 🤷🏽‍♀️.

Abraid2 Sat 03-Aug-19 12:28:55

Oh well, as the world burns up it’s nice to know standards are being upheld.

SerendipityJane Sat 03-Aug-19 12:29:41

Who fancies a game of graphology ?

70% a woman writing it. 90% over the age of 55 ....

DisplayPurposesOnly Sat 03-Aug-19 12:31:05

I hate confrontation

Put your washing back out! There hasn't been any confrontation - there's been an anonymous note from a twat who's too cowardly to speak to you!

If putting washing out was forbidden then the note-writer would have mentioned that (and should have put a polite signed note through your door). Instead they have stopped to anonymity and snobbery, because they know right is not on their side.

Actionhasmagic Sat 03-Aug-19 12:32:37

This is a mean note. Why shouldn’t you be allowed? You’re paying rent! You don’t want mould!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »