Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask how often you wash your pillows?

(102 Posts)
StrawberrySundance Tue 16-Jul-19 10:50:58

In the last couple of years I have been getting spots on my face.

I bought new creams, drank more water, washed my pillowcase more often ... but today I realised that I have not washed my pillow once in the 10+ years since I bought it blush

Anyway, I am off to buy a new pillow.

DP is horrified and I feel very very judged, but surely I am not alone in my slatternly ways?!

NationMcKinley Tue 16-Jul-19 11:11:43

I’ve never washed a pillow either. We use pillow cases and thick pillow protectors which both get washed regularly

NoTheresa Tue 16-Jul-19 11:11:55

Buy new pillows - non-feathered - frequently - much more frequently than every 6 months. It’s basic hygiene.

KingMidasAteMidges Tue 16-Jul-19 11:12:27

All our pillows have protectors which I wash every week/ every other week - sniff test. The pillows get washed at least every year or in between if sick gets on them etc. The key to washing pillows and duvets is packing them tightly into the drum, then they don’t lose their shape. I also add a bit of bleach to kill off any nasties that have accumulated over the 12 months. You are right that after a few washes, pillows and duvets will need to be replaced though.

I can’t imagine sleeping on the same unwashed pillow for 10 years. You still perspire in your sleep which goes through the pillow case, you might dribble some saliva etc etc

It is a bit grim in my book 🤮

smellybellynoonoo Tue 16-Jul-19 11:12:47

I have pillow protectors. wash those when they fail the sniff test, so every 6 months ish? wash the actual pillow once a year in the summer?

BeyondDangerousTshirts Tue 16-Jul-19 11:13:05

About once a year, as it gets warm enough for them to dry outside. Or obv any time they get spewed on or (in my case - random nocturnal nosebleeds...) bled on

Sunshineonleith12 Tue 16-Jul-19 11:13:20

I've only ever washed the kids pillows and duvets (very rarely) after a nosebleed/sickness/wet bed. They fit in the machine. I've never washed ours though and never used a launderette. Pillow protecters are a good idea.

Butterfly98 Tue 16-Jul-19 11:14:38

We use the quilted pillow protectors in our house which are washed and changed with the duvet covers etc. They are anti allergy so I guess are made out of the same material as duvets. No feather/down pillows or duvets here as we would all be constantly sneezing 🤧 mainly me! Pillows don't wash well anyway so just buy new ones once a year instead.

Momof2boys1girl Tue 16-Jul-19 11:14:52

I washed my pillows yesterday for the first time. Washed them on a 30° wash then in the dryer on low heat. Honestly they’re like new. Give it a go

IncrediblySadToo Tue 16-Jul-19 11:15:20

Pillows pretty much never anytime I’ve trued they just die

Pillow cases I have two on each pillow and they get fresh ones in twice a week minimum i but new ones when I start getting neck ache ( joys of getting older I now get neck ache if I don’t have ‘my’ pillow or when it gets too flat! - I’m only in my 40’s!!)

I like lots of pillows (not cushions) on my bed so I just add a couple of new ones.🤷🏻‍♀️ I buy ones that are ‘like’ feather but aren’t

I don’t like ‘pillow protecters’ they change the feel of the pillow too much fir me so I just use 2 pillow cases.

So how often does judgey pants DP wash his pillows?

Lweji Tue 16-Jul-19 11:16:47

Buy new pillows - non-feathered - frequently - much more frequently than every 6 months. It’s basic hygiene.

More like basic waste!

NoTheresa Tue 16-Jul-19 11:21:21

Not at all.

Deadringer Tue 16-Jul-19 11:24:27

I don't usually wash pillows, as any time I did they came out all scrunched up and unusable. But recently I successfully washed some. I folded the pillow tightly and put it in a pillowcase, then added another. They were so tightly packed in that they couldn't move about. The came out perfect! That's how I will be doing them from now on. My own pillow is latex so won't be washing that, I do use at least 3 pillow cases on it though.

Ginnymweasley Tue 16-Jul-19 11:25:35

I couldn't afford to buy new pillows every 6 months. That's a ridiculous waste of both money and resources. What are you getting kn your pillow if it only lasts 6 months. We have pillow protectors and pillow cases that we wash every week. Pillows get replaced when they become misshapen or stained. No wonder the planet is going to shit if people are throwing pillows away every 6 months.

Reallybadidea Tue 16-Jul-19 11:26:11

Yeah, because people get sick from using old pillows hmm

The world's doomed with some of these attitudes sad

transformandriseup Tue 16-Jul-19 11:28:35

Every 6 months? Mine are years old and look new.

BuzzShitbagBobbly Tue 16-Jul-19 11:29:24

Maybe once a year when I (a) think about it (see a thread like this); and (b) it's a roasting hot day so they'll dry.

But I also use pillow protectors under the pillowcases and because there is only me, can rotate all 4 at my pleasure.

MargoLovebutter Tue 16-Jul-19 11:32:31

I have down pillows & I never wash them. However, whenever the sun is out - winter or summer - I put them out to blast in the sunshine for as long as possible, turning them regularly. I do the same with my down duvets.

At this time of year the sun acts like bleach & I think has anti-bac properties too.

For me it isn't the washing of the pillows that would be the issue, but the drying. Down is a bastard to dry & if you don't get it done 100%, then the feathers matt together and can go a bit mouldy too.

BuzzShitbagBobbly Tue 16-Jul-19 11:32:39

I don't know what a pillow protector is

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+a+pillow+protector&p=1&s=g

BarbaraofSeville Tue 16-Jul-19 11:39:31

Buy new pillows - non-feathered - frequently - much more frequently than every 6 months. It’s basic hygiene

I do hope you are joking.

Sakura7 Tue 16-Jul-19 11:54:02

I'm going to assume this is a joke. Surely nobody could be that ridiculous.

Bloomburger Tue 16-Jul-19 12:04:24

Duvet & pillow protectors once a month, pillow cases every week.

Alsohuman Tue 16-Jul-19 12:14:24

New pillows every couple of months? Lunacy.

TrickyKid Tue 16-Jul-19 12:17:30

Do you mean you've used the same pillow for 10 years?!
I was them every few months and replace maybe every 2 years.

Jinglejanglefish Tue 16-Jul-19 12:17:54

I washed my pillow after reading that you could on MN and it got absolutely ruined. Lumpy and saggy in places and took ages to get dry. I won't do it again

StrawberrySundance Tue 16-Jul-19 12:20:42

TrickyKid

Do you mean you've used the same pillow for 10 years?!

Yup! I bought a nice one when I went to uni and have not parted with it since.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »