Talk

Advanced search

To think DH should remember...

(444 Posts)
leopardandspots Thu 11-Jul-19 23:25:33

That DD's seven years at primary school finishes next Tuesday.

And that he should not have arranged to go out after work with his mate?

serenadoundy Thu 11-Jul-19 23:29:40

He can't go out because your DD finishes primary school?

FFSMelvin Thu 11-Jul-19 23:30:16

Why? Did he promise to pick her up?

FFSMelvin Thu 11-Jul-19 23:31:18

Finishing primary school isn't a big deal really. 🤷🏼‍♀️

BananasAreTheSourceOfEvil Thu 11-Jul-19 23:32:53

What were you planning to do exactly?

AfterSchoolWorry Thu 11-Jul-19 23:33:04

confused

pictish Thu 11-Jul-19 23:33:52

Um...why not?

Percypigparade Thu 11-Jul-19 23:34:39

Mine has just finished OP and it was a big deal - there was an assembly for parents and most went out for lunch afterwards - both dh and I had potential meals out (end of term for us too) but we didn't go as it was ds' turn to have the fuss.

PurpleDaisies Thu 11-Jul-19 23:35:35

I don’t get it.

Percypigparade Thu 11-Jul-19 23:36:21

...and this may be unpopular on mumsnet but another parent had organised a party bus for that afternoon.
I would have had no idea until this year that it was a big deal!

Iamnotagoddess Thu 11-Jul-19 23:36:25

WTAF? My DH is in the forces and I thank my lucky stars if he gets home for Christmas.

His birthday was this week and we spent it apart

snitzelvoncrumb Thu 11-Jul-19 23:39:03

Just make plans and give him the option to join you.

StVincent Thu 11-Jul-19 23:40:22

Gordon Bennett really? Is there a plan in place that he ought to remember, or just that it’s a “special day”.

I can’t fathom what it must be like in a family that puts you at the centre like that. Can’t work out if my mum fuming cos my dad will be out after I finish primary would be nice or weirdly intense!

Iamnotagoddess Thu 11-Jul-19 23:41:51

And so am sick to the back teeth off seeing pre school, primary school, middle school “proms” or “graduations”.

High school prom is bad enough.

The pressure on low income families must be immense.

Baby showers, ridiculous hen dos.

Have I actually moved to America without consenting to it?

Zippyx Thu 11-Jul-19 23:41:58

YABU.

Your DD finishes primary school next Tuesday. And you want your DH to do what exactly? Just feels like you're trying to find an excuse to celebrate something - unless there's something I've missed...

Iamnotagoddess Thu 11-Jul-19 23:44:11

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

FineWordsForAPorcupine Thu 11-Jul-19 23:45:03

WTAF? My DH is in the forces and I thank my lucky stars if he gets home for Christmas

You know that your kids parent being away so much is not actually...good, right? My father was in the forces and missed most of my childhood. It wasn't a good thing.

Nor does it mean that someone else doesn't get to have feelings about their partner missing childhood events because "hey, it could be worse, he could be in the forces and miss EVEN MORE".

leopardandspots Thu 11-Jul-19 23:45:46

Perhaps it's no big deal for some people then? It is a big deal for DD.

I think part of parenting is being around for special days in your child's life? There are some days that don't happen often. It's like a rite of passage that she'll remember.

If it was his first or last day in a new job I think he'd be miffed if we forgot and went out.

Iamnotagoddess Thu 11-Jul-19 23:47:26

You know that your kids parent being away so much is not actually...good, right? My father was in the forces and missed most of my childhood. It wasn't a good thing

I don’t have any kids with my DH.

The OP is being totally ridiculous and needs to build resilience in her children.

RosaWaiting Thu 11-Jul-19 23:47:30

"It's like a rite of passage that she'll remember."

for how long?

I don't think I remembered primary school from about....the day after it finished?!

Iamnotagoddess Thu 11-Jul-19 23:48:50

@leopardandspots

So no one in the armed forces should have children?

SlipperyWhenWatery Thu 11-Jul-19 23:49:24

Can't remember my last day at primary.

StreetwiseHercules Thu 11-Jul-19 23:49:38

On my last day at primary school the bell rang. Me and my mates went swimming at the local leisure centre and then played football. No parents involved. The end.

sweeneytoddsrazor Thu 11-Jul-19 23:51:08

What should he be doing instead then?

Imknackeredzzz Thu 11-Jul-19 23:54:05

Oh get a grip

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »