Talk

Advanced search

To ask you to share your dc back handed compliments?

(72 Posts)
bobstersmum Sat 22-Jun-19 22:44:09

My 5 year old ds was trying to cheer me up this evening and he said Mum, even though you wear glasses you still look nice! I laughed and said thank you. Then he said but you do look weird without makeup, you do need that makeup. But Mum you just look so not old and amazing!
He meant well, I think!

OP’s posts: |
TheFirstOHN Sat 22-Jun-19 22:47:04

"You're my favourite middle-aged woman"
From DS1 when he was early secondary school age.

Notreallyhavingitall Sat 22-Jun-19 22:55:31

DS about 6 at the time, looking at wedding photo 'So that was what you looked like when you got married?' Me 'Yes'. DS 'So when you got married Daddy didn't know you would' (looking me up and down) 'look like this now?' Harsh.

ludothedog Sat 22-Jun-19 22:58:31

I was told I look like Mrs Trunshbull from Matilda. Problem is that I do (well, a little bit)

TheBabyAteMyBrain Sat 22-Jun-19 22:58:36

My nephew a couple of weeks back. 'Your skirt must be really ugly because I really like it' hmm

MamaLazarou Sat 22-Jun-19 22:59:36

My DS asked me if I was a grown-up and was so surprised when I told him I was!

christinarossetti19 Sat 22-Jun-19 22:59:53

Spent AGES taking and uploading close up face photo for my website.

I was quite pleased with the final result.

My 10 year old looked over my shoulder and said in a surprised voice, "That's good. You don't even look too wrinkly."

MsTSwift Sat 22-Jun-19 23:01:50

Dressed up to go out in tight black dress “you look great mum just like slinky Malinky” (her favourite book at the time but black cat was not really what I was looking for )

christinarossetti19 Sat 22-Jun-19 23:02:06

Oh yes. My other dc at at about 9 years of age, eating the, "This is quite nice. Have you learnt how to cook now?"

christinarossetti19 Sat 22-Jun-19 23:02:29

Eating tea obviously!

TheHandsOfNeilBuchanan Sat 22-Jun-19 23:04:27

DS is too young to talk yet, but the infamous comment on my family was when DH said to DM, you give the best cuddles mummy, I think it's because you've got the big squishy belly and boobies....

TheHandsOfNeilBuchanan Sat 22-Jun-19 23:04:46

DB not DH!!!!!

C0untDucku1a Sat 22-Jun-19 23:08:17

My ds to me after i’d done a bit of clearly heavy-handed filling in: ‘mummy! I LOVE your eyebrows! You look just like an angry bird!’

SrSteveOskowski Sat 22-Jun-19 23:12:42

Not me, but my friend's DS to her around ten years ago when he was about 3. Goes to give her a big hug and then says "Ooh, I didn't know mummies had boobies on their back too!"

She joined Slimming World the next day.

EatenByDinosaurs Sat 22-Jun-19 23:20:14

Unusually for me, I was feeling really pleased with a new outfit, and even a bit smug when DS told me how cool I looked in it.
Until he followed by asking if I was going to wear my new Kylo Ren costume for Halloween hmm

sadkoala Sat 22-Jun-19 23:31:45

My 4 yo DS tonight after I finished making a questionable cake "it looks like a silly sandwich!" "I'm going to eat it all up!"

Fruitbatdancer Sat 22-Jun-19 23:36:54

“You look beautiful mum” said DS 5, “just like Darth Vader” confusedblushgrin

Jencottage Sat 22-Jun-19 23:39:34

Getting undressed, DD looked at me standing there in just my tights and told me I was the loveliest sausage..

Snooky84 Sat 22-Jun-19 23:44:29

Singing to the radio with my 11dd when she tells me I can't sing, which is true. There is then a long pause and she taps my arm affectionately and says don't worry if we work together we'll find something you can be good at.
Erm.... Patience with children springs to mind.

TheDarkPassenger Sat 22-Jun-19 23:46:43

My son aged 4 ( had just moved in with us and establishing relationship) look I drew you a picture! It looks just like you with a cute face and big massive frizzy hair.

Thanks son, friendship sealed for life

Lemontwist Sat 22-Jun-19 23:49:05

I'm glad you made that second post @TheHandsOfNeilBuchanan as I was really trying to work out that relationship shockgrin

Parttimewasteoftime Sat 22-Jun-19 23:50:04

Nice cake Mum bit more taste needed next time 🎂

TyneTeas Sat 22-Jun-19 23:53:37

dd aged about 6

"Mam, you are really pretty ... Well pretty enough for Dad anyway"

We are still not sure which of us fares worse with that!

cantsleep1 Sat 22-Jun-19 23:56:05

Haha🤣 most mornings before I get ready my 5 year old will say "mummy why don't you have your make up on yet" thanks mate 😊

RubberTreePlant Sun 23-Jun-19 00:12:47

Well pretty enough for Dad anyway"
😂😂😂

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in