Talk

Advanced search

Teachers said my DD didn't have enough to eat

(396 Posts)
StoppinBy Fri 01-Mar-19 23:18:16

First off I think I am BU at how much I let this upset me for personal reasons but I am seeking clarification on whether I actually do send her enough.

When I picked up DD6 the teacher in charge at the time said to me that one of DD's teachers had said that I wasn't sending enough for her to eat, yesterday she had :

A vegemite sandwich, two cherry tomatoes, an apple, a chunk of cheese cut off the block and a big handful of nuts, she brought home a cherry tomato, some of her crust and some of her nuts .

The reasoning behind saying she didn't have enough food was that she had eaten her sandwich and a tomato and her cheese at 'snack time' - 11am and then had her nuts and apple at lunch - 1pm. Apparently she often does this.

We usually have lunch at 11:30 - 12 at home to fit around DS's naps so personally I can't see the issue with how she ate and I feel that if she was actually hungry that she would eat everything in her lunch box but she regularly brings stuff home.

AIBU to think that she does have enough food and that the teachers are actually wrong or do most kids eat more than that?

OwlinaTree Fri 01-Mar-19 23:20:17

Maybe the teacher didn't know how much she'd eaten at snack time and though all she had was an apple and nuts?

GerryblewuptheER Fri 01-Mar-19 23:20:39

If she was hungry shed have finished it.

Sounds fine to me.

Cheese and nuts have alot of protein and fat. Its more filling.

ChakiraChakra Fri 01-Mar-19 23:21:27

I guess if you're worried send her with more food, and see if she eats it. But if she's bringing stuff back, and it's stuff she's had some of then it doesn't seem like that's a problem.

How about making her a round and a half of sandwich?

Littlefish Fri 01-Mar-19 23:22:38

Maybe dd had told her teacher that she was hungry in the afternoon?

StoppinBy Fri 01-Mar-19 23:22:40

@owlinatree she actually told me that DD had eaten her lunch at snack and then only had her snack to eat at lunch so they did know she had eaten the sandwich at snack.

FamilyOfAliens Fri 01-Mar-19 23:22:52

Perhaps she came into the lunch hall with a lunchbox containing just an apple and some nuts, so that’s all they saw?

What did you say to the teacher? Did you explain she’d already eaten most of her packed lunch at morning break?

(To be honest, I think it’s a shame she spends her break time eating instead of playing with her friends).

SwimmingJustKeepSwimming Fri 01-Mar-19 23:23:07

Can you send nuts to your school!? (So not the point)

Id send more and see if she eats it. Maybe a savoury muffin or cake.

Is she underweight?

angelikacpickles Fri 01-Mar-19 23:23:15

I think that sounds like plenty - my 5 and 8 year olds bring less than that.

babycatcher411 Fri 01-Mar-19 23:24:05

Is she eating stuff for pack up that she eats at home? Are you happy she likes what you pack her, is it possible to left stuff because she doesn’t like it, thus ended up hungry?

SwimmingJustKeepSwimming Fri 01-Mar-19 23:24:49

Could she do with more breakfast so she doesnt need so much at snack?

Ours are only allowed veg/fruit at snack (a whole other issue) but cant eat their lunch!

StoppinBy Fri 01-Mar-19 23:25:13

I feel it's enough food, to be honest I was more upset that they had 'noticed' me 'neglecting' my child by apparently not sending in enough food so I was wondering what other parents thought of how much she was eating/getting for the day.

DD actually told the teacher she wasn't hungry so I genuinely think it's something that they thought was a problem and not DD.

FamilyOfAliens Fri 01-Mar-19 23:26:05

Did they use the word “neglect”?

FamilyOfAliens Fri 01-Mar-19 23:27:48

How about giving her a bigger breakfast so that she doesn’t spend her break time eating, and can have a play with her friends and a run around?

Msgiggles30 Fri 01-Mar-19 23:28:46

I am a teacher and couldnt imagine our children going to get thier sandwich out for snack time, most schools only allow fruit for snack and then provide milk/water. It sounds like enough to me but maybe could add extra fruit so she could say have fruit and cheese at snack and specify the rest for lunch

lazymare Fri 01-Mar-19 23:29:58

I don't think you should be sending nuts into school.

SwimmingJustKeepSwimming Fri 01-Mar-19 23:30:21

Yep its possibly the getting her lunch out at snack time and only having apple and nuts for "lunch" that is concerning them.

StoppinBy Fri 01-Mar-19 23:30:37

They get a set amount of time to eat once the bell goes and then the 'play' bell goes and they go out to play.

She won't eat any more breakfast that she already does (we usually have banana porridge).

She is not underweight, a perfectly healthy weight.

They eat in the classroom so always with the same teachers with them.

Yes they can take nuts - the current allergies in her class at the moment are some GF children and a child who is allergic to fruit and vegetables so they teach the children food safety/ hand washing after eating etc rather than exclude foods.

DD doesn't eat cake or muffins (never has but loves eating the batter wink ).

lazymare Fri 01-Mar-19 23:30:42

I am a teacher and couldnt imagine our children going to get thier sandwich out for snack time, most schools only allow fruit for snack and then provide milk/water.

Utter bollocks.

Msgiggles30 Fri 01-Mar-19 23:31:01

I actually think that's a really healthy lunch. Im an adult (an overweight one at that) and all id have for lunch is a wholemeal sandwich one peice of fruit and maybe a youghrt. Ive had children literally have one pain au chocolat as thier whole lunch now that would worry me not this

Drogosnextwife Fri 01-Mar-19 23:32:05

Sounds like plenty too me, just stick an extra thing in infuture then if she is hungry she will eat it, if not and she leaves a lot every day cut it back again and tell the teacher she's coming home with food that's wasted because she's not hungry.

SwimmingJustKeepSwimming Fri 01-Mar-19 23:32:34

Lazymare

Why bollocks? Its the norm in schools around here. I wasn't keen but kids have been fine with it.

Msgiggles30 Fri 01-Mar-19 23:32:39

How so lazymare?

StoppinBy Fri 01-Mar-19 23:32:44

@lazymare, thank you so much for your helpful advice... should I also not send fruit and vegetables and there is a child in her class who is allergic to most fruit and vegetables?

SwimmingJustKeepSwimming Fri 01-Mar-19 23:34:24

Yep you'd think theyd ve looking more at the kid with a leftover mcdonalds every day.... or just a packet of crisps!

And porridge sounds a good breakfast, and not underweight! Mayve just send some extra bits in for a while and if they get left stop again?

Holidayshopping Fri 01-Mar-19 23:35:20

I’m a teacher and the packed lunches are stored in the dinner hall away from the class do children couldn’t just open them at break time.

We have snack time where they are given fruit.

lazymare Fri 01-Mar-19 23:35:19

It was the most schools comment. As if it is unusual for children to be able to access their bags at break.

StoppinBy Fri 01-Mar-19 23:36:17

Given that snack is 3 hours after breakfast and lunch is 5 hours after breakfast it actually makes sense to me that she eats her sandwich at snack then has her snack at lunch which is only 2 hours before the end of school then when she gets home she eats what's left in her lunch box and a snack depending on what she had left in her lunch box.

Msgiggles30 Fri 01-Mar-19 23:36:23

I currently teach eyfs so I do get away with giving some wholemeal toast alongside as some of our children really need it but generally if the school follow 'healthy schools' it will be fruit or veg. I am in Wales so milk is provided free N to Yr2

Holidayshopping Fri 01-Mar-19 23:36:47

As if it is unusual for children to be able to access their bags at break.

It is!

It’s extremely unusual for KS1 children to access their lunchbox at playtime.

lazymare Fri 01-Mar-19 23:36:49

Stoppinby - I'm going to use most schools thing now and say that they tend to be nut free. I'm not the first to raise that on this thread.

lazymare Fri 01-Mar-19 23:37:14

It is not unusual at all in Scotland.

ineedaholidaynow Fri 01-Mar-19 23:37:31

Maybe as she is eating most of her lunch at snack time they think you are not feeding her breakfast.

FoxFoxSierra Fri 01-Mar-19 23:38:20

That seems like plenty of food to me! I give my DC's a sandwich or wrap, a piece of fruit and a yogurt and they usually bring some back

angelikacpickles Fri 01-Mar-19 23:38:52

I am a teacher and couldnt imagine our children going to get thier sandwich out for snack time, most schools only allow fruit for snack and then provide milk/water.

@Msgiggles30 Why on earth does the school care what the children eat when, once they do it within the allotted time?

Comefromaway Fri 01-Mar-19 23:39:16

My son is at secondary and is a bit like that. He can’t eat much for breakfast his appetite doesn’t kick in until he’s been up a few hours so he tends to eat his packed lunch at break time, a snack at lunchtime and then eats as soon as he gets home from school.

My daughter on the other hand feels sick if she doesn’t eat a substantial breakfast as soon as she gets up. She’ll have no mid morning snack, a decent lunch then an apple in the afternoon.

As long as over the course of the day they are eating roughly the right amount does it matter exactly when.

YouTheCat Fri 01-Mar-19 23:39:54

That sounds like lovely snacks and lunch. It's up to your dd which order she wishes to eat her food in and so long as she's not hungry it's bugger all to do with school.

I've seen kids have 2 bags of crisps for lunch, or a packet of biscuits. One even brought in leftover chips once. Most of the packed lunches I see are huge and full of utter shite.

Notcontent Fri 01-Mar-19 23:39:57

Some schools do allow nuts - I believe there is a view that banning foods that some children might be allergic to is not that helpful, as they will obviously be exposed to them outside of the school environment.

I used to always eat most of my lunch at “morning tea” time (this was in Australia).

Dementedswan Fri 01-Mar-19 23:40:08

In our school the children are offered a variety of fruit and a carton of milk around 10.15. They then have lunch at 12. They certainly don't have access to lunchboxes at milk and fruit time confused lunch time is lunch time! They also have access to milk from a fridge and fruit during play times and lunch provided by our pta.

StoppinBy Fri 01-Mar-19 23:42:01

To clarify we are in Australia, children take a packed lunch and snack, we do not have a communal eating hall or canteen and the school don't supply any food unless on special occasions.

Notcontent Fri 01-Mar-19 23:42:31

The OP might not be in the UK...

Msgiggles30 Fri 01-Mar-19 23:42:47

Same here holiday although in KS2 yes they probabaly could do this but in KS1/FP here we give out the milks as children go out so can tell what they are getting from thier bags. N and YR have snack altogether and its provided.
However this is a digression and I dont see an issue OP but understand why it has upset you. Ive found that children with lunchboxes packed full eat even less as some are overwhelmed. In one 4 year olds lunch there was a sauage roll, a sandwich, crisps, cake bar, fruit winder, banana and grapes. This child would eat hardly anything we chatted to mum as she was worried about him not eating and he ate much more with a normal amount of choice!

Notcontent Fri 01-Mar-19 23:43:10

Ah, I was going to say Australia !

arethereanyleftatall Fri 01-Mar-19 23:43:29

That's a great lunch. Ignore.

Msgiggles30 Fri 01-Mar-19 23:45:52

Not sure angelica! However our snack is 10.15 and lunch 12.00 so would seem early to eat if had a good breakfast. Some of mine wouldnt receive breakfast hence why I am rebel and give wholemeal bread sometimes grin. I guess its just a social norm which schools fall in to

FamilyOfAliens Fri 01-Mar-19 23:48:18

In the UK most infant children get free fruit / veg at breaktime, so there’s no need to go and get their lunchbox out at breaktine.

Girlzroolz Fri 01-Mar-19 23:48:45

I’m actually a bit envious that your school allows nut products! No (known) nut allergies at our school, but blanket ban all the same.

From what I know about nut allergies it wouldn’t be enough to ban them from specific classrooms only? I thought it was still dangerous for kids to play together, use the same drink taps, etc if some have nut allergies?

Anyway, nothing wrong with your packed lunch, or your dd’s actions. Frankly I’d ignore the school and carry on without giving it brainspace. With a younger child I’d be tempted to photograph the full lunchbox at home, but at 6yo your dd can explain what she ate and when. Her friends could bear witness, too.

For fun I might look up govt guidelines for nutrition for her age (I’m sure they exist with pretty pics of ‘ideal’ school lunches too). I’d be fairly sure your lunchbox is above the standard for calories & nutrition. Good info to have in your back pocket, in case it comes up again.

FamilyOfAliens Fri 01-Mar-19 23:49:42

OP, I did ask but you didn’t answer, did the teacher actually use the word “neglect” as you mentioned upthread?

Shellery Fri 01-Mar-19 23:49:54

OP: Given that snack is 3 hours after breakfast and lunch is 5 hours after breakfast it actually makes sense to me that she eats her sandwich at snack then has her snack at lunch which is only 2 hours before the end of school then when she gets home she eats what's left in her lunch box and a snack depending on what she had left in her lunch box."

Surely it makes more sense that she wouldn't be as hungry for the main part of her lunch (the sandwich) 3 hours after breakfast? confused

If she's eating the main part of her lunch at morning snack it does sound like she's a bit hungrier than usual at morning snack time.

Could you try sending her with (as PP have suggested) two rounds of sandwiches or a round and a half, for a while just to see what she eats/what's leftover so you can judge how she gets on with extra food?

angelikacpickles Fri 01-Mar-19 23:51:22

@Msgiggles30

Most schools here don't provide any food - similar to the AU system the OP has described, so the kids eat whatever they want out of their lunch boxes at each of the two breaks. Didn't realise kids who bring packed lunches in UK schools don't have access to them at snack time.

janetforpresident Fri 01-Mar-19 23:54:27

It’s extremely unusual for KS1 children to access their lunchbox at playtime
My ds can so it's not impossible.

Ok rather than being offended I would just take is as the school telling you that your child is hungrier than perhaps you had realised. Perhaps throw in an extra snack and tell dd she should save her sandwich for lunch but can eat a couple.of the snack bits for her breaktime snack.

I don't think there's any implication that you are neglecting just that she is eating more than you think.

I know this is so not the point of the thread but why don't you just put her down for ger free school dinners and save yourself all this hassle?

FamilyOfAliens Fri 01-Mar-19 23:54:52

Didn't realise kids who bring packed lunches in UK schools don't have access to them at snack time.

Children in our school are allowed to bring some fruit or veg to eat at breaktime if they don’t get some through the free fruit and veg scheme.

Whyyounoeatmypie Fri 01-Mar-19 23:56:21

I think your daughter should eat what she wants when she wants from the selection of balanced food you've provided her! It sounds like she's self-regulating her food intake very well withun the healthy boundaries you're setting.

Msgiggles30 Fri 01-Mar-19 23:57:03

Angelica, Ours do have access if they really want to but it just seems inbuilt that they go get their 'snack' out of them. Snack seems to be deemed as fruit etc by the parents too as often in a separate pot. Also i guess they associate it with fruit/veg/milk as they are used to that in thier first 2 years of schooling as we have the circle time altogether and chat whilst having snack. Again I think its down to social and cultrual norms so this thread has been interesting to find out how things differ in different countries smile

DauntlessFaction Fri 01-Mar-19 23:57:27

My daughters school and a few locally that my friends children attend only allow fruit at snack time.

StoppinBy Fri 01-Mar-19 23:58:26

@aliens, no they did not, as previously stated, for personal reasons this is a touchy subject for me and for the teacher to feel the need to say something to me then clearly they are suggesting that I am neglecting a basic need of my daughters..... to actually feed her.

Break is at 11am, we usually have lunch at 11:30/12 at home so her being ready for lunch at 11am rather than waiting until 1pm seems pretty reasonable to me?

Ours is an 'active learning' school, children are always moving about and on the go, not sitting at desks so after three hours I also feel it is reasonable for her to be hungry.

StoppinBy Sat 02-Mar-19 00:02:07

@janet, but she is bringing food home almost every day, doesn't that seem to say that she isn't hungry?

Wouldn't she be eating all her food is she was hungry? As above even yesterday she brought home some of her nuts, a tomato and some crust, these are all things (apart from the crust) that she likes to eat.

StBernard Sat 02-Mar-19 00:02:39

StoppinBy my dc aren't at school in Uk either, and similar to yours take a snack and a lunch. My ds is 4, for snack he has a croissant or half a sandwich and an apple. For lunch he has some carrot sticks, some cucumber and a banana. Sometimes he eats the other half of his sandwich, sometimes not. My 6yo is opposite and eats little at break and most at lunchtime. Surely kids are all different and as long as they are satisfied (which it sounds like she is if she's leaving bits) then it doesn't matter.

LittleBirdBlues Sat 02-Mar-19 00:06:11

How odd that they would mention this to you. Maybe add a pack of oatcakes so she can have that at snack time with some fruit, leaving her the sandwich for lunch.

Yabbers Sat 02-Mar-19 00:13:44

In the UK most infant children get free fruit / veg at breaktime, so there’s no need to go and get their lunchbox out at breaktine.

Not in Scotland they don't.

MarcusDidius Sat 02-Mar-19 00:14:11

@StoppinBy At 6 yo, is your daughter in Kindergarten (or its equivalent in your state)?

I used to teach primary classes in NSW. The first year I taught Yr 3, I thought it was interesting that the children, just up from the infant's department, used to called their playlunch "little lunch" to differentiate the two and stop them from eating their main lunch at recess. So, from my experience, your daughter's teacher should perhaps be emphasising what to eat and when to eat it, and if your daughter chooses to eat her sandwich at recess, so be it.

I did teach in some schools where we ate with the children to make sure that they were actually eating, but in your daughter's case, I would have ignored a single incident, especially as the evidence of her crusts showed she had actually had a sandwich.

Don't take it to heart. I don't know if it's the case here, but a lot of inexperienced teachers can handle things poorly.

StoppinBy Sat 02-Mar-19 00:17:16

@Marcus she is in Grade 1 - I think that's equal to prep in NSW.

Gone4Good Sat 02-Mar-19 00:18:54

It was the vegemite sandwich that gave away that it was Australia for me.

YouBumder Sat 02-Mar-19 00:22:49

If she’s bringing food home she’s clearly not going hungry. I’d try to discourage her eating the bulk of her lunch at break though. It’s all very well saying what you do at home but she’s at school 5 days a week, it’s fair enough to have a different routine there to the 2 days at home.

At the schools mine have gone to lunch and snack are packed separately as the lunch is put on a trolley and given back at lunchtime. They have their snack in their bag for breaks.

Gone4Good Sat 02-Mar-19 00:22:52

Here in the U.S. - well at the school mine went to anyway - their lunch boxes were stored in the same place they kept their coats and so they could snack whenever they wanted to.

MarcusDidius Sat 02-Mar-19 00:30:56

@StoppinBy I actually never taught infants, the youngest I taught was Yr 3 which meant it was their fourth year in school, and their first in primary.

Both Year 3 classes I taught were very bright - the school was very large and streamed for ability/independence, etc - and they still called their playlunch "little lunch" so obviously the school saw the need to use the right through their three years of infant's school.

All I can say is heaven preserve us from officious teachers. I've certainly seen enough of those, and, sadly, probably did my fair share of it back in the day.

dreichuplands Sat 02-Mar-19 00:31:18

I would throw in a banana and something like a bag of pretzels for a while. If she isn't hungry she will leave them. If all the teacher has seen is nuts and toms at lunch she may have been worried.
Or talking to my DC some DC bring mini sandwiches for snack as well as lunch. A couple of others nibble on sandwiches at lunch and then again for lunch. (Also US)

HennyPennyHorror Sat 02-Mar-19 01:07:24

My DD does this too OP. She always eats more at 11 than she does at lunchtime. At lunch she'll just have a cracker and a piece of fruit...nobody's said a word and DD's been doing it for years...she's almost 11.

HennyPennyHorror Sat 02-Mar-19 01:08:35

For ref. DD has a peanut butter sandwich, a muffin or cereal bar sometimes, two crackers with butter and either some grapes or strawberries.

incywincybitofa Sat 02-Mar-19 01:20:13

My son is a child whose appetite grows through the day asking him to have breakfast is taken by him as a declaration of war. By dinner time he'll feast like a king.
My daughter feasts at breakfast and winds down her eating through the day. She has 3-4 courses for breakfast, a large school provided snack at a time that would be lunch here, then school lunch, a snack after school but getting her to eat more than a few forkfulls at dinner stretches my will to live.
Children just have different eating habits if that teacher hasn't spotted it yet she will.

singwhenyoureswimming Sat 02-Mar-19 01:20:54

Gone are the days of 10p crisps at break time then?

Tangy Toms and Bikers used to get me through an intense game of girls chase the boys.

HennyPennyHorror Sat 02-Mar-19 01:39:10

Sing do you remember Football Crazies?? They were gorgeous.

StoppinBy Sat 02-Mar-19 01:49:13

@gone4good, lol, my DD loves the stuff, I will eat it only of I have to.

Haha, I remember when I was a kid that anyone who got a dry pack of 2 minute noodles for lunch was considered to be lucky - everyone wanted them.

lilabet2 Sat 02-Mar-19 01:49:59

I used to be sent to school with just a sandwich and small container of water in the 90s and had very doting, caring parents!

It sounds fine!

IncrediblySadToo Sat 02-Mar-19 01:54:56

Whatever the back story is, don’t let this upset you. Just be ready next time and say ‘DD eats when she’s hungry, not when others deem it to be the correct time. She has plenty of food for the day as she brings some home each day’. Be firm.

It doesn’t matter how much anyone else’s child takes, yours is bringing food (she likes) home each day.

Don’t let the past give you doubts.

WendyCope Sat 02-Mar-19 02:09:20

Sounds a great lunch to me flowers

Have the same problem with my (skinny) DD, people think I don't feed her enough!

I really do! She eats A LOT!

OwlBeThere Sat 02-Mar-19 02:43:37

She prefers to eat her lunch earlier. simple as that, they're getting their knickers in a knot about nothing!

flumpybear Sat 02-Mar-19 03:04:26

Sounds like a healthy lunch, but is your child hungry or playing up/not concentrating because she's hungry but she's t want what's left over?

I had to send DS with an afternoon snack whilst he was about 5-6 years old as he was visibly 'hangry' and upsetting the class in afternoons (our kids have school lunches, cooked including pudding) so would send in something he would eat like cheese and crackers for pm snack

Margot33 Sat 02-Mar-19 03:21:54

Ask her if she needs an extra sandwich or something else (soup/crackers) at dinner time. She will tell you.

SnagAndChips Sat 02-Mar-19 03:39:46

We are also in Aus and my kids always tell me that the eat most of their food at at snack. They have 10 mins to eat at lunchtime before the bell goes to go out and play, so most kids eat everything.

Our school sometimes make a jam sandwich if a kid has forgotten lunch, but otherwise assume kids have enough food.
I'm surprised a teacher is that bothered.

mathanxiety Sat 02-Mar-19 03:40:28

Teachers in primary school used to comment that I was thin, and I was. My mum had bulimia/ weight dysmorphia issues and took it as a compliment.

I used to have a sandwich made mostly from home made brown bread with either Marmite or cheese plus butter, a piece of fruit from the garden in season, and either a Clubmilk, a rice krispie bun, or a small packet of crisps to do for lunch and snack, plus a drink of water. I had a flask and sometimes brought tomato soup. Even though I insisted on a breakfast of a toast sandwich with four fish fingers, butter and lemon juice I was ravenous a lot of the time.

We ate in our classrooms as we had no communal eating area, and no cooking or heating facilities so no school food. This is still the case in primary schools in Ireland afaik.

What you pack is nutritious as far as it goes, but not very substantial. Would your DD eat an individual pot of hummus with carrot sticks and bread sticks for snack, or rolled up deli meats and cheese with bread sticks? Or a pot of Greek yogurt and some fruit?
There is very little protein in the breakfast, snack and lunch foods you described. Protein tends to be quite filling.

* Ignore if this doesn't apply! *
If the issues you hint at are anything to do with an eating disorder, please try to err on the side of sending too much rather than letting an ED get in the way of feeding your DD enough.

Decormad38 Sat 02-Mar-19 03:42:48

That sounds like a nice healthy well balanced lunch.

IAmNotAWitch Sat 02-Mar-19 03:45:10

It is more than both of mine take DS1 (15) has vegemite and cheese sandwich plus banana. DS2 (8) has same (but no cheese) and also pot cherry tomatoes.

They both have breakfast and and something when they get in followed by dinner at around 6ish.

Both big strapping boys so I can't imagine a 6 year old girl needs more.

Shove a muesli bar in there if it will shut them up. She doesn't have to eat it if she doesn't want to.

Patienceisvirtuous Sat 02-Mar-19 03:50:23

I’d stick in a banana too. Or a pressed fruit/nut bar.

masktaster Sat 02-Mar-19 04:04:29

There is very little protein in the breakfast, snack and lunch foods you described. Protein tends to be quite filling

Nuts and cheese are great sources of protein, as is porridge if made with milk...

Nothinglefttochoose Sat 02-Mar-19 04:12:04

I think she needs more. My daughter would be starving with just that. But it’s great healthy food so maybe just give her more?

ElliotBoy Sat 02-Mar-19 04:15:36

Sounds like a school of immense privilege. I'm in New Zealand and this would be so trivial as to be laughable as around 20per cent of children have very little or no lunch.

IAmNotAWitch Sat 02-Mar-19 04:17:46

Not to mention the fat/protein in butter and if the bread is wholemeal there will be some in there are well.

I would caution against an additional banana if she isn't likely to eat it. A banana that has been sitting in an enclosed plastic container for 6 hours in 30+ degrees is not nice for the Mum who opens that box. grin

It is even worse if said lunchbox slips your mind at the start of Christmas school holidays...envy <-- not envy.

My two eat their banana for Recess, Sandwich (and DS2 toms) at lunch.

cherrryontop Sat 02-Mar-19 04:18:46

It is enough for one meal but if she's eating some at snack time then I would put a couple more things in.

Maybe A yoghurt, crackers to go with the cheese, banana, mini malt loaf?

IAmNotAWitch Sat 02-Mar-19 04:18:49

Wholegrain rather than wholemeal before the protein obsessives lose their minds.

TwoShades1 Sat 02-Mar-19 04:19:44

It sounds fine to me. Maybe try sending something extra and see if it gets eaten? Veg sticks with hummus? Crackers to go with the cheese? Cereal bar? I do hate the dictating of what time people eat and what they have to eat. Personally I try to follow an intuitive style of eating, so I eat when hungry regardless of the “time” and what meal I’m “expected” to have.

mathanxiety Sat 02-Mar-19 05:23:06

Nuts and cheese are great sources of protein, as is porridge if made with milk...

There's not much in what the OP describes even though she does include sources of protein. You would have to eat a lot more than she says she gives her DD in the environment she describes to fill her up. More protein = less hunger.

grinningcheshirecat Sat 02-Mar-19 05:44:27

Op, did you explain that snack time is closer to your lunch time at home? What did the teacher say when you explained that?

SwimmingJustKeepSwimming Sat 02-Mar-19 05:47:22

Ah the "little lunch" comments are making sense. My kids watch an imported Aus programme called "little lunch" and it took a while for us to work out it was what we called break..... simply as quite a few seem to have their lunch !

Kneehigim Sat 02-Mar-19 05:54:52

I find little ones won't eat an apple unless it's chopped up for them. Cutted up pear if you will grin.
Grapes/strawberries/banana/peeled orange/satsuma/plum etc. might be more likely to be eaten.
I would send an extra sandwich going forward. When they're active, they can really need carbs.
Fwiw, something similar happened to me, though the teacher didn't tell me about it. Dd came home (she would have had 1 slice of bread made into a sandwich, a cheese string and a yoghurt and some grapes) and told me that she had been so hungry at school that teacher had to give her some of her lunch! shock I was absolutely mortified and from then on she got two slices of bread made into a sandwich along with everything else.
It was really kind of the teacher to have shared her lunch bless her. I'd have been beside myself if she had mentioned it to me though!

nanny3 Sat 02-Mar-19 06:08:10

I give mine a small sandwich for snack as well as fruit sometimes he eats it other times not

IAmNotAWitch Sat 02-Mar-19 06:12:41

Apples take too long according to my two. Time that could be spent doing better things.

ukgift2016 Sat 02-Mar-19 06:25:27

I have a 6 year old DD. It doesn't sound a lot of food and my DD would be hungry with that lunch...my DD is a healthy weight but is very active.

StoppinBy Sat 02-Mar-19 06:38:36

Yes we make porridge with milk (whole milk if anyone was wondering), yes we use grain bread, sandwiches are usually made with deli meats but we had run out the day before, our cheese is also full fat.

No she wont eat hummus at all or yoghurt at school and repeatedly brings yoghurt home when I have sent them or opens them, eats a small bit and puts the rest back...... where it makes a stinky mess that I have to clean up hmm

Her favourite fruit is apples and she has no problems eating those whole.

The problem isn't that she is hungry.... she brings food home most days, the issue the teachers seem to have is with WHEN not WHAT she is eating.

When the teacher brought it up with me it was right after she also gave me a 'talking to' about not packing my DD's hat (which in actuality was in her bag and DD had somehow not seen it when they were going for a class walk but told me she wore it at snack and lunch) so I was already taken aback, I did tell her what was in there and that she usually brings food home and she replied 'well that's something the two of you (DD and I) will need to work out' and then implied she had somewhere else to be, which actually makes no sense to me because neither of us have an issue with it and the school does.

From what I gather on this thread her lunch/snack is perfectly normal and I am not going to send in extra foods when she doesn't usually eat what she has in the first place, I will find out which teacher brought it up on Monday and bring it up with them directly to find out why they personally thought it was a problem.

Thank you all for your replies.

TildaTurnip Sat 02-Mar-19 06:40:10

More protein = less hunger
But the child isn’t hungry so what’s been packed is enough.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »