Talk

Advanced search

SAHM/Homemakers - What do you do all day?

(997 Posts)
Fruem Tue 16-Jan-18 20:31:06

Those who choose to be a SAHM/homemaker, who don’t ‘have’ to work, what do you do all day?!

I’m talking the SAHM’s who don’t work from home. Who don’t have to look after the kids all day etc.

If you’ve done cleaning/washing/shopping etc. How do you fill your day?

liz70 Tue 16-Jan-18 21:03:09

grin Lana.

streetlife70s Tue 16-Jan-18 21:03:14

You lot must be on a wind up. When I was a full time SAHM I never had a moment where i wasn’t doing either shopping for food, cooking, cleaning, ironing, washing, sorting out finances, insurance, calling HMRC etc before kids needed school run, homework, baths etc. It took over my life. It was so lonely and full on I couldn’t wait to go back to work. How anyone finds the time to do anything else is beyond me. I had no time and I went to work for the bloody break!

formerbabe Tue 16-Jan-18 21:04:22

Pagwatch

I have a DD who is into crafts...there's a lot of sequins about and a DS who plays a lot of football...there's tiny bits of AstroTurf everywhere when he's been out playing!

AnachronisticCorpse Tue 16-Jan-18 21:04:25

Up at 6, make DH’s sarnies.

Have a fag, let the dog out, take a coffee back to bed to read/internet for a bit.

Get the kids up at 7. Shoo the eldest two out of the door at 7.30, get the youngest dressed and sorted and then either cycle to school with DS2 or walk with the dog.

Home for 9-9.30 depending on walk/cycle situation, except Tuesdays when I volunteer until midday and Thursdays when I go to weighwatchers.

Then I drink lots of coffee, do as little housework as I can get away with to stop us dying of dirt, watch tv, make dolls houses, maybe have a cheeky wank in the afternoon if the mood takes me. Sometimes pop to the shops or take the dog out, occasionally go to the cinema if the timings are right. Bit of reading, gardening in the good weather, cooking or prepping for dinner.

Then I pick the youngest up at three, the biggies come in at 3.40, DH comes in at 4.30 and I do dinner. Teens wash up, DH does bedtime, I clock off at about 6.30.

I think I’ve covered everything?

StealthPolarBear Tue 16-Jan-18 21:04:45

Bloody hell glitterati I feel tired reading that

Pagwatch Tue 16-Jan-18 21:04:50

Doesn't matter what the thread, I like talking about bits.

Pagwatch Tue 16-Jan-18 21:06:48

That's it then Formerbabe, embrace it.
Spend your life with every outfit decorated with green and sparkly bits

One day you could get green and sequinned carpet...

You could work this

UrsulaPandress Tue 16-Jan-18 21:06:51

Faffing shouldn't make you sad.

I love a good faff.

Viviennemary Tue 16-Jan-18 21:07:53

The best time to be an SAHM IMHO is when your DC's have left home. No school runs to interrupt your days off. So it will be coffees out lunches out, crafting, meeting friends or walking the dog, holidays and anything else you like. It's a hard life to be sure.

jwpetal Tue 16-Jan-18 21:08:16

I clean, cook/prepare for all meals, take children to hospital appointments, volunteer at the school and as a new mother support person, exercise, food shop, do campaign work, run errands. Manage the household bills and budget. From time to time, I meet friends or do something special.

This year is the first year where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have started to look for part time work. My husband works very long hours and we have no family for support so my options are limited...by choice.

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Tue 16-Jan-18 21:08:17

I'm currently on mat leave with DS (6m), and I cook, go for hikes with him in the sling, go to baby group, potter about National Trust properties, I'm learning a 3rd language, I volunteer (computer-based from home), and do various bits of housework/laundry (which seems never-ending!). I also read and watch TV.

TBH I couldn't do this full-time, I feel like my brain is atrophying by the day - I love DS but I'll be happy to work part-time.

Pagwatch Tue 16-Jan-18 21:08:45

Look!

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Tue 16-Jan-18 21:08:49

ursula

But ive done nothing but faff since the children went back to school

I dont seem to be able to get off the sofa

I will hold out for February grin

StealthPolarBear Tue 16-Jan-18 21:08:52

Isn't that retirement? My Dc's are primary aged but I'm dreaming about it

Pagwatch Tue 16-Jan-18 21:09:18

TheMaddHugger Tue 16-Jan-18 21:09:33

did a lot of volunteer work. Meals on wheels, etc

formerbabe Tue 16-Jan-18 21:11:42

My ds would love that rug!

Oh, did I mention I have shiny kitchen floor tiles bastard previous owner. They NEVER look clean...and the kitchen is big. It's hellish

God, my life is being destroyed by flooring!!!! Help

happytobemrsg Tue 16-Jan-18 21:12:40

I watch dvds, lots of family time with DH as he works strange hours, bit of housework. Currently overseeing renovations to the house / garden. DS is 18 months

gillybeanz Tue 16-Jan-18 21:13:16

I'm working pt now, but was a sahm for 25 years, quite a lot of this was when dc were at school.
Cleaning, washing and shopping were fit into my day of hobbies and interests.
I am not one to get nails done, go o the gym, or coffee with friends much.
I spent time with my dh as he's home a lot, 3 years home educating one of our kids, theatre, cinema, arts centres, music festivals etc.

CheggarsPlaysPlop Tue 16-Jan-18 21:13:27

You lucky, lucky bastards

happytobemrsg Tue 16-Jan-18 21:13:37

I also go play group twice a week & see family with DS in tow

Babyroobs Tue 16-Jan-18 21:14:11

I watch Jeremy Kyle and drink lots of Gin.

Pagwatch Tue 16-Jan-18 21:14:27

Formerbabe

Ignore the floor.
Repeat after me : ignore the floor.
The floor is a bore ignore the floor

<whispers> literally no one else cares. You can leave it and have a sit down.

I'm watching the box set of Greys Anatomy. It's THIRTEEN series of utter junk. It's great 👍

ClosdesMouches Tue 16-Jan-18 21:14:30

I feel as if I have less time than I did when I was working FT, two hour commute, caring for an elderly parent, studying PT for a degree and running a larger house.

Nowadays I don’t get much done.
Ideally I’d cook nearly everything from scratch, have the house looking great, find time to exercise, go out for lunch, read a lot and finally finish that degree.
I do WFH but it’s only 5 hours a week. No idea where the time goes.

GrouchyKiwi Tue 16-Jan-18 21:14:38

I only hate faffing when DH is doing it. When I'm faffing it's a necessary thing for health or something.

I contemplate fairly regularly how wonderful it would be to have the house to myself in the daytime. I would clean! And bake! And read a book without constant interruptions! And I would garden without wondering which of my children is going to poke themselves in the eye with a small garden fork.

And then I wonder why I was such a fucking idiot to decide it would be better for the children to be home educated, but at least we don't have to get up early in the morning. I love my sweet darlings who don't wake before 8am.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »