Talk

Advanced search

SAHM/Homemakers - What do you do all day?

(997 Posts)
Fruem Tue 16-Jan-18 20:31:06

Those who choose to be a SAHM/homemaker, who don’t ‘have’ to work, what do you do all day?!

I’m talking the SAHM’s who don’t work from home. Who don’t have to look after the kids all day etc.

If you’ve done cleaning/washing/shopping etc. How do you fill your day?

DancingOnRainbows Tue 16-Jan-18 20:52:51

Well, I work a whole 6 hours a week but...

I'm studying for a degree
I exercise
I volunteer at school
I craft
I clean
I go shopping
I spend stupid amounts of time on mumsnet grin

PeppaPigTastesLikeBacon Tue 16-Jan-18 20:53:35

It’s my dream to be a stay at home mum. My chronic illness is made worse by stress. My job is stressful and is leading to anxiety but I can’t afford to not work whilst I have a child in nursery.

If I was a stay at home mum (after the novelty wore off) then I would probably spend my time between jobs - cooking, cleaning etc, coffee, ecercise. I would probably sleep a lot too grin

StealthPolarBear Tue 16-Jan-18 20:54:02

Sorry to be repetitive but Oliver how far away is the school?
I agree though the actual primary school day is short

Pagwatch Tue 16-Jan-18 20:54:12

Formerbabe
I find the washing endless but I rarely iron anymore.
I have to use a tumble dryer because I can't line dry (children's allergies) and I'm now religious about taking clothes out of the drier at the exact point at which they can be given a good shake and folded. Especially the children's clothes.
I do minimal ironing in front a crappy box set. It feels less like work then
Maybe wear sunglasses in door so you don't see carpet bits grin

Tullula Tue 16-Jan-18 20:55:15

Stealth polar bear. They’re in school 9-4pm
But by time I’ve taken them there - then picked them up realistically I have 9.30-3.30pm to myself.

LuluJakey1 Tue 16-Jan-18 20:55:18

Not much really.
Bake lovely cakes
Cook cordeon bleu meals for DH when he returns from a hard day at work
Arrange the flowers in the hall, drawing room and morning room
Prepare menus for the next few days
WI on Wednesday afternons
Write my letters between 9 and 10am
Garden
Supervise the cleaner, make sure she keeps ontop of the linen cupboard, silver poishing etc
DD and DS just occupy themselves quietly in another room

UrsulaPandress Tue 16-Jan-18 20:55:25

Muck out the horse.
Walk the dog
Read the paper
Do the crossword
Faff
Faff sone more
Lunch with friends
Coffee with friends
Stare into space

RowenasDiadem Tue 16-Jan-18 20:55:49

Coffees with other mums in the same situation. We all have husbands who work or work ourselves on our farms. We have plenty of time between feeding the livestock so it's coffees, extended chats at the school gates long after everyone else has gone home/to work and then home for stuff like laundry, cleaning up a bit and my favourite, reading. I enjoy parking threads on Mumsnet a bit too much too. I bake a lot as well. Nothing beats a nice homemade white bloomer for when the kids get home. They'd rather a big slice of that with butter over sweets any day.

Ivymaud Tue 16-Jan-18 20:56:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

formerbabe Tue 16-Jan-18 20:56:10

Pagwatch

I have started wearing slippers instead of having barefeet purely so I don't feel the bits on the carpet! What are they and where do they come from?!

reallyanotherone Tue 16-Jan-18 20:57:31

Oh and nap and have sex!

Who do you have sex with if the husband is at work?!

I found I was very busy. 9.30 by the time the school run is done, tidy, clean, washing, ironing. I needed an hour a day for crap like form filling, organising trips, finding new insurance/electric suppliers/phone contracts, filing, dealing with post etc- all those little admin jobs. Leave for school pick up at 2.15, so only really 5 hours to get everything done. Add in errand running- grocery shopping, trips to pick up necessities, then prep for dinner....

Ivymaud Tue 16-Jan-18 20:57:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LanaKanesLeftNippleTassle Tue 16-Jan-18 20:57:38

I have BDSM orgies in the afternoons, with a delightful group of people while DP is at work.

Then I clean the spunk off the leather, sort out the 12" dildos, put away the ropes and get the kids from school.

Pagwatch Tue 16-Jan-18 20:57:44

I think we are sometimes so fixated with the idea that we need to justify our being at home that we become too pre-occupied.

When I was at work I got a coffee, had lunches sometimes, stopped and caught up with friends and colleagues.
I know that not everyone works like that but people who lunch, chat, catch up whilst getting a coffee don't get asked to justify their day.

GreatDuckCookery6211 Tue 16-Jan-18 20:58:20

As little as possible.

TheHolidayArmadillo Tue 16-Jan-18 20:59:46

When DD starts nursery I'll have 2.5 hours a day child-free. I'm going to finally be able to fit in my own exercise, and enjoy the peace. When she's at school I imagine I'll be able to do housework properly, redecorate, read more, cook more, dedicate more time to my craft business. Roll on 2020 wink

speakout Tue 16-Jan-18 20:59:58

Watch Jeremy Kyle, play Candy Crush, text my friends, smoke fags, throw the occasional pot noodle at the kids...

Pagwatch Tue 16-Jan-18 21:00:41

Formerbabe.
There is something weird occurring for sure. Are you haunted?
I have dogs so there are always bits.
We also have small gaps in our windows and things like birch pollen sweep through the house sometimes.
Could sonething be blowing in?

StealthPolarBear Tue 16-Jan-18 21:01:03

Some people have incredibly long journeys to school. So do we at the moment but they will get the bus soon!

liz70 Tue 16-Jan-18 21:01:20

The above being done between dropping DD3 at school and picking her up again, I should have said. Then three evenings a week I take her to karate, Girls Brigade and Dancing/Singing class. All a short walk from us (I don't drive). DH will fetch her back if he's home from work, otherwise I have to.

g1itterati Tue 16-Jan-18 21:02:11

Well...I get up at 5.30 with the cats - have a coffee / get ready. At 6.15, wake up DSs who need to leave at 7am. Take DH coffee in bed. Wake up two other DC at 7am. During this time will have served everyone breakfast eg. porridge, eggs, pancakes at intervals. Leave house with younger 2 at 7.50. By 8.30, I'm home again.

I tend to vacate the house between 9 and 1 on Mon, Wed and Fri as the cleaner comes. I do yoga, running club, Pilates or combo of these most mornings. After this, I might do food shopping / pick up stuff for DC / dry cleaning etc. At the moment, I'm renovating a house so on site a fair bit. I go into the school for the Suzuki music lessons on two days as a parent has to attend. Might meet a friend for coffee or lunch. If I feel really tired, I might just go home and watch a movie, but to be honest, this would only be on a really bad day / heavy rain. If I'm making a dinner that's something like a tagine, etc, I'll get this sorted. Organise everyone's clothes / laundry / beds as cleaner does not do this.

Leave the house at 3pm for school run. Take various DC to various activities most nights of the week. Give kids dinner to various specs, give DH dinner later (if he's not travelling). Help with homework / sort uniforms / sports kits / music practise and get younger DC bathed and in bed. Usually finish by 10pm.

liz70 Tue 16-Jan-18 21:02:17

Wrong thread, Pag. grin

StealthPolarBear Tue 16-Jan-18 21:02:34

Makes me feel better about their long journey actually

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Tue 16-Jan-18 21:02:46

Faffing!!!!

Someone said faffing upthread

I do a lot of that sad

StealthPolarBear Tue 16-Jan-18 21:03:03

Pag is talking about the bits

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »