Talk

Advanced search

AIBU in thinking if your child throws up in a store you leave afterwards

(60 Posts)
cannotmakemymindup Wed 06-Dec-17 23:21:05

Today we visited Ikea, whilst strolling through children's section, parents with a toddler are looking at items when their child promptly projectile vomits. They clean up the floor, myself and another lady get assistance from instore staff for them to.
They merrily carried on shopping after this with their asleep child now held in their arms. We kept bumping in to them whilst I kept rapidly walking away
I don't understand this, if that was me I would have abandoned my shopping trip and drove straight home, hoping my child stayed asleep the whole way home and wasn't ill again.
So AIBU in thinking they should have left instead of walking round with an ill child plus not washed themselves up (hands etc). Possibly spreading a sickness bug through the store?

Pop24 Wed 06-Dec-17 23:24:59

Ewwww.

Allthewaves Wed 06-Dec-17 23:25:18

Kid could have been sick or had medical issue that makes them throw up

nutellatruffle Wed 06-Dec-17 23:26:37

It depends, I have always vomited a lot and to be honest if my parents had taken me home every time I was sick, we would never have gone anywhere. I was generally fine after being sick.

I always apologise if I am sick in public though. People are mostly nice about it.

ButterfliesAreWeird Wed 06-Dec-17 23:26:50

Throwing up doesn't necessarily mean they have a bug

AtSea1979 Wed 06-Dec-17 23:29:15

As others have said. Maybe the kid has a medical condition that isn't a bug.

Hugepeppapigfan Wed 06-Dec-17 23:29:47

I had a reflux baby/toddler. She projectile vomited with no warning sometimes. I didn’t always leave places if she did this as I knew she wasn’t ill.

MyGirlDaisy Wed 06-Dec-17 23:41:56

Well whilst it may not be a bug it's pretty yuk that they didn't go and wash their hands etc whatever the cause. As an emetophobe I would have been beside myself if this had happened in front of me! I would then be worried that they may touch things that I would subsequently touch, then I wouldn't want to use the loo in case they had then gone in there to clean up, in fact irrational though it may be I would probably have left the store! I can do reflux vomit, medication vomit or animal vomit but vomit I may catch is just a big no!

cannotmakemymindup Wed 06-Dec-17 23:52:33

I did wonder whether it was a medical issue hence the AIBU. However it's still difficult when you are in the situation and not knowing whether you are in possible contact with a bug or nothing to be concerned about.

SheGotBetteDavisEyes Wed 06-Dec-17 23:54:07

Part of me would have wanted to get home to burn my clothes but if it's not caused by a sickness bug, and the child was otherwise okay then they shouldn't have to go home just for form's sake.

Also, maybe they weren't driving. Maybe they were waiting for a lift that had been arranged, who knows?

cannotmakemymindup Wed 06-Dec-17 23:54:20

I'll also add the child was practically instantly asleep afterwards. Not exactly fine in my books. Children usually sleep after being sick in my experience when it's a bug.
Sorry if that was a drip feed.

SleepingStandingUp Wed 06-Dec-17 23:57:51

I'm sire I have horrified many a person on the bus when my son has vomited and I've fiat kept on going. Ideally catch vomit into a cup etc. Used to carry a special jug at one point. If not caught then I can normally do an upper body clothes change whilst travellong. Occasionally have had to get off near shops and grab extra clothes from a chaorty shop (he hadnt vommed for ages and I was caught unawares) and so dressed him in the shop, bagged yak clothes and carried on. We simply cannot stop life just because he has vomited.

However if he is poorly we stay in. If he is poorly vomiting vs his vomiting he cries and gets distressed.

Would always use baby wipes / hand sanitizer until I could get to a sink though.

How do you know they didn't wash their hands inbetween seeing you?

cannotmakemymindup Wed 06-Dec-17 23:58:04

If their child was 'skipping' about afterwards I would have agreed and actually not be so concerned shegotbettedaviseyes Nutellatruffle

SleepingStandingUp Wed 06-Dec-17 23:59:03

Sorry for typos. Broken screen

cannotmakemymindup Thu 07-Dec-17 00:03:05

sleepingstandingup as we left the section I saw the dad go from cleaning the sick up on the floor to straight away picking up items, doing the usual do we want this or not to his Oh.
They may have washed hands in-between when I next saw them after that, however at the rate they kept catching us up. I suspect not.

SleepingStandingUp Thu 07-Dec-17 00:05:53

That is ewwww tbf

ButterfliesAreWeird Thu 07-Dec-17 00:08:04

When my son is sick because of allergies he often falls asleep after. Whether it's a bug or not, throwing up is tiring

cannotmakemymindup Thu 07-Dec-17 00:11:32

I did wonder if that was the case buttetfliesareweird. It was just the general lack of basic hygiene afterwards that makes me worry more.

ButterfliesAreWeird Thu 07-Dec-17 00:16:16

They could have used antibacterial wipes. I carry some round with me just incase something happens

Itchytights Thu 07-Dec-17 00:25:49

As an emeteophobe I wouldn’t have hung around and would have left.

Of course they should have taken the child home. No question.

cannotmakemymindup Thu 07-Dec-17 00:30:49

I hadn't thought about anti-bac Wipes, however we were very very close to the bathrooms, why not wash up in one of those? Especially as in Ikea you have parent and child bathrooms.
It made the rest of the shopping trip stressful for us and I'm not an emetophobe.

eastlondoner Thu 07-Dec-17 00:33:00

That's up to them. It really wouldn't bother me. (I'm a nurse).

crazycatgal Thu 07-Dec-17 00:37:29

Pretty grim if they didn't go and wash hands after touching sick.

ButterfliesAreWeird Thu 07-Dec-17 00:40:12

My kid is scared of public bathrooms so I wouldn't take him in unless absolutely necessary, plus it's not always easier. Not saying its what happened but it's a possibility they quickly cleaned up with antibacterial wipes and carried on knowing it wasn't a bug.

ChanandlerBongsNeighbour Thu 07-Dec-17 00:45:59

My DD gets terrible travel sickness, sometimes delayed up to twenty minutes after we are out of the vehicle! We got the bus to town once and went in Primark, not five minutes into the shop and she spectacularly vomited everywhere (mainly over DC2 asleep in the buggy as she was standing on the buggy board at the time!). I was mortified and helped clean up and they let us use the toilet for a proper clean up and clothes change. DD felt better immediately (as is always the case with her travel sickness) so we continued shopping!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now