Talk

Advanced search

Son - mentally ill, sleep deprived or on drugs?

(121 Posts)
ShatteredRose Mon 20-Nov-17 06:44:13

Been having lots of problems with my 16 year old son. He hasn't done anything since leaving school and has been out every night smoking dope with his mates. I don't give him money anymore so I don't know where he's getting money from. He disappears for two days at a time lately saying he's staying at his mates.

This morning he got in at 4am (after been "at his mates" for two days.) I found him sat on the dining room floor in pitch black darkness staring out of the window. He said there were 3 men in "gigalo suits" hiding in the bushes watching him with cameras. He insisted on showing me where they were and couldn't understand why I couldn't see them. I've made him go to bed. I'm at a loss of what to do. Is he mentally ill or taking something other than weed? What can I do when I can't physically stop him leaving the house??

ShatteredRose Mon 20-Nov-17 06:55:33

Also, he never smells of weed. I always assumed I'd smell it a mile off but there is never even a hint of smell. DH thinks it could be LSD/Acid/Spice and that he's probably descended into dealing it in order to get it as he has no money. I just don't know what to do.

ShatteredRose Mon 20-Nov-17 06:56:38

Also he's not "dopey" like you would be after smoking dope, he's wide awake and hyper - currently watching family guy in his room despite (I'm assuming) having not slept all night.

abbsisspartacus Mon 20-Nov-17 06:57:47

He has taken something

gloopyglitterball Mon 20-Nov-17 07:03:19

How worrying for you! Have you asked him outright if he’s taken anything? It does sound like he has and is hallucinating/ paranoid. Has anything similar happened with him before?

ihatethecold Mon 20-Nov-17 07:07:43

He is experiencing psychosis.
My ds went through it last year. He was admitted to hospital many times after becoming suicidal because of being psychotic.
He has awful hallucinations caused by smoking skunk.

He ended up with the crisis team and Home treatment team on quite strong anti psychotics.

He is better now but it was a very difficult year.

How is your son now?

ShatteredRose Mon 20-Nov-17 07:08:42

He's admitted to smoking weed but never anything else. I think I'd smell weed though! I'm thinking it must be something like LSD which means he's going into the harder stuff. I've caught him in a state of confusion before but always assumed it was slee deprivation as he was always jumbled and dopey with it. This time was different, he was wide awake, speaking clearly and absolutely convinced that there were men all over the driveway with cameras on sticks poking over the fence and into the windows, around the walls etc. He even pointed directly to them to convince me. When I turned the light on he said "oh nice one, you've given away my position"

Caenea Mon 20-Nov-17 07:12:32

You won't necessarily smell weed on him once it's smoked - because it's cut with tobacco, he will just smell like cigarettes. It's the unrolled stuff that reeks.

If he's wide-eyed, hyper and hallucinating, it's one of two things:

Psychosis, which can be induced if you smoke a LOT of weed over a short period of time and which requires medical intervention. You have GOT to see at least the GP about this.

Failing that, it could be he's moved to cocaine. Is he making rapid eye movements? Does his mouth seem to move independently of what he's saying? Is he gesculating a lot? If so, it is almost certainly coke.

araiwa Mon 20-Nov-17 07:13:46

i would guess all of the above

Temporary2002 Mon 20-Nov-17 07:13:53

Sounds like psychosis, likely caused a drug when you consider to his recent behaviors. I don't know what you should do though, sorry OP. Hope some people who can advise you come along.

ShatteredRose Mon 20-Nov-17 07:14:19

He doesn't even smell of tobacco.

He'd never agree to go to GP with me, do I go on my own?

He wouldn't have the money for Coke unless he has an income I'm not aware of...

Saladd0dger Mon 20-Nov-17 07:18:05

Speed? I was young once and after being awake for a few nights used to hallucinate. It’s cheap to so would probably cost £10. Used to take me days to get over it, was in cuckoo land.

Caenea Mon 20-Nov-17 07:19:14

If he doesn't smell of smoke, then he probably isn't smoking, which almost certainly means he's on something a lot harder than weed unfortunately OP.

You can go on your own of course. Be honest. Explain the situation, that he'd never go to a GP about it, can they make a referral, a recommendation?

If he's dealing, there's his income. However, he may just be sponging off mates.

It might be worth ringing 111? Just for advice if you're worried about him medically?

Runninglateeveryday Mon 20-Nov-17 07:22:29

Psychosis probably drug induced, where are you? There is a really good drugs service for young people called addaction if you can self refer?

How did he do at school ? Is he refusing all education ?

Myusername101 Mon 20-Nov-17 07:23:19

Doesnt sound like weed to me, i know weed can cause psychosis but my exP worked in a mental health unit and it is very rare and usually accompanied by other things - other drugs, really awful home life etc.
Could be spice? I dont know much about that other than what ive seen on the tele and it looks scary. Doubt its LSD i dont think anyone has done that since the 80's.
Could be ketamine? That can make you hallucinate but i would of thoight he would be more out of it but never seen it first hand so dont know.

Hope your son is ok. Maybe have a very frank conversation with him after hes slept? See if he opens up.

blueskyinmarch Mon 20-Nov-17 07:23:29

I would try and get as much advice and information as you can. Ring 111 or your GP or look up any local drug support agency and get advice. Drug support places will be best informed as to the symptoms of all sorts of drug usage. Can you try speaking to your DS later and tell how worried you are about this behaviour. Ask him what he has been taking ( I realise he may point blank refuse to tell you anything). It all sounds very difficult.

LunasSpectreSpecs Mon 20-Nov-17 07:25:28

Does it really matter what he's taking? It seems very much as if he is taking something and it's seriously affecting him.

He's 16 - I think that still classes as a "child" and you can ask the GP to see him, drag him to the Gp yourself, or see the GP on your own to discuss what to do.

Is your son happy with his life? Does he want to make something of himself or does he see his future as getting high and never working?

ShatteredRose Mon 20-Nov-17 07:27:45

He did terribly at school, was always in trouble and didn't get any GCSEs other than a B in photography. He's now refusing all education and hasn't got a job. I'm at work at 8am so will go up and see what he's like now.

MimiDeLaSun Mon 20-Nov-17 07:27:53

MDMA can cause hallucinstiond and paranoia, wide awake etc.

Or some of the ketamine that’s sold.

He’s taking class A op, would be my best guess.

You need to sit him down and see where he thinks his life is heading. He’s not allowed to have left education so what’s he doing with himself?

I fucking hate drugs brew

LEMtheoriginal Mon 20-Nov-17 07:27:56

I'd be doing my utmost to stop him from going out for a start. Would he just ignore it if you "grounded" him? I guess he probably would.

Go to your gp and raise concerns. As he us under 18 am sure they can intervene if you say he isn't safe.

It does sound drug induced but they are making him mentally ill.

As a first step go to your gp and don't be afraid to involve the police.

I wish I had more than trite obvious suggestions because I know how worried you must be.

MimiDeLaSun Mon 20-Nov-17 07:28:27

Hallucinations obvs.

Slartybartfast Mon 20-Nov-17 07:29:35

There is an Talk to Frank website, I think

weed is much stronger nowadays.
You need to tackle him about this.
get the leaflets from Frank and yes encourage him to do something with his life.
train/apprenticeship, work. At 16 he should be in education

MollyHuaCha Mon 20-Nov-17 07:31:06

No advice. But I feel for you.

stealtheatingtunnocks Mon 20-Nov-17 07:31:40

He's acutely ill. Don't leave him on his own if he's been hallucinating - it's an emergency.

NumberEightyOne Mon 20-Nov-17 07:33:16

Any chance you can miss work today? I know it's not always possible but your ds sounds like he's in a highly vulnerable state and needs some medical attention.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: