Talk

Advanced search

To hate some of the terms that mums use on social media...

(115 Posts)
HashtagTired Wed 11-Oct-17 06:59:51

I’m probably setting myself up for a fall here, but it really irritates me when people use terms like ‘mummy milk’ or ‘boobie milk’ or ‘yummy mummy’s’ or ‘mummy friends’ or ‘mummy ....[^enter word^]’

Just say it for what it is!
I see it less on MN but it’s all over FB and I find it just so irritating.
Is it just me? Aibu?!?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 11-Oct-17 07:03:19

They can say what they like on their own Facebook accounts. Just 'hide' them.

FannyTheFlamingo Wed 11-Oct-17 07:06:38

There was a whole debate on here not long ago about the use of boob as a verb i.e I needed to boob her to sleep. I hate that! But yes, boobie milk is on a par. I have quite a low tolerance on FB and 'hide' a lot of people.

toolonglurking Wed 11-Oct-17 08:02:15

I know someone who uses 'motherhoodunplgged' all the time - she is the most self centered, spoilt brat I've ever known, there is nothing 'unplugged' about her - for some reason it really winds me up!

Mountie5 Wed 11-Oct-17 08:03:48

I hate mum boss and boss babe - it's so demeaning. If you own a business and you are a mother it doesn't need announcing. Dads don't have boss dude.

FakePlasticTeaLeaves Wed 11-Oct-17 08:08:45

I hate mum boss too, it's terrible. Or mumtrepreneur. Especially as they are usually not entrepreneurs; they just try and force you to buy some skin cream/fruit pills.

Sooooooooooooooooooooo Wed 11-Oct-17 08:09:33

I hate boob as a verb.

I boobed her to sleep. I'm boobing the baby. No, you're feeding. Like everyone else.

Witsender Wed 11-Oct-17 08:10:44

Motherhoodunplugged is ridiculous..he whole unplugged thing comes from the desire to detach from social media etc...which a # kind of negates! 😂 I've seen childhoodunplugged which makes more sense as it applies to the kids not the parent posting.

jay55 Wed 11-Oct-17 08:13:14

Mum boss makes sense, if you are a nanny.

Mountie5 Wed 11-Oct-17 08:18:06

To be honest I hate the term 'feeds.'

I know it is silly but it makes me feel sick if someone says they are preparing a 'feed' or ask if dh does his share of the 'night feeds'.

BitchQueen90 Wed 11-Oct-17 09:18:16

I hate them all, including the term "full time mummy." Or "looking for 10 mummy friends who want to lose a few pounds" blah blah when they're promoting their shite juice detoxes or whatever.

Moanyoldcow Wed 11-Oct-17 09:21:57

Every so often someone crops up with a profile that says some shit about making milk being a superpower - makes me feel irrationally annoyed.

tiirred Wed 11-Oct-17 09:26:09

YANBU

It all sounds so twee and silly.

I know someone who is forever rambling on with herself on Facebook and always has to refer back to being a mum no matter what the subject.

She is a mum boss with mummy friends who boobs her baby to sleep with golden droplets of boobie milk. Fuck off!

TheHungryDonkey Wed 11-Oct-17 09:48:49

YANBU. I see it on Facebook community pages. However, none of my friends write or talk like this on Facebook. So it must be a certain type of person who does it.

Lweji Wed 11-Oct-17 09:51:05

This is why I'm on MN...?

FakePlasticTeaLeaves Wed 11-Oct-17 09:52:40

I read a post where a woman had tagged her cousin and written:

'Can't wait to be bikinied yummy mummys by the pool together'.
This made me feel physically sick.

Goosegrass Wed 11-Oct-17 09:57:53

Just don’t be friends with twats. Nobody I know does that.

BusterTheBulldog Wed 11-Oct-17 10:04:48

Mumpreneur is the absolute worst! I got into a twitter spat with a group of them alwhen I asked for a definition of its meaning and the need for the word.

I'm sure there is a whiff of mlm about it too as it's a bit secretive until you 'pm' / go to a networking event with them.

natwebb79 Wed 11-Oct-17 10:08:59

I had to leave a group for advice on slings once due to the constant reference to 'babywearing', competitive photos of babies tied to them with bits of fabric in different positions and constantly being referred to as 'Mama'. I realise it was my problem though. They can crack on. 😀

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Wed 11-Oct-17 10:11:00

"Mummy friends" is just something I see as a distinction of a social group. I don't see it as much more twee than "school friends" "uni friends" "train spotting friends" etc.

Although I haven't had the most active social life with the friends that I made through reproducing around the same time for the purposes of boasting on social media. It was mainly hanging around parks and soft play wink

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Wed 11-Oct-17 10:12:28

Mama irritates me. Not in itself but because of the bias of smug, sanctimonious people that favour it.

NoCryLilSoftSoft Wed 11-Oct-17 10:15:19

Oh i hate boobing/boob to sleep. Ugh. You dont bottle your child to sleep if you are formula feeding do you?

BastardGoDarkly Wed 11-Oct-17 10:16:24

Yup, none of my friends would utter this shite. Get new friends grin

RiseToday Wed 11-Oct-17 10:18:42

Someone referred to me as a 'yummy mummy' on FB once ...... the sentiment was very nice but god, it made my toes curl to breaking point.

I also cringe when people say 'Lil'

museumum Wed 11-Oct-17 10:18:51

I tie myself in knots trying to to say 'mum friends' because i know how much people hate it but sometimes it's relevant so i end up saying 'some friends who i met on maternity leave with kids the same age' which to be honest is a real mouthful.

haba Wed 11-Oct-17 10:18:52

Somewhat- I was mama because my v late to speak pfb couldn't manage anything else! (But I'm guessing that's not smug)

Anyway, Op, what goosegrass said. No-one I know does this, and would be deleted pdq if they did.

FakePlasticTeaLeaves Wed 11-Oct-17 10:19:51

BusterTheBulldog It's hideous isn't it. If you are genuinely a mum who is an entrepreneur, you'd just say you were a business owner or an entrepreneur.

An entrepreneur is not someone who buys products from someone else and sells them on.

FakePlasticTeaLeaves Wed 11-Oct-17 10:22:28

OK well they might be, but not fruit pills on social media!

MusicToMyEars800 Wed 11-Oct-17 10:22:44

This is why I'm not on Facebook grin

Tubbyinthehottub Wed 11-Oct-17 10:24:31

Mama Bear! angry

HashtagTired Wed 11-Oct-17 10:34:36

Mama. Oh yes, that’s more irritating than most confused

Bumdishcloths Wed 11-Oct-17 10:38:12

'Little man', 'the littles', 'the smalls'

Stop it. They are babies or children. Ugh.

didofido Wed 11-Oct-17 10:38:37

And to change direction - hubby. Hate it, so demeaning.

Bumdishcloths Wed 11-Oct-17 10:49:46

Also:

MUNCHKIN

angry

FlyFlyAway Wed 11-Oct-17 10:51:14

@nocrylilsoftsoft You nearly owed me for a new laptop spitting tea over it!

Oh i hate boobing/boob to sleep. Ugh. You dont bottle your child to sleep if you are formula feeding do you?

FlyFlyAway Wed 11-Oct-17 10:51:45

"Mummy meal" is my offering.

CherryChasingDotMuncher Wed 11-Oct-17 10:53:15

Can we have a special mention for ‘aunty flo’. FFS you’re a grown woman, say PERIOD!!

CherryChasingDotMuncher Wed 11-Oct-17 10:55:46

And when people refer to their infant sons with some masculine phrase “little dude” “little beast” 🙄 when I had my DS people said “with that face he’s gonna be a heartbreaker, watch out ladies” - FFS don’t talk about my infant’s future sex life you creep hmm (he is definitely the world’s cutest baby though grin)

cathf Wed 11-Oct-17 10:58:05

Mumpreneur - really don't get me started.
I was interviewed by a local magazine once, and in the end, they did not print the article because I would not go down the 'look I have children and a job' line of thinking. A shame, because they took some lovely pics of me and the kids!
One of my friends helpfully 'joined' me into a local Mumpreneurs facebook page and I have a titter on a daily basis when I read about their 'busy busy busy' days involving networking meetings, catch-ups with other mumpreneurs and marketing plans, none of which actually make any money! There's a couple of MLM people in there as well.
Sorry, making a few fabric nappies, cakes or handbags does not make you a business owner.

CherryChasingDotMuncher Wed 11-Oct-17 10:59:38

Also, when they share memes that say things like “you think a dad with daughters is protective? Try a mother with her sons. Go on I dare you”.

Pardon me? What are you daring me to do?What are you threatening exactly? Are you going to beat people up are you? You’re 5’2”, have had 3 hours sleep and haven’t been to the gym in 4 years, you probably couldn’t beat up a child so why are you threatening people on the internet who haven’t even done or said anything?!

Also, no I don’t think a dad is over-protective of his daughter just because she’s a girl. If he is he’s a bit of a creep quite frankly

I need to get off Facebook 😆

Sooooooooooooooooooooo Wed 11-Oct-17 11:00:13

It's not my friends that do it but I have joined a fb group that constantly talks about boobing the baby, baby wearing and gentle parenting. I could leave. grin

flimflaminurjams Wed 11-Oct-17 11:00:33

Fly
Mummy Meal? Oh my word that's a new one on me. Think I'm going to envy vomit.

CherryChasingDotMuncher Wed 11-Oct-17 11:02:01

This is the meme I mean. SIL posted it. Calm the fuck down, no one is out to hurt your 2 YEAR OLD <bashes computer in blind fury>

TipsNotHacks Wed 11-Oct-17 11:10:53

Yes CherryChasing! This meme drives me up the wall.

My offering is "poo explosion" or "poosplosion". Drives me absolutely up the wall.

DSHathawayGivesMeFannyGallops Wed 11-Oct-17 11:13:53

All of the above are vomit inducing! My social/social media circle is only just starting to have babies and these words are suddenly everywhere. "Mum friends" gets a pass as I don't see the difference between that and "school" or "uni" friends, although I do think using it on social media can make it cliquey.

It also makes me imagine Jay from The Inbetweeners bouncing on a pram and yelling "Mum Friend!"

HashtagTired Wed 11-Oct-17 11:20:51

Dido yes I hate the term hubby too.** It’s so ... cutesy and it makes me cringe.** He’s my husband ffs.**

Also, kid(s).**
I have children, not kids.** Don’t refer to my children as kids.** angry

HashtagTired Wed 11-Oct-17 11:21:32

(And I really didn’t mean for that entire post to be in bold) ...

Alloftheboys Wed 11-Oct-17 11:37:19

Mumtrepenuer my chuff!
Just cos you're trying to flock some expensive make up or disgusting aloe oil that tastes like snot doesn't mean you're frigging Alan Sugar!

Motoko Wed 11-Oct-17 11:48:55

To be honest I hate the term 'feeds.'

What would you use then? Bottle?
In your example "Does your husband do the night feeds?" I think replacing "feeds" with "bottles" sounds clunky to me.

Milk? "Does your husband give the baby it's milk at night?" Again, doesn't sound right.

And what about "breastfeeding"? It describes the action perfectly, the baby is feeding off the breast.

Bumdishcloths Wed 11-Oct-17 12:18:26

I can understand hating 'feeds' - that one doesn't bother me, but for some reason the word 'snack' does 😂

ememem84 Wed 11-Oct-17 12:54:13

Aaah hate all of this.

We have a brand new straight out of the box baby ds (2 weeks). I’ve been asked whether I’m boobie feeding, boobing, etc.

To me the concept of “boobing to sleep” would be me swinging my boobs at dh/ds/anyone in a rather violent manner and continuing to whack them round the head with them until they passed out. Which obviously wouldn’t be safe/helpful/etc.

Also hate mumpreneur, bossbabe etc.

But my personal fave of this week has been “Mummy mates” someone I vaguely know asked me to be Mummy mates with her. I haven’t yet been able to say no. Have just ignored the message.

If she’d said “hey let’s go for a coffee/are you going to xyz baby group” I may have replied but “do you want to be Mummy mates?!” No. Vom.

blueshoes Wed 11-Oct-17 13:54:43

How about BD or 'baby dance' for TTC sex. To be fair, that was on a US babycentre website and pre-MN, I did not realise then how coy it was.

MidnightAura Wed 11-Oct-17 14:33:56

I have one friend on facebook who talks entirely in hashtags. #babyleadweaning #whatsbestforus #mummyandsondate #cosleepingworksforus And of course she is a "yummy mummy"

There's always lot of pictures of her breastfeeding and if you comment anything other than what a great mother she is she will fly off the handle. A while ago she knew we were trying to conceive and she started tagging me in a lots of breastfeeding memes. So I told her we aren't anymore just to stop it.

If I get like this when I get pregnant I would be mortified!

mogulfield Wed 11-Oct-17 14:36:29

Some mums on Facebook refer to their husbands looking after their children as ‘daddy daycare’. All kinds of wrong.

Anatidae Wed 11-Oct-17 14:49:18

Just to stick up slightly for ‘mama’ it’s what mine calls me (as it is the word for Mum in this country.)

I do not call myself a mama-anything smile although I’ve probably been guilty of referring to myself in the third person from time to time...

Idontevencareanymore Wed 11-Oct-17 14:55:14

Full time mum. It's awful and implies a mother who dares to step foot outside the home to work, lesser.
You're a stay at home mum. Or just mum.

HashtagTired Wed 11-Oct-17 15:01:20

Ememem84 that’s too funny and I actually played that whole boobing thing out in my head as I was reading which now makes wish I hadn’t.
And the mummy mates thing - takes me back to primary school when children used to ask ‘will you be my friend?’

Seriously. Mummy mates? Grow up!

pp2017 Wed 11-Oct-17 15:33:20

*Also, kid(s).
I have children, not kids. Don’t refer to my children as kids.*

I think this is a regional phrase rather than a new faddy twee one; where I live most people refer to a group of children as kids?

If I said “what are you and the children doing for Christmas?” my family and friends would probably take the piss...... 😳

and what @Idontevencareanymore said about “Full Time Mummy” - I want to scream “yes, I also do everything you do AND I work 40+ hours in a paid job on top!!” 😡

JessicaEccles Wed 11-Oct-17 15:36:45

Mama bear.

Boobmonster- makes me think of Benny Hill angry

Calling children 'sexy'. Or a 'little flirt'.

natwebb79 Wed 11-Oct-17 15:37:08

Oh I'm more than fine with small children calling their mothers 'mama'. My issue is with grown women calling me 'Mama' and trying to lure me into some weird cult where you're banished if you don't tie your baby to your body with stretchy fabric. 😀

FakePlasticTeaLeaves Wed 11-Oct-17 15:41:14

JessicaEccles Yes, sexy is hideous.
I also dislike when they pose their child with one of the opposite sex, forcing them to kiss, hold hands, cuddle etc, just so they can post a picture with a soppy line about first loves. Grim.

pp2017 Wed 11-Oct-17 15:54:42

Calling children 'sexy'.

Ditto and saying a child looks ‘sultry’ 😳😳

ThatHippyDippyShit Wed 11-Oct-17 16:09:31

Referring to a baby as "baba" or "bubba"

Cringe.

JessicaEccles Wed 11-Oct-17 16:30:54

Round here it's 'the babby'. I worked with one woman for 7 years and I still don't know her youngest child's name grin

ememem84 Wed 11-Oct-17 18:03:28

hastagtired the crazy thing is if you replace “boob” to “bottle” in my earlier post it becomes much more sinister.

I’m guilty of referring to baby ds as “little mate” that’s ok isn’t it??

“Bubs” annoys me too.

HashtagTired Wed 11-Oct-17 19:30:28

I’m not keen on ‘mama’ and does make me cringe a bit, but I have been known to call ds ‘little guy’ but only to him. I don’t refer to him as that.

WickedLazy Wed 11-Oct-17 19:47:00

"Full time mummy" or "full time yummy mummy" gives me the rage. What am I then, only a part time mother? hmm I didn't work for 2 years from ds was 3-5, and would never have described being unemployed as such. Women who do always seems to be on full benefits, and a lot have dp's living there but pretending they aren't. And a good few seem to have another baby, just as their older dc is about to reach the age limit for income support.

Engorged Wed 11-Oct-17 20:50:07

Anything with hash tags annoys me, mainly because the updates are constant. The worst is a member of the MLM cult.

Im not a fan of yummy mummy or 'baby led weaning for the win!' But then I hate the word naice which thankfully I see far less of these days.

I tend to put the odd picture or update on fb but I'm aware of two friends using IVF to ttc so it makes me more aware of the serial updates.

I prefer mummy milk to bitty which is what one friend calls it though I'd just use 'milk' myself.

Engorged Wed 11-Oct-17 20:52:20

And it did annoy me to see mumtrepeur as a job title and full time mummy, she claims anything else is part time but said baby is in nursery 5 mornings a week! So what's the difference to working part time and doing that?

MycatsaPirate Wed 11-Oct-17 21:10:57

#familygoals

normally above a photo of the family. Doing something normal.

because no one else has gone on a family bike ride... ever! You nail that family bike ride! Family goals!!

Fucks sake eye roll

SlickBubbles Wed 11-Oct-17 21:14:26

Using twee words when speaking as as adult - eg xxx loves milkies. It's milk as an adult.

Other one is prin (as in princess). Actually refering to any child as a prince or princess annoys me. I think because to me, refering to someone as a princess is calling them a spoilt brat 😂

mumoseven Wed 11-Oct-17 21:27:12

JessicaEccles, do I know you?

shrunkenhead Wed 11-Oct-17 21:41:08

The whole "boobing to sleep", "on the boob" etc etc no one really cares....they just want everyone to know they're breastfeeding and are hoping for a chufty badge.

pp2017 Wed 11-Oct-17 21:41:12

I prefer mummy milk to bitty which is what one friend calls it

OMG that’s awful, it’s off a Little Britain sketch that makes my skin crawl!!

😳😳

Ohyesiam Wed 11-Oct-17 22:00:58

People refer to children as sexy, sultry, or a flirt?
What? Normal people, Not paedophiles?

pp2017 Thu 12-Oct-17 07:30:11

Yep! I once saw a thread (can’t remember if it was on here?) where a poster was asking if she was BU because her DM or DMIL (can’t remember which) had commented on a photo of her DD on Facebook saying she looked “sultry” - I think DD was about 5?

Flomper Thu 12-Oct-17 07:33:55

Full time mummy as a job role on facebook profiles. Makes me heave.

SheStoopsToConquer Thu 12-Oct-17 07:41:41

Ugh YANBU OP. A former colleague hashtags every single Instagram post about her child with #mylittlepetal #themummydiaries. And if her kid was in the stroller when the photo was taken its #bugaboo or #uppababy. Vomit!

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 12-Oct-17 07:43:16

If you think "mummy milk" is bad, I once heard a grown woman refer to it as "boobie juice". And that was to other adults, not children!

SamanthaBrique Thu 12-Oct-17 07:45:47

Full time mummy as a job role on facebook profiles.

Or worse is when they add the their children's names to it, i.e. "full-time mummy to Chardinnay, Caiden, Bille-Maiie and Jonny-Blu" etc!

windowSong Thu 12-Oct-17 07:55:18

“Mumsnet”

CaoNiMartacus Thu 12-Oct-17 08:00:20

"Mumma"

(Unless you are a mediaeval troubadour mime artist, that is.)

Anatidae Thu 12-Oct-17 08:06:13

I have referred to it as maternal mogadon. And chateuneuf du Pap.

Not in public, obviously.

Hmmmmmmmmmm10 Thu 12-Oct-17 08:32:33

Yes, hate that too. In my opinion feeding is feeding, call it that whether bottle or breast, purées or ‘baby led’. I hate the term baby led weaning because the baby has not gone to cupboards and chosen the food and heaven forbid the baby does not follow recipes in cookbooks. It’s essentially finger foods / eating with own hands.

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 12-Oct-17 08:54:36

'chateuneuf du Pap' must be the most middle-class euphemism for breastfeeding that I've ever come across!!

Motoko Thu 12-Oct-17 09:58:55

I remember the first time I heard the term 'baby-led weaning' and asked what it was. When they told me, I said, "Well, that's just weaning." but they insisted it was different to how we used to wean babies. hmm

Anatidae Thu 12-Oct-17 10:07:43

the most middle class euphemism

You got the pun though, right? grin

I would never say that in public ;) I bfd ds and my stance on feeding babies is ‘do whatever is best for you and your baby, breast, bottle or a mix of the two.’

I’m always hmm at the absolute dogmatic ‘rightness’ people have on social media. Their way is the right way! Always!

I fed ds and just got on with it - apparently me giving him a combo of mashed up stuff and finger food was Not The Pure BLW Way and got criticised
I got criticised for bfing until 18m (disgusting apparently)
I got criticised for stopping bf at 18m (I’ve damaged him and should let him feed until whenever despite my hair falling out and my joints being fucked.)
I got criticised for weaning at 16 weeks (despite it being medically recommended because he would t take formula and he was losing weight hand over fist.)
I got criticised for not using a sling
I got criticised for letting him look at the telly for ten minutes while I cooked
I got criticised for feeding him any sugar AT ALL
And on and on and on....

It’s exhausting. Ds is a well loved, healthy, happy, secure, active kid. I’m happy with my parenting choices and BLW can go fucking do one.

Fruitcorner123 Thu 12-Oct-17 10:13:09

Calling children 'sexy'. Or a 'little flirt'. who does this!?

Goldfishshoals Thu 12-Oct-17 10:40:58

they insisted it was different to how we used to wean babies.

Its definitely different to how my mother weaned babies. Every time she sees my child eating she asks why I'm not blending that up, or 'have you even got a blender?!?'.

Anatidae Thu 12-Oct-17 10:54:41

I don’t think I weaned my kid any different to how I was weaned. Started dipping a finger into stuff for a taste, a very brief stage of mooshed up fruits/ porridge just to get used to it, then on to what we were eating, mashed up a bit with a fork if it needed it.

I don’t get the hatred for mashed up stuff - most primates, many mammals chew food for infants. Many societies do too. I think the dogged insistence of ONLY WHOLE MASSIVE BITS OF STUFF AND NO MASH EVER! is a bit odd - just feed them what they can deal with and make it less or more lumpy as needed. The idea is to get them to enjoy and explore food surely? Do that any way that fits

Laura2018 Thu 12-Oct-17 11:03:18

'Full time mummy' or 'full time mummy and proud' makes me despair for the female sex! Do we not have anything else intersting about us than having children. I also despair at woman who can only have a conversation if it involves their children. Yawn

rubybleu Thu 12-Oct-17 12:04:47

Bum change rather than nappy/diaper change or just change. FFS, your child does not have an interchangeable bottom.

Camomila Thu 12-Oct-17 12:22:37

I don’t like ‘bum change’ either, it’s the nappy getting changed - the baby has still got the same bum.

Bit of a odd one but ...teaching children to say ‘ta’ when the adults around them say thank you. I don’t mind ‘ta’ if the adults say it too.

Mum boss - what does it even mean??

Acadia Thu 12-Oct-17 12:29:59

I was baffled at baby groups that all people wanted to talk about were the babies. I thought it was a cliché, but no, there they were, wanging on about poo textures and frozen baby food blocks and discharge and whether or not little Tybalt had composed his first symphony yet. I was quite surprised to find all the stereotypes and rumours were true.

I stopped going to groups and had no intention of making 'mummy friends'. I took up adult hobbies and made random adult friends instead. And I don't talk about my kids. Why on earth would they want to know?

I think not using the twee phrases meant I'd have never fitted in anyway.

Sometimes I like to say "Housewife", when I was a SAHM, if there was a particularly snooty tone from the enquirer, because I liked it when their faces dropped and contorted in horror.

It's this whole, I dunno, this idea that 'motherhood' is some sort of transformative experience that is so terribly unique that everyone must be enlightened about it - 'the mummy diaries'? Yuk! - as if it's not something just about everyone's experienced either by having kids or being a child themselves and seeing their own mother Do Mothering. Big whippity do. There's a reason fathers - on the whole - don't form Dad Groups, go out with Dad Buds, Daddy blogs are less popular and the ones most likely to hashtag about what a great father they are do it to distract from the fact they see their kid 3 times a year, and they don't go on and on and on about nappies and milk and baby stuff. It is interesting to you but not others. It is not a good topic for bonding with other adults. It is not LITERALLY everything that you are.

It's creepy. I find it kind of sad. Like, is there anything else about you other than 'mother' you want to share with the world?

Swannykazoo Thu 12-Oct-17 12:39:08

Thank fuck someone else understands that "bums" do not get changed - its the sodding stinky NAPPY you fools

pp2017 Thu 12-Oct-17 12:47:21

I don’t get the hatred for mashed up stuff - most primates, many mammals chew food for infants. Many societies do too. I think the dogged insistence of ONLY WHOLE MASSIVE BITS OF STUFF AND NO MASH EVER! is a bit odd - just feed them what they can deal with and make it less or more lumpy as needed. The idea is to get them to enjoy and explore food surely? Do that any way that fits

I’m with @Anatidae - if I had my time again I would absolutely NOT purée and mash everything - as a first time mum I thought this was what had to do but only ended with a child who absolutely cannot stand the texture of anything “lumpy” and actually bowks to the point of making himself sick if he gets even the tiniest lump in his food 😳

I wish I’d just let him smush stuff up in his hands and eat how he pleased......

AutumnalLeaves38 Thu 12-Oct-17 12:54:57

"Booby picky bits"

Only a matter of time...

<shudders>

Anatidae Thu 12-Oct-17 13:03:56

We have a policy of zero stress about food in our house. If he eats it, he eats it. If he doesn’t, he doesn’t. We just feed him what we have, concentrate on giving him stuff we know he will have mostly and offer new stuff often, encourage him to try it and no stress whatever if he won’t, or doesn’t like it.

Motoko Thu 12-Oct-17 15:24:40

I think 'ta' is ok if the child is still learning to talk, as it's a lot easier for a child to say 'ta' than 'thank you'.

As my children got older and able to pronounce words properly, then we graduated to 'thank you'.

fivefour3twoone Thu 12-Oct-17 15:52:04

One of my current love to hates is someone describing themselves and attempting to fling their services as a "social influencer" - is this really a thing now?!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »