Talk

Advanced search

To think this isn't legit?

(18 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

verynaiceham Sat 07-Oct-17 09:17:04

Just had this through as a text with a link to this??

verynaiceham Sat 07-Oct-17 09:17:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FeelingAggrieved Sat 07-Oct-17 09:18:07

Delete it. The link isn't actually to GovUK, look at the end two parts.

BubblesBubblesBubbles Sat 07-Oct-17 09:18:16

Yeps it's a scam

OriginalRhubarbGin Sat 07-Oct-17 09:18:19

There'll be a help line number on the genuine website, ring it and ask.

Polter Sat 07-Oct-17 09:18:49

Scam. Block and ignore.

poisonedbypen Sat 07-Oct-17 09:19:36

Scam www.gov.uk/government/news/scam-warning-for-dvla-customers

ghostyslovesheets Sat 07-Oct-17 09:19:47

They never text you / it's a scsm

verynaiceham Sat 07-Oct-17 09:23:27

I had a funny feeling it wasn’t legit. What about the poor people who fall for it and go on to enter their bank details? Is there a way I can report it?

DuchessofStBridget Sat 07-Oct-17 09:27:11

I think it's the remit of Action Fraud: www.actionfraud.police.uk

toomuchfaster Sat 07-Oct-17 09:32:56

I had a phone call yesterday from 'HMRC' saying they were going to sue me! Because of course HMRC are going to use a recorded lady to tell me that, not write as they always say they will!!

Trills Sat 07-Oct-17 09:43:08

Is it time for a lesson in how websites addresses work?

What a silly question, it's ALWAYS time for a lesson in how web addresses work grin

When looking at a web address, they look like this:
https:// SOME STUFF / OPTIONAL STUFF

Currently we are on:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3053650-to-think-this-isn-t-legit

SOME STUFF = "mumsnet.com" - tells you which website you are on

OPTIONAL STUFF = "/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3053650-to-think-this-isn-t-legit" - tells you what page within that website to go to

When figuring out whether a website is legit, you want to look at the bit between the https:// and the next /

mumsnet.com

This is an easy one.
Look at the far right and you'll see a suffix - it should be one that you recognise. .com or .org or .co.uk or .fr for a French website.

Continue FROM THE RIGHT and you'll find the word or words that are the domain name. Here it's "mumsnet". Anything ending in mumsnet.com belongs to mumsnet.com.

Continue from the right and look for things that are separated by dots and you might find sub-domains.
SOMETHING.SOMETHINGELSE.legitsite.com is a subdomain of legitsite.com - it is "safe".
en.wikipedia.org is a subdomain of wikipedia.org - it does belong to Wikipedia and it's where the English-language stuff lives.
analytics.twitter.com is a subdomain of twitter.com and it's where you can see stats about your followers.

If the words are not separated by dots, we are not looking at subdomains.
The main domain is always the one on the far right next to the suffix.
(I'm making these up here...)
quiz.mumsnet.com would be a subdomain of mumsnet.com and belong to the same people who run mumsnet.com
quiz-mumsnet.com would be a whole domain in itself and probably belong to other (dodgy) people
mumsnet.quiz.com would be a subdomain of quiz.com and belong to the same people who run quiz.com

llangennith Sat 07-Oct-17 09:45:28

I got that text too! Apparently I was due a refund of £68.07p grin

BlueberryButtons Sat 07-Oct-17 12:09:36

Trills that was very educational, thank you! I never knew the difference between . and - in the addresses 😊

Trills Sat 07-Oct-17 12:47:09

Glad you liked it.

I think "how to recognise the important bit of a web address" is a useful skill! smile

DontTouchTheMoustache Sat 07-Oct-17 12:54:39

Trills thank you for that post, really interesting!

IonaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 07-Oct-17 12:55:14

OP - hope you don't mind but we've been alerted to the fact that your mobile number was appearing in the shot of your text message so we've zapped that picture for you - figured you probably had better things to do with your weekend than potentially answer the phone to a load of prank callers.

verynaiceham Sat 07-Oct-17 20:23:17

@IonaMumsnet The number shown was the where the text came from but no problem removing it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now