Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed with this topless lady?

(582 Posts)
user3785022135267845922 Fri 18-Aug-17 13:09:35

... we r on holiday in a family resort in sunny country. There is a lady who keeps ending up on the sun loungers opposite us, who seems to enjoy lying topless by the pool everyday. She has a DS who looks about 15, and a DD who looks about 5.

I think it's really inappropriate to sunbathe topless on a family resort in full view of everyone and right by the toddler pool, and with her own DS around. Am I being unreasonable in feeling uncomfortable and wishing she'd cover up?? smile

PennyTentiary Fri 18-Aug-17 16:08:00

Or this even!

PennyTentiary Fri 18-Aug-17 16:08:41

Whoops!

HemanOrSheRa Fri 18-Aug-17 16:10:02

Hehe! This is funny. I'm quite old and remember when topless sunbathing was all the rage. You were weird if you didn't have your baps out. It seemed to become less the thing and then this year - BOOBS grin. Lots of lovely boobs. We're in Mallorca right now and DS (12) had a teeny wobble when he saw the first pair. Though to be fair they were attached to the most GORGEOUS young woman. I had trouble not looking grin. Other than that we've seen all sorts of boobs - from young pert ones to old not so pert ones. I think it's lovely to see all shapes and sizes. I say that as a big woman sat in her bikinismile.

I wouldn't get my breasts out though because DS would die of The Cringe grin.

ButtHoleinOne Fri 18-Aug-17 16:17:23

People posting as if they walk around their town with boobs hanging out.

Well no, because you don't wear a swim suit to the shops either. confused

You must get that right?

Agree with a pp that mouths are way more sexual than breasts. Think about how much penis you've had there.

Meanwhile my boobs have lost most of their sexual feeling since I breastfed my kids. So why should I care that someone might see them as sexual, even though the op says they aren't sexy confused so what's the issue

blueshoes Fri 18-Aug-17 16:19:52

I don't want to see another woman's breasts in public. They are either visual pollution or exhibitionism. I don't much fancy seeing men's bare chests either.

ButtHoleinOne Fri 18-Aug-17 16:22:28

Visual pollution or exhibition.

Really? it couldn't possibly be they like to be more comfortable. Why don't we all wear jeans to the beach? No need to take anything off right?

Willow2017 Fri 18-Aug-17 16:23:33

I would be annoyed too. Some of us have the presence to know there is a difference between men's chests and women's breasts and the sexual arousal associated with them.

Why would you be annoyed at what another woman choses to wear? Half the bikinis around ar no bigger than postage stamps.

As someone else said, ANY part of you body can be sexually stimulating, get to work on my neck and I am jelly, should I cover up my neck at all times? And for some people breasts are not sexually arousing at all.

Oh and men find their nipples sexually arousing too so why shouldnt they cover them up also?

What a fuss over body parts. Boobs are there primarily for feeding babies, evolution didnt decide one day "I know I will stick some lumps on the front of womem to give men something to focus on whenever they see them"

In the 80s there were topless women everywhere, not being topless was harder to spot. This year I saw 2 woman topless on the beach the whole holiday.

I wouldnt do it but I dont give a fig who does, they are usually nicer to look at than moobs thats for sure (and god knows I saw plenty of them on holiday)

CrossSugarman Fri 18-Aug-17 16:23:44

Agree with a pp that mouths are way more sexual than breasts. Think about how much penis you've had there.

Careful now. The League of Decency will be after you.

FizzyGreenWater Fri 18-Aug-17 16:23:49

Boobidee boob

specialsubject Fri 18-Aug-17 16:25:45

if you are in a country and at a resort that doesn't mandate bikini tops, you are the unreasonable prude.

the fact that kids are around is utterly irrelevant.

Mummaofboys Fri 18-Aug-17 16:26:37

They are only boobs, if she is comfortable who cares, if you don't like it stop looking. I take it you told your husband to cover his chest too?

Boodles Fri 18-Aug-17 16:27:12

Question, if boobs are 'just boobs' isn't labia 'just labia? A penis 'just a penis'? So, on that logic should any level of nakedness be fine?

ButtHoleinOne Fri 18-Aug-17 16:27:37

Women's breasts are disgusting.

Boodles Fri 18-Aug-17 16:27:40

Just wondering grin

ButtHoleinOne Fri 18-Aug-17 16:29:44

Question, if boobs are 'just boobs' isn't labia 'just labia? A penis 'just a penis'? So, on that logic should any level of nakedness be fine?

Despite many men trying you can't have actual sex with a boob. You're talking about genitalia. Boobs are boobs. Like men and women have.

ButtHoleinOne Fri 18-Aug-17 16:30:30

Why is this ok?

Sittinginthesun Fri 18-Aug-17 16:30:47

I've got DH all flustered now. grin

Going on holiday with anotyer family next week, and mentioned this thread, and that it's been ages since I've sunbathed topless (windy Cornish or Britanny beaches require fleeces and raincoats...).

He went bright red, and muttered that he was popping out to the shop.

Mrscropley Fri 18-Aug-17 16:31:22

Is it not mixed messages to dc though? What's in your pants is private but feel free to get your boobs out?

Boodles Fri 18-Aug-17 16:31:54

Men and women also have a penis/labia just as much as they have boobs.

GladAllOver Fri 18-Aug-17 16:32:35

Some places I go to, that would be correct. Unfortunately it will be a long time before it will apply everywhere.

Dustbunny1900 Fri 18-Aug-17 16:33:23

Wow I get turned by my earlobes being sucked, had I known that was the criteria for a sexual organ I would have been covering them years ago! Heavens!

twattymctwatterson Fri 18-Aug-17 16:34:59

It really concerns me that a large number of adult women on this thread don't seem to understand that breasts are not genitalia

ButtHoleinOne Fri 18-Aug-17 16:37:01

No they're different. Vaginas and penises are different and all of society has been segregated based on that one small difference. It's discrimination though to say that women shouldn't have the same right men have to uncover a body part that has no sexual function different to a males purely because of male behaviour.

In a perfect world we should all be able to be naked but as most women would feel vulnerable it's unlikely to happen

VeryCunningStunt Fri 18-Aug-17 16:37:09

To my mind, yes. Though I'm not bothered about nudity in the slightest. Whether someone chooses to be stark naked, or chooses to cover every millimetre of skin, I don't care.

I would not expect to see someone naked in Tesco, and it's not my personal choice to be naked in public (though I have been in the past), but on a beach nudity wouldn't bother me a jot.

(We used to sail in the Med a lot when I was younger. So many naked people on boats. After you've seen hundreds of naked people of all ages and sizes, it becomes white noise)

PennyTentiary Fri 18-Aug-17 16:39:15

Mrscropley do you mean like men do?

Notknownatthisaddress Fri 18-Aug-17 16:40:14

I'm not gonna lie; I saw 2 women sunbathing topless on BARMOUTH beach in West Wales the other week. So it's not just 'abroad.'

There was a 4 foot high wall alongside the beach, and they were about 3 feet away from it, with their stuff against it.

DH isn't usually arsed to walk much, but he walked along the wall 7 times, 'just for the exercise...' mucky little bastard grin

Me personally, I did look (for a few seconds,) a couple of times, as I was curious, but even though I wouldn't go topless on the beach, (as I would be too shy to do so,) I have great admiration for women who are confident enough to do so.

Anyhoo, back to the point of the thread. The OP is not being unreasonable to feel a bit uncomfortable with someone showing boobies, coz she can't help how she feels. But she is being unreasonable if she thinks the woman is showy, and an exhibitionist.

Shagging with the windows open, when children are in next door's garden just to let people know you have a sex life! is exhibitionism; going topless on a beach when it's hot and sunny (particularly abroad,) is not.

Teaching your child(ren) that showing breasts is dirty or wrong, is not a good thing to do. And to say 'oh would you go topless when you're shopping in the supermarket?' is just plain bloody daft.

maddiemookins16mum Fri 18-Aug-17 16:44:39

Ok, so if boobs are just boobs, innocent part of the body etc why do we not see them on TV before 9pm (usually).

Mamahanji Fri 18-Aug-17 16:45:42

All you people stating breasts are a sexual object.

Some people find feet arousing and erotic. Does that mean I can't wear sandles?

And my breasts are for feeding my baby. My partner is on strict orders not to touch them at all as it makes me feel sick. They are not a sexual object for me at all. And I have no problem flopping them out in pencil.

(.)(.)

Mamahanji Fri 18-Aug-17 16:45:55

Haha *public

ButtHoleinOne Fri 18-Aug-17 16:48:08

Ok, so if boobs are just boobs, innocent part of the body etc why do we not see them on TV before 9

Because we have issues with the human female body and for the very same reason that a male organ is fine but a female orgasm will get you a higher parental advising in a film.

ButtHoleinOne Fri 18-Aug-17 16:48:53

Ahem male orgasm

BorisTrumpsHair Fri 18-Aug-17 16:54:20

At the womens bathing pond in hamstead heath at least half the women are sunning themselves topliss on a hot day.

And despite there being no men around (it's a women only pond) I didn't see any woman having an orgasm <disappointed>

BorisTrumpsHair Fri 18-Aug-17 16:54:32

sad

VeryCunningStunt Fri 18-Aug-17 16:54:45

Ok, so if boobs are just boobs, innocent part of the body etc why do we not see them on TV before 9pm (usually)

Because (as has been illustrated repeatedly on this thread) for a great many people a female breast is always interpreted as sexualised.

BorisTrumpsHair Fri 18-Aug-17 16:59:19

Ok, so if boobs are just boobs, innocent part of the body etc

So you think breasts lack innocence?

What are they then - Devious? Sneaky? Experienced? Devilish?

angelgirls Fri 18-Aug-17 16:59:43

YABU I sunbathe topless all the time when on holiday around the pool! I don't wonder around topless but will lay on the bed, if I need to get up for any reason then I pop my top on,

footballmum Fri 18-Aug-17 17:05:48

I remember going on holiday with my man and grandad when I was about 10 and she went topless. I was horrified despite the fact that the majority of women on the beach were also topless. But she was my NAN 😱 I can remember it clearly (nearly 40 years on) so I've obviously been scarred for life grin

footballmum Fri 18-Aug-17 17:07:17

Oops! My nan. Not my man. I didn't have a man when I wasn't 10 blush

HemanOrSheRa Fri 18-Aug-17 17:07:19

Hmmmm. I like seeing/watching women on the beach/pool. Not in a pervy way but isn't it nice to see that we all come in different shapes and sizes. I think it's fabulous.

Dina1234 Fri 18-Aug-17 17:09:49

Toddlers see breasts all the time, I doubt they're bothered by it,

Emboo19 Fri 18-Aug-17 17:12:09

I've no problem with it, but then I sunbathe topless myself. Not so much on public beaches or pools, as others have said leering men make it off putting. But my parents and their friends hire a villa once a year and I always do when there.

My Dp was very shocked when he first came away with my family, and I sunbathed topless in front of my dad. He did struggle with where to look when my mum and her friends were topless too.
Bless him, he's used to it now!

LoniceraJaponica Fri 18-Aug-17 17:13:03

SheWhoLivesHere I am not victim blaming and I don’t appreciate being told to f***off!

What I am trying to say and not succeeding very well is that if there is one topless woman by the pool are you absolutely certain that every hetero male will immediately avert their eyes?

I like looking at cats and if I see a particularly beautiful one should I not be allowed to look?

I couldn’t care less whether women want to go topless, but I haven’t seen a topless woman on holiday for a few years. It seems to have gone out of fashion in the places we go on holiday to.

“Some people find feet arousing and erotic.”

You don’t see feet on page 3 of the Sun do you though?

“Because (as has been illustrated repeatedly on this thread) for a great many people a female breast is always interpreted as sexualised.”

Exactly this ^^, and some posters seems not to be able to understand this. Perhaps I spend too much time around teenage boys. No, I don't have one myself.

BorisTrumpsHair Fri 18-Aug-17 17:16:22

are you seriously using Page 3 as justification for why women should not expose their beasts to the sun at a pool or beach?

You know breasts existed long before page 3 don't you?

LoniceraJaponica Fri 18-Aug-17 17:19:26

No. I'm using page 3 as an example of why they are still seen as titillating. If they weren't then page 3 wouldn't exist. Can you not see that?

C0untDucku1a Fri 18-Aug-17 17:27:15

mrscropley since you dont keep your breasts in your pants, how could it possibly be a mixed message?

Im not surprised breastfeeding rates in the uk are so low when so many women have such warped views on their own breasts.

PennyTentiary Fri 18-Aug-17 17:31:49

Titillating! On a thread about breasts! Snigger grin

LoniceraJaponica Fri 18-Aug-17 17:32:00

"Im not surprised breastfeeding rates in the uk are so low when so many women have such warped views on their own breasts."

I agree C0unt.

AboutAGallonofDietCoke Fri 18-Aug-17 17:32:26

What is my problem Butthole?

I think given your massive, sweary over-reaction to someone not agreeing with you, everyone can tell who has a problem.

LoniceraJaponica Fri 18-Aug-17 17:32:39

Stop tittering Penny grin

fluffiphlox Fri 18-Aug-17 17:39:20

In the South of France forty years ago practically every woman was topless. It's nothing new. It's not a big deal. Enjoy your holiday.

PennyTentiary Fri 18-Aug-17 17:40:21

I can't! The inner me is 12 years old grin

BorisTrumpsHair Fri 18-Aug-17 17:40:23

Women don't need to live their lives through the male gaze. We can make decisions for ourselves.

Some men find breasts titillating. many men think breasts are really nice, and find certain ones a turn on, but they can cope really well in the presence of them - just like they can cope with ears and necks, because they are proper people, and are not controlled by breasts. many men are quite indifferent to them. Whatever!

i do feel very sorry for men who turn into such gawkers or can't handle themselves in the presence of the female physical form - it's really quite pathetic. Still we don't need to all revolve our lives around them now do we?

I imagine they must have difficulties in art galleries to.

Emboo19 Fri 18-Aug-17 17:43:34

Im not surprised breastfeeding rates in the uk are so low when so many women have such warped views on their own breasts.

I was thinking the same thing!

My DP isn't overly keen on me breastfeeding in front of his male friends and he was the same with me potentially sunbathing topless in front of them. It does annoy me. But I think it's so ingrained that breasts are sexual, he thinks his mates will be ogaling them, baby attached or not!

ButtHoleinOne Fri 18-Aug-17 17:43:35

Is it ok for men to openly ogle women in bathing suits then or just tooless women? When does it become the women's fault a man can't act like an adult?

Boodles Fri 18-Aug-17 17:44:23

What is wrong with thinking of breasts as sexual? (I know that their primary function is to feed our offspring)

Also we have people saying that they aren't sexual then in the next breath talking about their husbands enjoying seeing them on the beach. They are either sexual or not to you.

I am also not sure about the breast feeding comment, speaking as someone who has both used my breasts for feeding and also for sexual enjoyment.

grin

ButtHoleinOne Fri 18-Aug-17 17:46:04

What is my problem Butthole?

I think I addressed that in my previous post.

ButtHoleinOne Fri 18-Aug-17 17:47:44

They can be sexual (like any pet of the human body) but it's the fact that men find them sexual that we have to hide them)

AboutAGallonofDietCoke Fri 18-Aug-17 17:48:15

Really Butthole, just looked like ranting to me.....

ButtHoleinOne Fri 18-Aug-17 17:48:55

It's weird actually it's slut shaming (hate the term, but you know what I mean) on a societal level.

Breasts are great as long as you only share them with one man

ButtHoleinOne Fri 18-Aug-17 17:51:30

I'm not surprised you struggled with it tbh.

maddiemookins16mum Fri 18-Aug-17 17:53:52

Of course breasts are sexual ffs.....

AboutAGallonofDietCoke Fri 18-Aug-17 17:54:17

Yeah, because you come across really bright!

Carry on....

malificent7 Fri 18-Aug-17 17:59:46

Where are my pearls? .... . i need to clutch them!

malificent7 Fri 18-Aug-17 18:01:29

I expect men enjoy looking at boobs as much as i love looking at a tanned male torso! Lots... but i still love dp!

FreyaJade Fri 18-Aug-17 18:07:48

Basically children are likely to see the same if a woman is openly breastfeeding.

I wouldn't go topless on the beach but I've got friends who do to get a better tan.

Not sure if they would go topless by a pool but then we never stay round the pool on holiday abroad because we go to the beach.

In fact if OP is easily offended she'd better not go to any isolated beaches abroad especially on the Spanish or Greek islands as there are often (shock) naked people!

Purplemac Fri 18-Aug-17 18:08:35

My mum always sunburned topless when I was younger (as a small child and as a teenager). She did not give a shit and neither did I or my brothers - although she was once told NOT to go into the pool topless as they were floating up by her shoulders grin

I only did it on my honeymoon and it was liberating. I don't think I will be on this holiday in a few weeks because I'm a size 18 now and don't have the confidence - but that might change depending on the atmosphere when I get there.

LoniceraJaponica Fri 18-Aug-17 18:09:22

"I expect men enjoy looking at boobs as much as i love looking at a tanned male torso!"

Yes, exactly. People don't walk around with blinkers on their eyes. Rightly or wrongly some men (and maybe some women) like ogling at topless women - and some don't.

Notknownatthisaddress Fri 18-Aug-17 18:14:38

@Maddiemookins16mum

I have seen boobs before 9pm - on health programmes and health articles on morning tv.

The reason they're not shown on dramas and soaps as part of a story (before 9pm) is because of people like you. People who make out and imply, and even insist that boobs are 'sordid.'

Bet you cringe and recoil when you see a woman breastfeeding her baby too. I somehow think you don't have your heart skip a beat with the cuteness when you see it.

VeryCunningStunt Fri 18-Aug-17 18:19:23

What is wrong with thinking of breasts as sexual? (I know that their primary function is to feed our offspring)

Nothing. But one prevalent line of argument seems to be that going yopless is not acceptable because some men cannot help but ogle.

Which brings me back to my earlier point about the often unquestioned acceptance of allowing the male gaze to define and determine which female body choices are socially acceptable.

VeryCunningStunt Fri 18-Aug-17 18:20:06

'Yopless' grin Well done, autocorrect!

LoniceraJaponica Fri 18-Aug-17 18:41:12

Good point Cunning

CrossSugarman Fri 18-Aug-17 19:25:58

Where are my pearls? .... . i need to clutch them!

Hanging between your naked baps!

alwaysprepare Fri 18-Aug-17 19:27:42

Jacques, I doubt very much you go topless in your front garden unless you have a private front garden. And you surely don't Do that in front of your terrace house, nor do you go to the shop in that state. None of you do. And I most certainly have never seen anyone do. Seen plenty of ears, scandals exposing feet, vests exposing arms etc. But I never saw a vagina, penis or breasts just walking around exposed like that down my street.

A swimming costume has nothing to do with it, men go to the shop in blistering heat topless and I just don't like it.

OP clearly stated it was a family resort. That means a cap on certain things, load partying, drunk stag do people shouting profanities across the pool etc.
So I am not surprised she doesn't feel like looking at this woman's boobs.
All nice and well, but she did not pay to watch this woman's boobs.

FreyaJade Fri 18-Aug-17 19:31:31

At the Spanish family resort I went to recently there were plenty of topless women, and plenty of children running round seeing them.

ohhereweareagain Fri 18-Aug-17 19:32:21

Yabu. They are only breasts. I think you sound very straight/prudish & uptight tbh. I think you envy her freespiritedness . I'd get mine out too if others were topless. Good for her smile

Pippin8 Fri 18-Aug-17 19:43:12

I usually go topless & have done most years since DC were small. My children have never had a problem with it. Although I will have to ask DS (17) how he feels about it this year grin

SomeOtherFuckers Fri 18-Aug-17 19:54:09

A) with her son around ..... why on earth should her son be unaware his mum has boobs?
B) kids don't care - only adults do.

SomeOtherFuckers Fri 18-Aug-17 19:56:59

Everyone in the S of France was toess when I went this summer ( obviously not literally everyone but many women)

SomeOtherFuckers Fri 18-Aug-17 19:59:18

I also got mine out and this is actually the first time - the only reason I haven't before is that I look very young for my age and have t wanted anyone feeling uncomfortable thinking they're seeing a 16yo's boobs

Boodles Fri 18-Aug-17 20:04:55

I would worry about the skin on my boobs and nipples as they don't see the sun for 99% of the year and then suddenly they are out in all their milk bottle white glare! grin

VeryCunningStunt Fri 18-Aug-17 20:09:01

All nice and well, but she did not pay to watch this woman's boobs

If it was against the rules of the resort, management would have asked her to wear a top. As she was topless most of the time, the venue must not have had an issue with it. The OP's personal preferences are irrelevant if no pool rules were being broken. If topless by the pool is acceptable in the country that the OP is visiting, it's the height of arrogance to expect that your own personal boundaries should be the benchmark for other people's behaviour. We don't get to dictate that others tailor their actions to suit us.

I'm cannot fathom that she was forced to look at this woman's breasts under duress anyway. There were probably loads of things other than thdctwo breasts of one individual that she could have focused her attention on. Mine are huge, but it's never yet been the case that they're the biggest thing in the room and obscure everyone's view of everything else in the vicinity.

CrossSugarman Fri 18-Aug-17 20:13:53

OP clearly stated it was a family resort. That means a cap on certain things, load partying, drunk stag do people shouting profanities across the pool etc.

It's really not in a category with anti social behaviours!

Is this Mary Whitehouse attitude to topless sunbathing a new thing on MN?? So odd.

RallyRoundTheFlagBoys Fri 18-Aug-17 20:19:36

I don't have a problem with topless sunbathing per se, but I do think it's a bit off for a mum to sunbathe topless in front of her teenage son. No teenager wants to see that, and I bet he feels really uncomfortable with it.

disneydatknee Fri 18-Aug-17 20:35:43

I wouldn't have a problem with it other than being super jealous that I can't get mine out on a sun lounger without them rolling under my arm pits grinthey arnt what they used to he after 2 kids

VeryCunningStunt Fri 18-Aug-17 20:46:02

I do think it's a bit off for a mum to sunbathe topless in front of her teenage son. No teenager wants to see that, and I bet he feels really uncomfortable with it

For all we know they could be an entirely naked family in the privacy of their own home. Many teenagers find it very easy to express their embarrassment at their parents' very existence, so I'd guess if he was mortified he could say something.

I've seen whole families comfortably naked together. It's extrapolating somewhat to say 'no teenager wants to see that' when you haven't a clue what passes as acceptable to them.

GladAllOver Fri 18-Aug-17 20:58:48

I don't have a problem with topless sunbathing per se, but I do think it's a bit off for a mum to sunbathe topless in front of her teenage son. No teenager wants to see that, and I bet he feels really uncomfortable with it.
That's your opinion and you are entitled to have it. But don't project your hangups onto other people with more sensible attitudes to their bodies.

Emboo19 Fri 18-Aug-17 21:02:16

I do think it's a bit off for a mum to sunbathe topless in front of her teenage son. No teenager wants to see that, and I bet he feels really uncomfortable with it

What about in front of teenage daughters? Is that ok because they're girls. Or what about dads sunbathing topless in front of their teenage daughters?
My mum sunbathed topless in front of me as I do in front of her. But then I've also, shock horror, seen my both my parents naked!
To be fair parents are supposed to embarrass their teens, it's like a right of passage really. And personally I think some teen boys could benefit from seeing what women's bodies look like, outside of porn!

maddiemookins16mum Fri 18-Aug-17 21:43:33

Only on MN do mums of 14 year old sons think its ok to walk around naked.
I bet they think otherwise. (The sons, that is).

ButtHoleinOne Fri 18-Aug-17 21:51:49

And only on MN do people think 14 year olds are incapable of letting the entire world know when their mum is embarrassing them

katronfon Fri 18-Aug-17 21:52:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nikitasol Fri 18-Aug-17 21:58:27

Get a life woman and just enjoy your holiday ffs!

TangledUpInGin Fri 18-Aug-17 22:04:40

I saw a lady sunbathing topless last week. I was with my two sons who didn't notice. It was an absolute non occurrence in our lives. I spoke to the random boob barer (absolutely not in a 'why are you showing your boobs way, just passing the time way) and she was a really lovely. I obviously tried to hate her because of her fantastic body and confidence, but she was just so nice and friendly I couldn't blushenvy

Lordamighty Fri 18-Aug-17 22:06:38

In all my years on holidays abroad I have never seen any woman sunbathing topless that wouldn't have looked better with the top on.
I realise that this is not the prevailing view on here but nevertheless it is the truth.

VeryCunningStunt Fri 18-Aug-17 22:11:28

In all my years on holidays abroad I have never seen any woman sunbathing topless that wouldn't have looked better with the top on

That's a pretty unpleasant judgement of other women's bodies.

Of course, it's entirely possible that your opinion, or indeed anyone's opinion, of their appearance had absolutely zero relevance to their decision.

It's almost as if the primary purpose of women's bodies is not to be aesthetically pleasing to anyone who fancies passing judgement. Crazy old world. hmm

Willow2017 Fri 18-Aug-17 22:16:39

Nobody is forcing op to look at this woman constantly.
Hell I didnt spend my holiday looking at the person sitting next to me at the pool why would I?

I didnt 'pay' to look at other people and decide which one was good enough to sit next to me or not, I paid for a holiday.

Smidge001 Fri 18-Aug-17 22:24:44

YABU. There should be no issue whatsoever with sunbathing topless.

What I find particularly strange/interesting though, is your concern over it happening specifically in a family resort. Personally I would much prefer to sunbathe topless in a family resort than I would in a club 16-30s type resort. I feel as though far fewer people in a family resort would be staring/objectifying me than somewhere full of young singles!

VeryCunningStunt Fri 18-Aug-17 22:29:50

I feel as though far fewer people in a family resort would be staring/objectifying me than somewhere full of young singles!

Apparently not, if the body shaming post a few posts above is anything to go by. You'll be being judged for not looking good enough with your top off. Looking shit without a bikini top on is 'the truth', apparently grin

squoosh Fri 18-Aug-17 22:29:51

In all my years on holidays abroad I have never seen any woman sunbathing topless that wouldn't have looked better with the top on

Irrelevant really. I've never seen a man in tiny snug Speedos who wouldn't look better in shorts. But I wouldn't get annoyed at the sight of them as the OP is annoyed at this woman's bare breasts.

Don't go on a European sun holiday if tits offend you. Stick to the Lake District.

babynugget Fri 18-Aug-17 22:38:16

OP I love how you are handling this thread despite all the grief you are getting. I'm with you. It's weird - end of. I was at a huge holiday park a few years ago. I mean massive. Broken into lots of different sections. Literally everyone there had their own private space beside their accommodation, whether that was tent, caravan, chalet or equivalent. One woman in the whole 900 million acres of park plonks herself right next to he kids play park, football pitch, etc and gets her baps out to sunbathe for the afternoon!!! Just odd!

TheWeeWitch Fri 18-Aug-17 22:40:07

Don't go to Switzerland on a ski holiday op - you'll not cope with the stark naked men women and children jumping in the hotel hot tub with you!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »