Talk

Advanced search

To ask you why you drink?

(132 Posts)
UnderAWanderingStar Fri 12-May-17 14:01:36

thats all. I hope I'm not being impertinent with this question....

tinhead Fri 12-May-17 14:02:36

It's delicious and fun

araiwa Fri 12-May-17 14:03:27

to make other people more interesting

IrianOfW Fri 12-May-17 14:04:03

If I didn't drink I would get kidney failure, dehydrate and die.

Pinkheart5917 Fri 12-May-17 14:04:43

I like the taste

I like snuggling up with dh on the sofa once dc are asleep with a nice glass of wine.

I like wine with my dinner a few times a week, as a good wine can really compliment the food.

IntheBenefitTrap Fri 12-May-17 14:05:56

I don't smile I don't understand drinking - I'd never look down on others for doing it, but I just don't personally get it. It's expensive, it doesn't taste great, it makes you feel funny and you're ill the next day. No thanks!

SomeOtherFuckers Fri 12-May-17 14:06:52

To escape the mundane reality of life

Ecureuil Fri 12-May-17 14:07:13

Because I enjoy it. I like the taste of a nice wine, or a cold g&t in the summer. It makes me feel relaxed.

Why do you ask?

Ecureuil Fri 12-May-17 14:08:12

IntheBenefitTrap it does taste great... to me. It makes me feel nice, not funny. And I never drink so much that I'm ill the next day.

treaclesoda Fri 12-May-17 14:08:42

Because it tastes nice. Not all drinks of course, but then I don't drink all drinks, only ones I like.

TheFifthKey Fri 12-May-17 14:09:15

I do like the taste though, genuinely. I enjoy the bitter edge of alcohol which is never replicated in a soft drink. I rarely get drunk though and often deliberately drink slowly/small enough drinks so I barely feel the effects at all - I don't want a hangover and usually I'm in charge of small DC so don't want to be very impaired. I still love a glass of wine or a G&T though!

petitdonkey Fri 12-May-17 14:09:44

I'm exactly like Ecureuil - just the thought of a beautiful glass of wine or a lovely G&T....

Oh and champagne... I really enjoy it.

Alwayshungryforcrisps Fri 12-May-17 14:09:55

Because a life without wine is like a life without sunshine grin

Artisanjam Fri 12-May-17 14:09:59

I like the taste of the drinks I drink. I don't drink anything I don't like the taste of.

Bluntness100 Fri 12-May-17 14:10:18

Also because I like it. It's a nice way to relax, sharing a bottle of wine over dinner or in a restaurant. It's nice to have a few too many with friends and be silly and have fun. It's nice to sit in the garden on a hot summers evening with a glass of wine and chatting. I like it, it tastes nice and it's fun.

lovelycuppateas Fri 12-May-17 14:10:39

I'm a social drinker - very rarely have anything with dinner at home, but am so looking forward to going to have a drink with friends after work tonight! It's a weekly tradition - I don't get drunk but having an alcoholic drink is more a sign of being able to relax and not be in charge for a while.

sadsquid Fri 12-May-17 14:12:13

When I drank, it was a) because I like the taste and b) because it signaled to my brain that this was down time, fun time, time to stop worrying about work or whatever.

I've virtually stopped drinking now because I cut down hugely when pregnant with DC1, lost a lot of my alcohol tolerance, and found when I did drink again that I didn't actually enjoy the effect. Now I feel fuzzy-headed and a bit paranoid after even one drink, so I just don't have any. But I massively miss the taste.

IntheBenefitTrap Fri 12-May-17 14:13:36

Ecur - that's fair enough! I've tried lots and never found the taste of anything nice. But obviously that's personal preference. Wine tastes like vinegar and gin like perfume grin

PeaFaceMcgee Fri 12-May-17 14:14:39

I do it less and less tbh as there are more cons that pros, for me.

Cons include the cost, the fact most wine now causes me to have a racing heart and panic feeling hours later, disturbed sleep, my tolerance hasn't been the same since pregnancy and drinking more than 2 glasses is horrid, the calories, the increased risk of certain cancers, being on-call, being a mum and needing to be clear-headed, having a real fear / distrust of drunk people after growing up with alcoholic dad (now dead as result... horrid undignified death and I had to manage everything alone)

Pros: that warm feeling that makes everything a little softer, fuzzy and feel better for a bit!

upperlimit Fri 12-May-17 14:15:26

To celebrate, to relax, to commiserate...I actually don't drink very often or very much really but I do think it's​ lovely.

FauxFox Fri 12-May-17 14:15:59

I used to say all of the above... the honest truth was that I felt like drinking wine at home made an evening more exciting or special, it was the grown up, fun and 'cool' thing to do.

I haven't drunk booze since NYE and it's much nicer without - even though i was never hungover or anything there was always a little nagging voice in my head that too many units was not good for my long term health and spending all that money on wine was a waste...i'm happier without smile i will probably have the odd drink when i have a rare night out but i'm not drinking at home any more - no need!

PeaFaceMcgee Fri 12-May-17 14:16:07

Oh and I guess I like the taste of some drinks too, obvs!

DeepfriedPizza Fri 12-May-17 14:18:10

Water to stay hydrated
Tea for comfort and warmth
coffee to stay awake
Irn Bru because it goes well with chips
Wine because I like it
Gin because it makes me like other people

I think that's it

UnderAWanderingStar Fri 12-May-17 14:18:39

I will add my reasons in a bit, it just really occurred to me today ...

CainDinglesLeatherJacket Fri 12-May-17 14:18:45

Like @IntheBenefitTrap I don't drink because I have never found anything that tastes nice to me. I also don't like feeling tipsy or drunk, as I find it really disorienting. That and it makes me depressed.

A good cup of tea, on the other hand...grinbrew

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now