Talk

Advanced search

Is the word 'draws' now an acceptable way to describe 'drawers'

(95 Posts)
WritingHome Mon 13-Mar-17 16:00:01

I have read this on a number of threads now, people writing 'I put it in the draw' or I am looking for new 'draws' or the worst yet was a 'Chester draw'

How has this happened?

Is it not corrected in school? Or is it an evolved use of language? I can't get used to it. But I am old..

BigGreenOlives Mon 13-Mar-17 16:04:06

It is not acceptable but it doesn't really matter. The standard of written English has deteriorated, I wonder whether voice recognition software will improve it again?

GrumpyOldBlonde Mon 13-Mar-17 16:05:02

It's very common now and the subject comes up on threads a lot Also loose for lose (I need to loose weight) and alot (I need to loose alot of weight)
I'm never sure if it's down to autocorrect, poor spelling or modern teaching methods.

I don't think it's down to dyslexia as often the spelling is generally fine but certain words seem to be sticking points for many people, always the same words too.

MiddlingMum Mon 13-Mar-17 16:05:57

It's wrong. The sloppiness of the English language is worrying and depressing.

JennyOnAPlate Mon 13-Mar-17 16:08:03

I see Chester draws a lot on Facebook selling sites. I don't think it's a new accepted way though, I think a lot of people just can't spell!

SalemSaberhagen Mon 13-Mar-17 16:08:31

It is wrong, but I do pronounce draw and drawer the same, so it might just be a simple misspelling.

thecitydoc Mon 13-Mar-17 16:09:47

wrong and lazy

Greenteeth Mon 13-Mar-17 16:10:45

Bad spelling. Draw instead of drawer is one of my per hates.

Katinkka Mon 13-Mar-17 16:12:18

No. People are uneducated.

MrsMoastyToasty Mon 13-Mar-17 16:12:19

It's the same thing with caravans. I see 5 birth caravan for sell (rather than 5 berth caravan for sale).on Facebook and lots.

Bundesliga Mon 13-Mar-17 16:12:40

I'm glad you posted this, I've seen "draw" so much lately that I was beginning to think that I was incorrect using "drawer" !

DaffodilsAreMyFav Mon 13-Mar-17 16:13:20

No, not acceptable.

Goldfishing Mon 13-Mar-17 16:13:32

I used to get all worked up over the 'should of' brigade but it's pretty pointless ultimately.

Now I try to look on the bright side; fairly soon, people with good (even average) standards of literacy will have a huge advantage in pretty much every area of life where there is any form of competition.

So, I say knock yourselves out with your inadvertent malapropisms; they give me a chuckle and mean my DCs will have better opportunities in life.

Goldfishing Mon 13-Mar-17 16:14:49

...although I recently saw someone talking about being 'put up on a pedal stool' <<wince>>

daisygirlmac Mon 13-Mar-17 16:16:33

This hurt my eyes today

Bundesliga Mon 13-Mar-17 16:16:37

Ah that's a great one, Goldfishing 😂

hellooooooomama Mon 13-Mar-17 16:16:50

Not acceptable no.

pigsDOfly Mon 13-Mar-17 16:18:54

No it's not acceptable, yet, but given the recent changed meaning of so many words that have become acceptable by the OED, it can't be long.

If enough people cannot, or will not, learn the meaning of certain words or how to spell common word, it seems that their lack of knowledge is fine and those mistakes becomes the norm.

Very frustrating.

ShakeofFara Mon 13-Mar-17 16:18:58

I hate draw instead of drawer. They are two different words and I say them differently, how can they sound the same?

Goldfishing Mon 13-Mar-17 16:23:15

I think it comes from a lack of interaction with the proper written word, so not enough reading of sufficiently intellectual content.

I'm not going to claim perfection, but I do take pride in my written communication. It is often the only thing about me that anyone has to go on and I want to put my best foot forward, so to speak. I find it hard to understand why anybody wouldn't?

Previously1488218868 Mon 13-Mar-17 16:25:33

Depending on where you are from it used to be normal to say draws, at least when I was growing up so probably any time before 1950's. I knew someone that made furniture and he said draws, presumably because you draw them in and out.

It is considered wrong now but has been around for a long time.

Dontactlikeyouknowme Mon 13-Mar-17 16:26:24

This again?

Foxyloxy1plus1 Mon 13-Mar-17 16:28:34

How can they sound the same? It's a drawER.

Dontactlikeyouknowme Mon 13-Mar-17 16:30:54

I say draw.

mateysmum Mon 13-Mar-17 16:32:47

All kinds of unacceptable. Makes my teeth itch every time I see it.

That and the use of "of" in place of "have" as in "I would of"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now