Talk

Advanced search

to ask for help with choosing hair straighteners?

(36 Posts)
Newtoday Thu 15-Dec-16 13:41:05

Posting here too for traffic!

So, it's between the Sapphire Pro or the S3500...both Remington.

I've researched GHDs and don't think the newer models are worth it. I've researched Cloud 9s but they are very expensive where I live.

I've thin (after pregnancy) and scruffy looking just-past-shoulder length hair. Scruffy as I've a natural curl/flyaway thing going on and while very easy to blow dry, it doesn't hold and looks rubbish once I leave the house!

Very professional job so need good hair!

TIA!

PaulAnkaTheDog Thu 15-Dec-16 13:44:34

Ever thought about one of those heated air brush things for drying it? A friend has similar hair to what you've described and it's done wonders for her.

amusedbush Thu 15-Dec-16 13:48:31

Either Cloud 9's or L'Oreal Steampod - they are worth spending the money if you can.

Oysterbabe Thu 15-Dec-16 13:49:20

Not what you asked but I'd just get GHDs. I've made a few attempts over the years to buy other brands that are allegedly as good or better. They never are.

Newtoday Thu 15-Dec-16 13:53:40

I have the heated hairbrush. But I'm really looking for sleek, shiny and stays put rather than my current slightly frizzy, cowlick-y and messy hair!

Newtoday Thu 15-Dec-16 13:54:19

Remington fans anywhere?

DailyFail1 Thu 15-Dec-16 13:55:31

I have thick curly hair and can only use ghds for a long lasting straighten

GizmoFrisby Thu 15-Dec-16 13:59:46

Cloud 9s are 100% better than ghds. A little more expensive. But a fantastic product

GizmoFrisby Thu 15-Dec-16 14:00:24

I have long thick curly hair and a hairdresser

Cellardoor23 Thu 15-Dec-16 14:01:57

I've had Remington hair straighteners before and I found it pulled my hair out.

I agree about the steampod. Defiantly worth spending the extra money on if you're particular about your hair! I have ghd's as well but they're not as good I don't think in comparison.

They usually have deals on the look fantastic website.

Cellardoor23 Thu 15-Dec-16 14:04:43

*definitely I mean!

pinkieandperkie Thu 15-Dec-16 14:10:02

I would go for ghds. I've had mine for years and they are still going strong.

Mysterycat23 Thu 15-Dec-16 14:10:54

Remington s6300. Got from Argos on sale. Thought they would be ok, they are actually amazing!!!

Mysterycat23 Thu 15-Dec-16 14:13:51

PS. If it's glossy and sleek you're after you need a good heat defence spray to use every time before you blow dry and straighten. Savers have a good range, and cheaper than anywhere else, have tried a few and best so far is L'Oreal studio line hot and straight. Pink spray bottle smile

hellsbellsmelons Thu 15-Dec-16 14:17:58

I have thick curly hair and GHD's are crap!
I'm a Remington fan and anyone who uses mine say how great they are compared to GHDs
THIS SET is really cheap and what I have, half price, maybe worth a try. The brushes are nice as well.
I used to have THESE which were also very good.

Newtoday Thu 15-Dec-16 14:39:30

Thanks everyone! Cloud 9 look great but I'm still tempted by Remington...

Good point about the protection sprays! Which are best?

amusedbush Thu 15-Dec-16 14:49:15

Cloud 9s are 100% better than ghds. A little more expensive. But a fantastic product

They are. I have fairly fine, very curly hair and GHDs frazzle it. They make the ends fray, they don't keep my hair straight and it feels like straw when I use them.

Newtoday Thu 15-Dec-16 14:57:47

Think I'm going for the first set hellsbells recommended...!

macromolecule Thu 15-Dec-16 15:03:42

I have the Remington ceramic 230 straighteners and they're as good as the ones I had before which cost about 4 times as much. Your hair type sounds similar to mine as well! I have to battle it into submission every morning.

Pippa12 Thu 15-Dec-16 15:12:14

I have babyliss diamond hair straighteners and I love them. Adjustable heat settings and long plate for faster straightening. The best thing was I bought them off ebay from a 'returns/ex catalogue/reconditioned' seller for £25 after my ghds broke and cash was tight due to maternity leave. I thought they'd tide me over a few months but 12 months later they're still going strong and if they did (god forbid!) break I'd buy the same set.

I also have fly away curly hair and use a hot brush (babyliss Diamond) to dry it. If you blow dry your hair with a hairdryer (around 70%) dry and style with hot brush then whip over with straightener you'll notice a difference. My hair is much thicker and less frizzy as the hot brush does most of the straightening meaning less harsh ironing on my hair. A Brazilian blow dry is also a frizzy girls hairs best friend.

eyespydreams Thu 15-Dec-16 15:25:38

Any other hot brush recommendations?

Kel1234 Thu 15-Dec-16 15:28:19

Again I know you said no, but GHD's are the only straighteners that work on my hair, I have naturally curly hair that goes really frizzy.

hellsbellsmelons Thu 15-Dec-16 15:29:13

Babylis big hair is what I want nice wavy (rather than mega curly) hair with some volume.
Also a good base for straightening.

Newtoday Thu 15-Dec-16 16:10:11

I have the babyliss big hair! It's great but hair still ends up messy...

Isyss Thu 15-Dec-16 17:48:48

i use saff Remington get them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now