Talk

Advanced search

to have made an official complaint to ASDA

(36 Posts)
realcoalfire Sun 06-Jan-13 16:57:51

I took my DD(7) to visit a friend who is in hospital in another town, having chemotherapy.She just stays an hour because the child tires easily.I am not allowed to stay and usually pop for a coffee or to the ASDA opposite the hospital to kill the time.
Anyway today I had my coffee and still 20 minutes to spare so I went into ASDA wandered round and picked up a few items and went to the self service checkout.One of the items came up with 'unexpected weight , wait for assistance' (or somesuch) so I waited and waited and waited (at least 7 or 8 minutes I would think).Eventually I picked my goods up and put them through on the next machine and paid .i was just picking my bag up , the when an ASda assistant arrived and said in a confrontational way 'did you leave this machine' I said 'yes' it got stuck, and I couldn't wait any longer because I am in a hurry'
She said quite confrontationally 'well you have been reported to the Police for shoplifting' ( there is a police desk near the door (nice place!!))
I pointed out that I had paid for the goods .Yes she said but the police class it as a 'walk off and that is shoplifting' By then everyone was turning round to look at me. She was waving a receipt at me that the original machine had printed off (I am wondering if it automatically sends message to teh police desk near the door) well I said I have done nothing, and if you have made a report to the police then that's your problem. 'No she shouted after me 'It's YOUR problem'
I was really embarrassed and humiliated by this bonkers woman. DH who many many years ago was a supermarket manager said she was completely bang out of order, and encouraged me to ring up ASDA and complain.Now I have cooled down I feel a bit bad as I don't like getting people in trouble.

RyleDup Sun 06-Jan-13 16:59:49

I'd complain. Cheeky bitch.

mrscumberbatch Sun 06-Jan-13 17:00:39

Woman was a bit OTT indeed. I'd put in a complaint- ridiculous situation to get caught up in.

PeshwariNaan Sun 06-Jan-13 17:00:49

You should complain. SHOCKING that staff would treat a paying customer like that.

glitch Sun 06-Jan-13 17:01:14

I didn't think they could accuse anyone of shoplifting until they have actually gone out of the main doors so certainly not for changing machine when no staff are there to assist.
Definitely complain, she was totally out of order

HollyBerryBush Sun 06-Jan-13 17:01:30

I'm not a complainer by nature - honest - but yes, I would be emailing their Ho about that.

Did you get her name? she must have had a badge on.

shallweshop Sun 06-Jan-13 17:03:35

That sounds horribly humiliating and you are right to have complained.

ResolutelyCheeky Sun 06-Jan-13 17:06:00

But what happened at the police desk?

PepsiCoco Sun 06-Jan-13 17:07:26

YANBU how awful.

FeckOffCup Sun 06-Jan-13 17:07:30

YANBU, self service tills are a pain in the arse and they always seem to mess up for me too and you can wait ages for someone to come and sort it out. Sounds like the staff member could do with some customer relations training, it's not shoplifting if you paid for the stuff and it can't be that hard to void a transaction from the machine.

greenfolder Sun 06-Jan-13 17:07:51

Huh? oh yes complain.

You have done nothing wrong apart from walk away from their ridiculous machine due to lack of staffing. How can you be accused of stealing when you have paid? Surely, the worst they could do is politely ask to check your receipt against the contents of your bag?

if they choose to use technology to reduce the number of staff and still dont employ the minimal number required, they could at least do some training. WTF is a walk off? Is it the pedestrian equivalent of a drive off? they are making it up!

Pixieonthemoor Sun 06-Jan-13 17:09:01

What glitch said. Totally disgusting behaviour by the woman.

ILikeWhisperingToo Sun 06-Jan-13 17:09:37

It should be on cctv too, so irrefutable really. yy to 'not shoplifting unless you leave the shop'.

Cherriesarelovely Sun 06-Jan-13 17:10:03

Yes, what happened next? You would be completely right to make a complaint. That sounds crazy!

complexnumber Sun 06-Jan-13 17:17:10

Did you get her name? she must have had a badge on.

Why? Most people do not have to wander around their workplace displaying their name, do they?

(Genuine question)

Eeebygum Sun 06-Jan-13 17:19:10

Definitely complain. I would keep complaining too until they took it seriously. It is shocking behaviour and they need to retrain their employees at the very least it would seem.

hermioneweasley Sun 06-Jan-13 17:19:32

She sounds awful and needs retaining, so you're right to complain

hermioneweasley Sun 06-Jan-13 17:19:50

Retraining not retaining

PaellaUmbrella Sun 06-Jan-13 17:21:19

YANBU. You didn't shoplift. I'd put in a big complaint.

realcoalfire Sun 06-Jan-13 17:22:21

Thanks for your replies, I am glad to hear that you agree that I am not being overly sensitive.She did have a name badge on, but I didn't take it in.She was the only female member of staff looking after about 12 self service machines though so i have given the time and a description, and the store manager will give me a ring within a couple of days.

HollyBerryBush Sun 06-Jan-13 17:22:30

Asda staff always wear ID badges, as do most supermarkets staff. Well they do round these parts.

I spent years calling one woman Greeter ( thinking it was a bizarre name) then realised she was labelled up ""Hello, I'm your greeter"" and on teh doors smiling at people

>wanders off in a dimwitted state of mind<

gallifrey Sun 06-Jan-13 17:22:49

you have to wear a name badge at all times when you are working at asda, so she should have had one on.

manticlimactic Sun 06-Jan-13 17:23:57

Now I don't complain much but I so would want to get this idiot into trouble.

well you have been reported to the Police for shoplifting'

If I had been you, I'd have stood there and told her you would wait for the police. They can't do you for shoplifting unless you've attempted to go out of the exit. Would have loved to see that little exchange with the police. grin

And it's not a police desk - it's just a security desk isn't it?

allthegoodnamesweretaken Sun 06-Jan-13 17:24:04

sounds more like she needed restraining hermione (ho ho ho). What a nutter OP you didn't do anything wrong!

10storeylovesong Sun 06-Jan-13 17:24:08

She sounds crazy. There is no such thing as a walk off?! And theft is only complete once you have passed all points of payment without making any attempt to pay. Definitely complain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now