Talk

Advanced search

To ask you to define modern feminisim?

(91 Posts)
Cocoflower Tue 07-Jun-11 21:15:27

There is much talk on MN about modern feminisim.

Its not been something I have ever given much thought about until now.

So can I ask;what exactly is and isn't modern feminisim?

diabolo Tue 07-Jun-11 21:17:15

It isn't feeling you have to conform to what a man wants, in order to make your BF or DH happy.

It is being yourself, with a valid and educated opinion of the world.

Cocoflower Tue 07-Jun-11 21:20:31

But if there is any part of you that might at times want to conform to what a man wants would this be ok?

SybilBeddows Tue 07-Jun-11 21:21:52

It is a political movement aimed at achieving equality for women.

It isn't that different from the feminism of the 70s or even earlier: a lot of the same themes are persisting, despite claims that we now have equality.

diabolo Tue 07-Jun-11 21:25:06

being yourself I think speaks for itself - occasionally I like my DH to take control and give me a darn good seeing to grin. I like to think that this is perfectly acceptable.

On a less flippant note, I think as long as you are not pretending to be someone or something you don't feel comfortable with - it's OK.

HerBeX Tue 07-Jun-11 21:27:53

I think it's the same as old fashioned feminism actually: a movement to agitate for the recognition of women as full human beings, whose lives, concerns and outcomes matter as much as those of men.

AliceWhirled Tue 07-Jun-11 21:28:28

I think Sybil defines it well.

There are different types of feminism but that is the central point.

HerBeX Tue 07-Jun-11 21:28:28

And no, I don't think YABU to ask for a definition... grin

MillyR Tue 07-Jun-11 21:29:09

Feminism is the belief that women as a group should have social, economic and political rights and opportunities that are equal to those of men as a group.

Within the UK, typical feminist issues would be the high number of women living in poverty, health care provision for women and the treatment of victims of domestic violence.

In terms of global issues, major issues are sex trafficking, poverty and violence against women, especially that sanctioned by the state.

One of the major Amnesty International campaigns is about violence against women.

It isn't really about freedom to be yourself, choice or freedom to express an opinion. That is more about libertarianism, although there are feminist libertarians, but such issues are often not at the top of the list of concerns that feminists get involved in.

Sorry if this is an Xpost.

AliceWhirled Tue 07-Jun-11 21:29:54

And HerBex's definition. Xposted.

And no, YANBU. There's a whole board that discusses the differences.

PrinceHumperdink Tue 07-Jun-11 21:31:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cocoflower Tue 07-Jun-11 21:31:35

But how about simple things like a man holding a door open for you- DH considers this polite and gentlemanly but stopped doing this now after a woman was said how "dare you think as a woman I cant open a door myself".

Is this part of feminism?

celadon Tue 07-Jun-11 21:32:03

SybilBeddows Tue 07-Jun-11 21:32:29

I know where Diabolo is coming from though: what she is describing is how that equality might play out at a personal level.

so while for me feminism is much more than conforming or not conforming to what your dp wants, that is certainly part of it.

celadon Tue 07-Jun-11 21:33:22

PrinceHumperdink Tue 07-Jun-11 21:33:23

AyeRobot Tue 07-Jun-11 21:33:43

Who the fuck are all of these women who get mardy over door opening by men? They crop up these kind of threads all the time.

I think it's just one who gets around a bit.

Cocoflower Tue 07-Jun-11 21:36:07

It really did happen AyeRobot!

I guess this types of incidences make people wonder is this what feminisim is hence why I was intrested to get proper,educated answers from well informed posters.

SybilBeddows Tue 07-Jun-11 21:36:28

we should all go around being polite and holding doors open for each other grin

Some of the old chivalrous bits of politeness have their origins in sexism, and the idea that women are weak and have to be protected. So it would be nice to move on from that to a situation where we all go round being generally thoughtful about door-holding no matter what the sex is of the people involved. But in practice if some nice bloke is doing it to be polite it is a bit harsh to have a go at him....

diabolo Tue 07-Jun-11 21:36:44

I've decided I'm a rubbish feminist!

I like men (some of, anyway). I like good manners. I like sex. I like good sex. I don't feel inadequate. I don't feel opressed. I'm actually very happy.

Goodbye thread.

HerBeX Tue 07-Jun-11 21:37:17

When did it happen? Who was the woman? What was her diagnosis?

grin

I tend to think she is an urban myth as well tbh. Are you sure your DH didn't just invent her to pursue an argument?

SybilBeddows Tue 07-Jun-11 21:37:43

???????

SybilBeddows Tue 07-Jun-11 21:39:03

x-posted, my ?????? was in response to Diabolo.

no-one has said feminists don't like men or sex or manners! And where on earth did the thing about being inadequate come from? confused

AyeRobot Tue 07-Jun-11 21:40:35

I guess it depends whether the door-opening is accompanied by a cloak-laying type gesture. That would piss me off, I have to say. But otherwise, I am an equal-opps door-opener/openee.

Oh, diabolo. Don't hide the thread. You might learn that feminists like manners and sex too.

Cocoflower Tue 07-Jun-11 21:40:39

Poor DH it really happened.
The only argument would be from me is when he doesn't hold the door open for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now