Talk

Advanced search

HELP! Which 'scary' films would you let your 6 year old watch for Halloween?

(45 Posts)
NotTheToothFairy22 Sat 31-Oct-20 12:50:17

I'm obviously not going to let her watch Nightmare on Elm Street or The exorcist but DD wants a 'scary' film for tonight for our Halloween movie night seeing as there's no trick or treating this year.

She's quite brave and watches stupid creepy doll videos from her favourite youtubers and has watched Goosebumps etc but I don't want to scare the shit out of her so wanted to ask for suggestions for suitable halloween films which aren't too young but won't give her nightmares either. I'm the biggest wuss ever so would never let her watch anything too scary but she's insisting it has to be a bit scary for tonight.

What are yours watching and what age are they?

OP’s posts: |
bringmelaughter Sat 31-Oct-20 12:54:24

Coraline and Scooby doo are very popular in our house.

Snufkins Sat 31-Oct-20 12:59:07

The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episodes.

Toy Story of Terror

LoseLooseLucy Sat 31-Oct-20 13:01:23

Coraline is good but may be a bit creepy for some 6 year olds. Monster House is good too.

PatchworkElmer Sat 31-Oct-20 13:02:07

Hocus Pocus?

Peanutbutteryogurt Sat 31-Oct-20 13:02:13

Hocus pocus?

DesperatelySeekingSunshine Sat 31-Oct-20 13:03:35

Hocus Pocus, The Nightmare before Christmas.
The Simpsons episodes have been a big hit here over the last week... but if id seen them first I’d have vetoed them.
I didn’t realise how gruesome they are.

BabyYoda Sat 31-Oct-20 13:05:12

Ghostbusters or Casper? Both have slightly scary bits so depends on the child.

stopchewingeverything Sat 31-Oct-20 13:05:19

Caspar!

movingonup20 Sat 31-Oct-20 13:05:23

The 50's horror movies are great for kids, not scary at all but enough for a little jump.

BillyAndTheSillies Sat 31-Oct-20 13:07:24

Favourites here are Nightmare Before Christmas, Frankenweenie and Simpson's Halloween episodes.

Wearywithteens Sat 31-Oct-20 13:08:37

My dd has nightmares for years after seeing Coraline - she’s now 19 and still talks about it! What about something a bit lighter like Matilda? Or Scooby Doo?

NotExactlyMrsCurrentAffairs Sat 31-Oct-20 13:11:36

Hotel transylvania

NeutralJanet Sat 31-Oct-20 13:13:17

I've just watched the original version of The Witches with DD, Anjelica Huston is pretty scary in it. Haven't watched the new version but I've heard its not that great.

KizzyWayfarer Sat 31-Oct-20 13:16:44

I was thinking Corpse Bride. Or Coco is appropriate if not scary.

LoseLooseLucy Sat 31-Oct-20 13:16:50

Wearywithteens

My dd has nightmares for years after seeing Coraline - she’s now 19 and still talks about it! What about something a bit lighter like Matilda? Or Scooby Doo?

My niece (16) is the same, she was terrified of it.

Frouby Sat 31-Oct-20 13:17:25

Not Coraline, dd is 16 and still traumatised by it, awful film.

Me and ds 6 watched Ghostbusters the other day, Hocus Pocus is good, Goosebumps and Escape to Witch Mountain is it? Also Harry Potter is halloweeny if she's not seen them.

NotTheToothFairy22 Sat 31-Oct-20 13:19:07

Oh The Witches was always one of my favs, I wonder if I can persuade her to watch the original.

She has seen Hotel Transylvania, The Nightmare before Christmas, Monster House and Caspar. She really does like the creepier movies, she's not like me at all!

She has asked me what Hocus Pocus was about so I think she might be angling for that. I personally thought it was a bit shit but will watch again if that's the one she goes for.

OP’s posts: |
WeCameToDance Sat 31-Oct-20 13:44:05

The haunted mansion?

ODFOx Sat 31-Oct-20 14:10:38

Hocus Pocus is not shit!
Omg! You killed Halloween!

LoseLooseLucy Sat 31-Oct-20 14:19:11

ODFOx

Hocus Pocus is not shit!
Omg! You killed Halloween!

Agreed! I like Hocus Pocus 🧙‍♀️

Forky123 Sat 31-Oct-20 14:22:27

Oh we watched Hocus Pocus the other day all all thought it was crap - DC are 6 and 9.

Tonight we are choosing between Gremlins, Ghostbusters or ET.

They loved Teenwolf a few months back.

InDubiousBattle Sat 31-Oct-20 14:22:48

I think The Corpse Bride is on I TV 2 this afternoon, me and my 6 year old will be watching it later.

Brownsauce83 Sat 31-Oct-20 14:26:39

I started watching Hocus Pocus with my Dd who is 8. We had to turn it off when the corpses started emerging from the ground, it was much too scary for her. I had also forgotten all the talk about virgins at the beginning when they find the house, that was a fun one to explain hmm

Soubriquet Sat 31-Oct-20 14:29:44

I’m an adult and coraline scares the shit outta me blush

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in