Talk

Advanced search

Renting / Notice and Viewings

(37 Posts)
WheresTheEvidence Tue 15-Sep-20 16:16:15

I have been renting privately for 4 years. Last week I recieved notice to end the tenancy. My landlord wants to do viewings but I am uncomfortable with people coming in and out of the flat at all times can I ask they do a virtual tour or wear masks.

OP’s posts: |
tectonicplates Tue 15-Sep-20 16:40:03

You are not required to let anyone in at all. Even in normal times, you are not legally obliged to let anyone in to your home for a viewing. If you've been given notice anyway, then your landlord is just going to have to wait.

Intelinside57 Tue 15-Sep-20 16:43:35

Yes, what tectonic says. Even if there is something in your rental agreement saying you have to allow viewings it's not legally enforceable. I would just say no, you are not willing to allow any viewings (no excuses as they would give the landlord loopholes to work with). If you have any problems you can get more information from Shelter.

WheresTheEvidence Tue 15-Sep-20 17:48:12

Okay.

Its just a lot to take in. Trying to find a new flat in under 6 weeks is going to be tricky enough but now

Shes booking appointments for workmen that she wants me to be here for and talking about viewings.

Will look up shelter.

Thank you.

WheresTheEvidence Tue 15-Sep-20 19:01:51

So on shelter I've just read that she needs to give me 6 months notice due to covid is this right? Or wishful reading

Butterer Tue 15-Sep-20 19:03:22

WheresTheEvidence

So on shelter I've just read that she needs to give me 6 months notice due to covid is this right? Or wishful reading

100% right. Up to a week or two ago, the required notice was 3 months, up from 2 months pre-covid times.

Butterer Tue 15-Sep-20 19:07:12

Date you were given notice, and minimum notice period:
On or after 29 August 2020: 6 months
Between 26 March and 28 August 2020:3 months
Before 26 March 2020: 2 months

england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/eviction/section_21_eviction/section_21_eviction_process

It's also not your responsibility to point her error out.

WheresTheEvidence Tue 15-Sep-20 19:09:26

Recieved letter 4th September asking me to leave the property by the 16th November because wants to rent property differently.

Butterer Tue 15-Sep-20 19:10:07

Yep. It's invalid as notice to quit.

WheresTheEvidence Tue 15-Sep-20 19:11:38

I sent a message saying.

Recieved. Wherestheevidence

So haveng formally agreed.

Think I need to speak to shelter properly. Thanks for highlighting them for me

Butterer Tue 15-Sep-20 19:13:23

They are really useful/helpful. I've always had a little difficulty getting though their phone line straight away, but it's always been worth it. Good luck!

Butterer Tue 15-Sep-20 19:17:16

When I had an eviction notice and couldn't afford to move/was contesting it, I was referred to the community law service? by shelter, who found me a legal aid solicitor (about a decade ago, and a few years ago too). . Before that, I didn't know I had the right to stay in a property until an eviction was court enforced - there is no legal obligation to leave on the notice expiry date if you have no other options. This does come with other issues though, and isn't and shouldn't be the default for everyone receiving notice...

WheresTheEvidence Tue 15-Sep-20 19:20:23

I'm not planning on staying and being evicted but if it gives me a little leeway on finding somewhere to live. 6 weeks is a tough turn around smile

Butterer Tue 15-Sep-20 19:24:28

Ignore the current notice- anything at the moment anything less than six months isn't legally valid smile

You've got six months from whenever she serves a brand new valid notice, unless legislation changes again, for it to expire. After that point she can apply to take legal action if you're still there - but only after that point.
Christ knows how a landlord isn't aware of this stuff.

Butterer Tue 15-Sep-20 19:26:35

*there are exceptions to the 6 month notice rule - eg serious anti social or criminal behaviour- but this doesn't sound like any of those apply.

Batshitbeautycosmeticsltd Tue 15-Sep-20 19:29:57

She could fuck right off with the viewings and your having to wait round for her workmen - greedy bitch wants to keep trousering cash whilst you do her dirty work.

And she can't turf you out the fast, either.

Butterer Tue 15-Sep-20 19:31:43

grin
Beautifully put

Batshitbeautycosmeticsltd Tue 15-Sep-20 19:32:56

I'd message her back the legislation, 'The notice period does not comply with current legislation. It is too short.'

The link the right to quiet enjoyment legislation and say: 'Additionally I will not entertain viewings or facilitate unnecessary work to the property whilst I am occupying it.'

WheresTheEvidence Tue 15-Sep-20 19:34:47

Butterer no nothing like that. Have always paid on time been there almost 5 years no real issues over that time. Just wants to rent the property in a different way.

Butterer Tue 15-Sep-20 19:43:37

In that case you're fine smile

Batshitbeautycosmeticsltd Tue 15-Sep-20 19:49:11

WheresTheEvidence

Butterer no nothing like that. Have always paid on time been there almost 5 years no real issues over that time. Just wants to rent the property in a different way.

What she wants is not your problem. The notice period is too short and you do not have to facilitate her getting the property ready and let out whilst you are paying to occupy it so she doesn't lose out on precious cash.

I've had to change the lock barrels in rented accommodation for unscrupulous landlords and agents still trying to enter the place to do viewings after we'd said no (that's legal, too, as long as you change them back).

Fuck 'em! They all pull the 'but it's MY property! It's not your house!' Yes, but I am paying for the hire of exclusive use of it. Premier Inn owns the hotel, but if you rent a room in one you don't let the staff in to show it off to potential customers or hoteliers whilst you're in it having paid a fee for the space's exclusive use, do you? Thought not.

Batshitbeautycosmeticsltd Tue 15-Sep-20 19:50:17

Butterer

In that case you're fine smile

smile

Pipandmum Tue 15-Sep-20 19:55:52

I don't understand the reasoning behind not telling your landlady that she is required to give six months notice? If you have been happy there and your relationship is good, why not? It may purely be an oversight on her side. Otherwise she is assuming you have agreed to move out when she said, and what will happen then? Just give her a heads up and avoid all sorts of difficulties.
As for viewings when the times comes, you are entitled to refuse. However, you could possibly also allow a couple times a week for viewings if you are amenable. Your landlady is not your enemy, and I think a bit of compromise on both sides helps.
Regardless, start looking.

WheresTheEvidence Tue 15-Sep-20 19:59:58

Pip I'm not trying to inconvenience her or paint her as a baddie.

But I'm not comfortable to allow strangers in and out my home. I have just had covid and don't want to allow people I don't know in with their germs.

Also in this climate there aren't many rentals available I have applied for several but I don't want to jump into the fire and end up somewhere awful because I'm stressing and taking the first place I find because what kf another doesn't come up on the next 6 weeks.

Butterer Tue 15-Sep-20 20:06:16

@Pipandmum - it's a useful thing to know re tenant's rights, that's all - i only found out about it recently on here. If you've a good relationship with your landlord then it isn't relevant; if your landlord's a dick then it's a good tool to use if you wish.

I'd expect a responsible landlord to know that 6 weeks has never met the legal required notice period in these circumstances though.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in