Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Balance bike/trike/scuttle bug for a 2 year old

(33 Posts)
Summerdays2014 Wed 04-Oct-17 19:13:11

Hi,

My son will be 2 a few weeks after Christmas and I'm wanting to get him some type of bike for Christmas. Not sure what to type to go for at all really. When will he be ready for a bike with stabilisers? What would you recommend at the age of 2? Many thanks.

KingIrving Wed 04-Oct-17 19:27:11

I think this PUKI balance bike is the best www.kidsbikeshop.co.uk/balance-bikes.html, they come in many sizes

ohnowhatcanido Wed 04-Oct-17 19:32:41

My DS got a balance bike when he turned two. It was a bit early as he was too short to use it properly, he started using it properly at about 2y 9mo. If you have a very agile and fairly tall DS you may be fine earlier, but we should have waited till his 3rd birthday really.

He has a scuttlebug and he LOVES it and has been whizzing around the house on it since he was at least 2, so that would be my recommendation. They are especially good for indoor use if you have a little bit of space with wooden or tiled floor. They are not so good for outdoor use.

ohnowhatcanido Wed 04-Oct-17 19:33:36

Oh and my 3year old can't use pedals yet. I think stabilizer bikes are more for 4 year olds - though I might be wrong here.

Ploppie4 Wed 04-Oct-17 19:34:24

This is small and perfect for a 2 year old

[[https://www.fun4kids.co.uk/tiny-bike-balance-bike-purple.html?cx_campaignId=167734206&cx_adGroupId=24177953406&cx_feedItemId=&cx_targetId=pla-171492375126&cx_locationInterestId=&cx_locationPhysicalId=1007126&cx_matchType=&cx_network=g&cx_device=m&cx_deviceModel=&cx_adId=90916238046&cx_keyword=&cx_placement=&cx_placementTarget=&cx_param1=&cx_param2=&cx_adPosition=1o1&cx_channel=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6aDKu83X1gIVRo0bCh1V0Q77EAQYASABEgJiovD_BwE|]

Summerdays2014 Wed 04-Oct-17 19:35:43

Ohno, that's really helpful. He's small (9th percentile) so that makes me worry about the balance bike. I saw some kids on a scuttle bug today at the park, I'd never seen them before but they looked great which is what got me thinking...

isthistoonosy Wed 04-Oct-17 19:39:15

Ours were about 2.5 when they started on balance bikes but could have waited to three as they really just walked them around until then. They both used scuttle bug type toys from around 1 yr esp inside the house. Eldest started using a peddle bike (without stabilisers) just before turning four.

isthistoonosy Wed 04-Oct-17 19:39:59

Just seen your ds is little, mine are both on the tall / sturdy side.

Evelynismyspyname Wed 04-Oct-17 19:42:17

There is a tiny Puky Balance Bike - if you get him that and a pedal ride on (tractor or something) and use them lots he won't ever need stabilisers, he'll be riding a proper bike without by 3.5

However for most kids pedaling comes after balance, so a tiny balance bike first. Some people prefer to go the scooter route and the mini micro is supposedly easy for 2 year olds to use. It depends really on where and how often you'll be able to let him use it.

43percentburnt Wed 04-Oct-17 19:48:22

Ds got a strider balance bike for Christmas when he was 2.4 months, he was tiny and walked around with it. We took him out most days from springtime and by 3 he was whizzing around on it. He got a 2 wheeler frog at 3.8 and was riding within 20 minutes. We never needed a bike with stabilisers. We were worried the frog would be too big (he was approx 90cm when he got it) but he loves it.

I would definitely get a balance bike. The strider is from 18 months our 19 month twins are already walking around on his old one.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Wed 04-Oct-17 19:48:54

I think balance bikes can be better from 3 tbh. Something not quite so speedy for when they're only 2. Skuttlebugs are great.

Have a look at the decathlon balance bikes, when you do get one. they're excellent, cheap and very very light

Evelynismyspyname Wed 04-Oct-17 19:49:45

My eldest was tiny too - smallest Puky is really tiny. It fit tiny dc1 on her second birthday - tall dc2 used it from 16 months!

It's about opportunity though - the walking them thing happens at first, but if you live somewhere your kids can use it endlessly they'll easily get the hang of riding it properly. Dc2 who adopted his big sister's balance bike so early was riding to take her to kindergarten (safe cycle paths well away from roads with smooth surfaces abroad - 3 miles each way) by the time he turned 2. He adopted his big sister's pedal bike (no stabilisers) at 2.5 and rode it to kindergarten the next day confidently.

The blance bike had been his absolute favourite thing in the world for a year by then though - he'd have slept with it if I'd let him, he gave it a name etc. My other two weren't as besotted so not quite as early riding a normal bike!

ohnowhatcanido Wed 04-Oct-17 19:49:50

Is that 9th percentile for height? Mine is 50th so seemingly not that short, but he's quite sturdy and not very agile which didn't help. If he's 9th percentile for height then I'd definitely wait for the balance bike and go for a scuttlebug bug. They are so whizzy (also cheap for the amount of use they get).

My DS also has a scooter but again he's not great at this and certainly couldn't scoot at 2. He could manage to sit on the seat attachment and push himself on it but it is a bit clunky and not hugely easy to maneuver.

Perhaps a trike would be a good halfway house if you want something he can use in the park. Can you go to a toddler group and let him play with some of the pedal toys to guage how he gets on?

43percentburnt Wed 04-Oct-17 19:52:50

Just saw your ds is little, all of mine are tiny - dd is at the very bottom of the chart and has been since birth. The bike has a dinky baby saddle which you change when they are bigger (it comes with 2 saddles and takes 30 seconds to change over).

BrawneLamia Wed 04-Oct-17 19:53:45

Ds is 22 months and already loves his wheely bug.

I'm getting him a micro scooter for his birthday as he's always trying to steal his sister's, and at nearly 5 she's still nowhere near ready to give it up.

I've tried him on a balance bike but he wasn't ready for it yet. Dd never got into hers, she much preferred her scooter. But some kids seem to love them.

minipie Wed 04-Oct-17 20:02:16

DD is quite small (25th centile, on a tall day grin) and I would say:

- mini micro scooter is hands down her favourite thing. You can get a seat and short handle (O bar) for it to make it more of a scoot along trike. Will be used daily till she is 5 no question.

- she loved the scuttlebug at 1 but is now starting to grow out of it at 2.5, not size wise but it's lost its appeal

- she has a Strider balance bike which is one of the smallest balance bikes (it's very adjustable so will last for when she is older) - she is just starting to "get it" at 2.5 but there would be no harm in waiting till 3

So overall - if you haven't got a mini micro - get one! If you do, maybe a balance bike, Strider is a good long lasting option.

peachy94 Wed 04-Oct-17 20:09:34

DS got a scuttle bug at 18months and still uses it at 4.5, he didn't fit on a balance bike till 3 but he wasn't really interested in it till this summer as he turned 4

evilgiraffe Wed 04-Oct-17 20:54:18

My DD1 is small, and got an Isla balance bike for her second birthday. She loves it, got more out of it as she approached three, but then she's not very physically brave. If you have an adventurous child then go for it at two - my DD1's peers are charging around on their balance bikes, having ridden them since 2/2.5

Summerdays2014 Wed 04-Oct-17 21:05:52

Thanks everyone. Might get a scuttle bug for Christmas and a balance bike for birthday. I'll probably put it away until the summer when he's 2 and a half. With the two being so close together I like the idea of getting him things he can grow into during the year.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Wed 04-Oct-17 22:55:38

Great idea

Equimum Thu 05-Oct-17 06:47:58

He'll grow out of a scuttlebug quite quickly. DS2 received one for Christmas last year, aged 16 months, but it won't be great for much longer now.

A balance bike is probably the way to go, but make sure you get a small and light-weight one. PiL bought DS a very nice wooden balance bike when he was about 2, but it was too big and heavy for well over a year.

Ploppie4 Thu 05-Oct-17 07:21:23

The scuttle bug was a two minute wonder for all mine. They all used the Tiny balance bike though from 1.5/2 upwards.

Ploppie4 Thu 05-Oct-17 07:22:24

Get a metal balance bike. Those wooden ones look nice but warp and snap and are massive.

QuentinSummers Thu 05-Oct-17 07:26:22

+1 for mini micro and seat. They are perfect for 2 year olds.

Ploppie4 Thu 05-Oct-17 10:22:09

Mini micros are ace

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now