Please or to access all these features

Work

Chat with other users about all things related to working life on our Work forum.

advice - go back now or wait?

6 replies

SevernTrentWater · 04/12/2009 14:14

I want to know, what would you do? and why?
Do i keep on working while little one is 4 months - 14 months,
or wait til lo is 14 months?

i'm back at work, 4 days full time, well it's professional training, i'm not yet qualified in my field, i like it and hate the work at the same time, but what i really upsetting me is the childcare - i'm not happy, tried nursery, tried childminder, still not happy and i've noticed changes in my los behaviour - no longer sleeps threw, wakes 5 times a night, irritable and clingy.

i know my dp and others will be very dissapointed in me if i suspend my training now, but whether i continue or take time out i'll still graduate the same time.

thing is, it's 12 months full time (no part time option) - done 1 month already, but when i finish i only need to work one/two days a week til she goes to school.

is it better me keep going now - lo is 4 months - even though i constantly worry, hence the half hearted thing with work, or will i feel the same way if i put lo in nursery at 14 months,

my mum seemms to think better to put lo in childcare while a baby, get this career under my belt then take time out from 14 months til she goes to school.

OP posts:
SevernTrentWater · 04/12/2009 14:16

( i graduate the same time because of the delay between clompleting my professional training and actually qualifying, it's about 7 months!)

OP posts:
PrivetDancer · 04/12/2009 14:23

I'd probably be tempted to suspend if it doesn't feel right at the moment. Although if you have tried both a nursery and a childminder in a month, it's not surprising your baby is unsettled. Either would take a month or so to settle to I expect.

My dd went to nursery from 8m, she's now 15m and I do feel better about her being there now than I did then. Not just because we're used to it, but at this age they start to get something out of it, like enjoying the messy play, painting, etc.

CirrhosisByTheSea · 04/12/2009 14:34

what would I do - suspend it and spend time with my baby
why - because you can go back to this training later but never go back to those four days per week of your child's early months.

WorkInProgress · 04/12/2009 14:43

I found it much easier working a 4 day week when DS and DD were babies than when they were older. We were lucky because we had a great nursery. When they got older, particularly when they were at school holidays, inset days etc made it v difficult to do a proper job, so for what it's worth I would try and stick to the training for now so you can do the flexible job later on. I would also say give childcare more than a month before changing to give it a chance to work and not to unsettle your lo. That said with hindsight I would have prefered to spend more time with mine when they were little if we could have afforded it.

Mamulik · 06/12/2009 20:36

Go for it! Or you will never leave baby and will be sittting at home filling sorry for yourself.

SleightiesChick · 06/12/2009 20:49

I'm not following all of this, I think, but from what I understand your LO is in nursery now at 4 months. I do think that's a bit soon if it can be avoided and so I'd say wait till 14 months (not sure why it has to be then, brain a bit slow tonight I think).

New posts on this thread. Refresh page
Swipe left for the next trending thread