Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Work

Stuck on the same salary for years

4 replies

Nowifi · 02/03/2023 21:21

Anyone else in the same boat? I have applied for so many jobs and had so many interviews but can never get further than where I am.

Mumsnet it seems is full of high earners but is there anyone else who is stuck on 30k and nowhere to go? Thank god for the overdraft! I think I earn less or equal to what my outgoings are now so it's just a bit crappy!

OP posts:
Please
or

cocksstrideintheevening · 02/03/2023 21:48

Have you asked
For a pay rise?

Please
or

kljk78 · 03/03/2023 07:45

What are you doing to try to earn more? Have you got a career plan? Looked at mentoring? Acting up? Additional projects? Training? Are you getting support with your applications? I move up every 18-24 months, but it's like a military operation preparing for it when I make the decision, I don't just throw in applications (not saying you are, you haven't expanded) I carefully consider the steps I need to take.

Please
or

Spendonsend · 03/03/2023 08:09

I am but I know because i am part-time. I think I would have pushed on otherwise. I did do an extra qualification to get from 24k to 30k though and I do have an idea where I want to go next as PP said. I look at job specs and see what skills /experience they need and try and get that in place in my current role Having said that i do think some jobs just have a bit of a cap on earnings and unless you change careers entirely there isnt many places to go.

i am stuck part time due to a child with complex sen (my husband pulls his weight and has trashed his career and mental health too)

Please
or

Roseroserosey · 03/03/2023 08:16

It depends on the sector, but generally to secure decent pay rises means moving around companies/departments often, applying for jobs you don't always meet the whole criteria for but of which you can highlight it won't be an issue; ie if the person spec says experience using x computer programme, if you haven't used it before still apply and say I have learnt and used y before which demonstrates my capability to learn new systems. There was some research that said more men than women apply for jobs if they only meet 60% of the criteria and are often successful in securing jobs.

Of course other factors individual to people are important. If your qualifications mean you have hit a glass ceiling ask what training work can offer you, look for free gov courses or invest in upskilling.

Please
or