Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Work

Hanging in notice and notice period

13 replies

KittensNotMittens · 21/01/2023 16:26

I’ve been at this current place for over a year now.

Probation was six months and noone has bothered to do any reviews, or end of probation meeting, and HR aren’t bothered, so consequently I never did get my ‘proper’ contract of employment.

My notice period of quite long (16 weeks) and I am at the stage when I would merrily never go back. My notice period in probation two weeks.

So if I l bounce now I’d only have to work the two weeks? Or would they hold me to my lengthy notice period (best case scenario if they didn’t make me work the whole 4 months!).

Anyone know? As far as I know they don’t have employment lawyers but I suspect they would get unpleasant is money is involved.

OP posts:
Please
or

yoshiblue · 21/01/2023 16:28

I think if you hear nothing about probation, it's assumed it's been passed. Someone with more legal knowledge may come on to tell me otherwise?

Please
or

Ursula82 · 21/01/2023 16:31

You did sign your “proper” contract

you don’t get a new one if you pass your probation

Please
or

Ursula82 · 21/01/2023 16:32

So yes… full notice period applies

but I suspect your not exactly employee of the month, so perhaps t you may be able to negotiate down?

Please
or

Stardustkid · 21/01/2023 16:33

Technically you owe them the full amount of notice, but let them know when you want to leave it may work for them.

Please
or

Ursula82 · 21/01/2023 16:33

you’re

Please
or

Ursula82 · 21/01/2023 16:34

Do you have another job lined up?

Please
or

AuroraForever · 21/01/2023 16:43

You’re not in the probation period so the 16 weeks notice applies. If you leave any earlier then you’ll be in breach of contract and HR will then be bothered! Depending on circumstances there they may a) discuss with you a mutual arrangement of a lesser notice period b) put you on garden leave until the end of your notice period.

Please
or

KittensNotMittens · 21/01/2023 16:45

Ursula82 · 21/01/2023 16:32

So yes… full notice period applies

but I suspect your not exactly employee of the month, so perhaps t you may be able to negotiate down?

Gee thanks! Actually I work like a bloody dog and they know how much I do!

I just can’t keep up the hugely long and busy days, and the culture is awful. And I am counselling crying colleagues in a frequent basis.

OP posts:
Please
or

KittensNotMittens · 21/01/2023 16:48

I don’t have another job lined up.

Just before Christmas I was offered another job and my boss persuaded me to stay. He has now had enough and resigned too.

OP posts:
Please
or

Ursula82 · 21/01/2023 17:05

KittensNotMittens · 21/01/2023 16:48

I don’t have another job lined up.

Just before Christmas I was offered another job and my boss persuaded me to stay. He has now had enough and resigned too.

easier to find new employment when you’re actually in employment

Please
or

Princessglittery · 21/01/2023 17:12

@KittensNotMittens Firstly, it really does depend on your contract, the probation policy etc. Make sure you have copies of these and get legal advice - you home or car insurance may have legal cover.

I have always worked in the basis of how do you “make” an employee work their notice I.e. drag them
out of their home, drive them to work and then force them to do their work? Refuse to accept a sick certificate etc. I know I’m exaggerating but the reality is if you only give the 2 weeks probation notice the likelihood of them taking action beyond possibly a few letter is minimal. Firstly they have to demonstrate a financial loss.

Consider handing in your notice but look for another job, as soon as you have one go to them and say I’ve worked x weeks notice but new job starts on y so my last day will be. Plus you owe me x weeks leave so worked a good proportion of my notice. Bye

Please
or

Princessglittery · 21/01/2023 17:13

Plus whilst working your notice stop going the extra mile.

Please
or

KittensNotMittens · 21/01/2023 17:38

They owe me a lot of leave (because I haven’t been able to take it because of the workloads).

I work very long days, plus weekends, and for a few months was doing two jobs because another employee was signed off with stress and anxiety. If she didn’t do her job, I couldn’t do mine, so I had no choice. Not a bloody word of thanks either!

They keep piling on the work and then whining when I can’t get it all done (occasionally saying ‘oh we’ll get you some help’ then dumping more on me).

I have never had a job in a place so toxic. My old boss is working his (shortened) leave and cartwheeling around the place. Lots of very unhappy bunnies in that place.

OP posts:
Please
or